Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Possible new project  (Read 9591 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Possible new project
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 03:29:23 AM »
Yup, KTM is impossible to get parts for once it leaves the showroom floor. 

I must say though, my KTM 495 is pretty much the best trail bike I have ever ridden, over taking Maico but Maico is still up there as a great trail bike, the KTM is like a Maico with a little bit of steroids.  Now, the 495 I have is the 1984 model with the 5 speed engine, both make the difference, the lower compression and bottom end power of the 1984 modeled with the 5 speed gear box with a 1st gear so low makes single track even easier than on a Maico.  Just don't break anything because you'll never ride it again.

There are places that manufacture Maico parts and a lot of Maico bearings are standard as well.  Plus, Maico being a small factory left few changes each year meaning that certain parts are the same for many years and not only that, but even the 250 and 490 for example share many of the same parts including the frame.  Actually, before 1983 they actually shared the same cases, the 250 had inserts into the crank case to make the crank volume smaller.

There are certain parts though with a Maico that pretty much are like giving away a bike.  the clutch basket is one that is harder to find.  Any 1982 special frame parts also, that's the bastard year, they don't like to make for example the special brake rods for that bike or bling brake pedals. 

also, kostler in germany is making some of the parts from 78+ new as well.  Thats where I got my clutch basket for the 82.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »
From what I understand,when the last of the Dutch Maicos slipped into recievership Wulfsport of the U.K. bought all of the pre 83 parts,tooling etc..What this means is that it is now possible to buy a brand new vintage Maico from Wulfsport.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 04:44:02 AM »
I refurbished, not restored, a 1984 KTM125MX about 9 years ago. Parts were available but hard to find. Last year I was given a 1986 KTM250MX in non-running condition and parts were impossible to find for that bike. I tossed it out on clean up day in a fit of frustration, LOL.

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 07:40:51 AM »
About 6 years ago I Ebayed a 79 Honda CR250 with Fox airshocks to a guy in Scotland. I've often wondered how that restoration turned out - I think he was intending to race it in the EVO class. In my travels I seem to come across the odd 450/480 Honda fairly often.