Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: I like the new husky!  (Read 9867 times)

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: I like the new husky!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
There is a good article on the too tech racing sight about the chains effect on suspension.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
There is a good article on the too tech racing sight about the chains effect on suspension.

You got a linky thingy so I can read this??
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
Oops,I was reviewing the posts on this and noticed maicoman already mentioned the suspension effect :-[Oh well.
As for changing it,if all you have to do is take off the swingarm,I don't think that's beyond the mechanical reach of most.For me,I've never had to change the front more than once a year and I grease the swingarm once a year anyway soooooo.....not a big deal imo.On the other hand,for the average rider,I have my doubts we'd notice much difference but if there was a gain to be had-for minimal pain,I'd buy in.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »
What I'm more concerned about is pulling the engine from the bike to do other things.  It seems to me that with the engine and swingarm all lovey-dovey and close like this it'll make that job even more of a pain than it already is.  But like I said, if they've engineered around that and kept it relatively simple so you don't have to disassemble the entire solar system, I don't really see any reason to be against it.

Although it's much less consequential, I am much more horrified by the plastics they've used.  You can't really see it in these pictures but the rear fender looks like it was made of glass and then run over by a truck, then they got a simpleton from the village to re-construct it with wire and a glue-stick.  It's all kinds of messed up, at least if it's the same as it was when I posted about the "stealth bike."

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:11 AM »
Linky thingy for Johnny. :D    http://www.tootechracing.com/Engine%20torque%20-%20Suspension.htm

Explains what chain tension actually does to suspension.Even some ofg the experts might be surprised. ;)

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »
That bike is hidious looking.........nuff said

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 06:32:57 AM »
Linky thingy for Johnny. :D    http://www.tootechracing.com/Engine%20torque%20-%20Suspension.htm

Explains what chain tension actually does to suspension.Even some ofg the experts might be surprised. ;)

Thanks for the linky thingy.... interesting article. I am now confused at a much higher level!  :o :o
Life is short.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »

Very interesting! Reminded me far too much of my college physics classes though, LOL.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »
I think that most people believe that the rear end squat is from the chain tension.The squat is from weight transfer.The chain tension is actually pulling the swingarm and thus the rear wheel down towards the ground.This is how i understand it anyway. :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
I always thought rear-end squat was from torque.  The rear wheel tries to spin clockwise, and the bike reacts by trying to spin counterclockwise, putting leverage on the rear-end, and thus forcing it down.  Perhaps that's what's meant by "weight transfer?"

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
I've always said the beauty of the 2-stroke is it's simplicity and I still believe that however in the case of the Husqvarnas countershaft sprocket aligned with the swingarm pivot and from what I've read that design should give the Husky better traction and alot less wear & tear on the frame & suspension.I'm not so sure if it would be all that great on a motocross or supercross only bike but I do think it would have good benefits on any offroad or enduro bike and I would'nt mind if a  company like Husqvarna or Husaberg would test that design on a 2-stroke offroad/enduro bike especially for the benefit of better traction.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
If you read the article you will notice that he said to brace the front wheel against a wall and let the clutch out and apply throttle and the back of the bike will rise pushing the swingarm down and extending the shock.Click on the link it is in the article.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 04:30:34 AM »
If you read the article you will notice that he said to brace the front wheel against a wall and let the clutch out and apply throttle and the back of the bike will rise pushing the swingarm down and extending the shock.Click on the link it is in the article.

offroader... while I have seen this phenomenon happen in person, I'm not so sure that the same thing happens on a track (or the woods) when you don't have the front wheel against an immovable object.

But hey.... that's just me....
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 04:48:01 AM »
I kind of thought that too.  It seems to me that when you have the front wheel pushed against something, then you've got the front wheel itself pushing rearward on the bike (like when you pull the front brake.)  Because the forks are angled, this is going to cause the bike to push down in the front (and thus want to raise in the rear) because of component vectors and shit.  During the Neolithic Era (eg, when On Any Sunday was made) they had front suspensions that would actually raise up when you pulled the front brake, but these went out of fashion very early.  My suspicion is that they caused the front wheel to have less grip when braking, but I've never ridden a bike with that setup so I'm not sure on that.

All that aside, if the engineers say chain tension puts downward force on the rear wheel I guess I have to believe it, but I'm not going to accept the "put the front wheel against a tree" thought experiment as evidence, because of the other factors at work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:49:54 AM by JETZcorp »

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:52 AM »
I know what you are saying as a friend of mine and myself have talked about this before.Maybe we can get Rick from tootech to do an article for tsm or come on the forum and clear up our questions?

He does mention about the amp link needing a stiffer rate spring when installing one.wonder if the new Husky is the same way?I do like some of theadvantages of the cs pivot myself.Also heard the the husky 2t's will have this chassis design in the future.