Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What Spark-Arrestor Should I Get?  (Read 8276 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
What Spark-Arrestor Should I Get?
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's been revealed that for my birthday (hopefully the last one spent at home) my present is going to consist of a new spark arrestor for my Husky.  I'm not aware of any case in the history of the planet where a dirt bike (as opposed to lighthing and arson, which have caused all the fires around here in my memory) has burned out a forest, but they're still worried that I'm going to burn the entire state of Oregon to the ground, and that they'll be charged all the damages for the entire timber industry of the Pacific Northwest.  After spending a long time explaining why it would be impossible to research what kind of spark arrestors will work on a 1967 Kawasaki with a hand-built custom pipe made by some anonymous person who is now surely dead and buried, the decision of what spark-arrestor to buy for the Husky was presented.

So, I don't really know much about the various kinds of spark-arrestors floating around in the world, so I figured I'd ask you guys what to put on a stock 1982 Husky 250CR pipe.  I was thinking of the FMF Turbinecore 2, because I've heard good things about FMF and the TC2 looks like it's reasonably-priced and not gigantic.  What do you guys think?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: What Spark-Arrestor Should I Get?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »
I know a guy in Oregon City who restored a 1982 Husqvarna 250XC and he put this spark arrestor on the bike.

http://www.bikebandit.com/fmf-universal-spark-arrestor-200cc-500cc-1-1-4

It is a universal spark arrestor.  I have purchased this same spark arrestor and put it on my CR500, 82 Maico 490, 86 Maico 500, 83 Maico 490 and 84 KTM 495.

In some cases it has required you to get creative to cut pipe, buy pipe extensions, use various hose clamps and sealents to install it, but I have installed it successfully on all those bikes.

It is stamped forestry approved and my bikes have been checked by the forestry service many times and it always passes inspection.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
It's a good decision to go with an SA.

I think pretty much anything you get will take some fitting, unless they actually offer one for your bike with stock pipe? I am pretty sure FMF makes a universal one (Edit: I see opfer posted they do) so they may be the way to go.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of it mounted so we have proof LOL  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
BTW, I'm not reccomending that you choose the one I posted, I've never done research on any of them.

I know that I had no spark arrestors on my bikes and went to this one and didn't notice any performance loss.  I just posted the link since I know for sure it will work on your bike and I've used it.

EDIT: The thing about the universal is that the location where the silencer bolts to the bike is not fixed, it's a movable piece. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:23:42 PM by opfermanmotors »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting an ancient topic, but we delayed buying the spark arrestor because we didn't know which size to get, and didn't feel like going into a battle-to-the-death with my current silencer mounting.  This thing is famous for leaking oil and gunk from the hose clamps we've used if it's not done perfectly, and for the first time since 1982, we had it done perfectly.  But, now I think we've pretty much hung the bike up for the year and got around to measuring the size of the stinger.

Now, the outside diameter of the end of the pipe is 1-3/8 inches, and the stock silencer was exactly that diameter as well.  It was held on by a nice strong piece of hose, clamped down to the balls.  However, I'm not sure if the FMF one I've been looking at (the TurbineCore II Universal that Opferman posted) works in this way.  From the picture it kind of looks like it is meant to slide into the stinger itself, and I measured that inside diameter at 1-1/4 inches (the larger of the two sizes FMF makes).  I don't want to go ahead and buy the thing, only to find out that I was wrong and I needed to buy a 1-3/8 size spark arrestor (which is not a size offered by FMF).  So if anyone could just clarify for me how the thing works or what that 1-1/4 number refers to, that would be much appreciated.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:43:57 AM »
Very cool that you're looking into this...

Try this guy, he builds custom pipes and silencers... it's not as costly as you would imagine, in fact it may even be less than buying a universal one. Your best bet is to call him up and talk to him. He's a great guy!

http://www.circlefexhaust.com/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »
What I would recommend is to purchase a 1996 through 1999 Husky WXE250 spark arrestor/silencer, the idea being is that the rest of the motorcycle IS still attached to the silencer. ;D

All kidding aside, I had a look at my 83 430WR and it has an Answer Products/JR Krizman silencer so these parts were available aftermarket when your bike was new.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
Cobra Sparky end cap, removable, servicable, readily available used on ebay in various sizes, and new from Bike Bandit.attaches with a hose clamp, sealable w black or clear rtv sealant.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
I wouldn't recommend the sparky unless you bolt it on, the clamps are useless, and it sticks out 5 feet in the rear.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
The real question is that the original post was back in August, so did Jetz get a spark arrestor already or not?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
The real question is that the original post was back in August, so did Jetz get a spark arrestor already or not?

I want to know if he has a muffler on it at all first.  ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »
Actually, it was discovered that the tires on my car were nearing the point of danger, and because I don't have the cash to buy new ones, it was decided for me that tires were more important than the spark arrestor.  So the Husky is going to stay loud for at least another season, and continue to burn down the forest every time I take it out.    ;)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
I assume you live in the Portland area and if so there must be at least one company that builds "sound proof enclosures" for sawmills etc. locally.In their rubbish bin at the back of the building you will find all kinds of perforated sheet metal scraps that you can make an inner diffuser tube out of.Take your father's hole saw set and a piece of aluminum sheet and make an end cap washer.At your local auto parts store you will find a large inner circlip to replace the one that went missing and allowed your silencer to spill it's guts all over the trail.Pack with silencer packing,pink insulation or what ever is handy and you are off to the races.

I've built quite a few silencers this way,they work well and all the members of this forum will breathe a sigh of relief that at least one of your herd is quiet. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
 So the Husky is going to stay loud for at least another season, and continue to burn down the forest every time I take it out.    ;)

You'd be surprised how many red hot bits come flying out of a two stroke.I was thinking this the other evening as I was cutting a rock maple blowdown for my father with the mighty Jonsered.As it was about dusk the sparks were very visible.Lots of snow here so no biggie but I always throw the screen back in when cutting in the summer time.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.