Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Some pro riders are at my local motocross track this week  (Read 5073 times)

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
Some pro riders are at my local motocross track this week
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
Andrew Short and Ryan Sipes are at the track I have a membership to, for a motocross camp July5-9.  I thought about going out there to see if I could ask either of them a 2t vs 4t question, since I can't ride this week because of their camp.  Does anyone have a respectable way of me bringing up the 4 stroke handicap to either of these 2 pros?  Any other questions or ideas?

Offline mrhp

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Some pro riders are at my local motocross track this week
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
Sipes probably hasn't rode a 2t in 6 years or so..

And shorty rides for Honda...the one company determined to rid the 2t of existence.

BUT...shorty IS into vintage bikes...AND at one point owned a full works 250 to play on...so odds are he like it.

BUt you certainly cant ask...do you think 4t's should be allowed the handicap (using word "handicap" is just asking for trouble)

Instead ask if they like 2t's because for you...and a lot of your buddies...it's the only bike you guys can afford to race....

Or if they were given the option to race either a 250f or a 250 two stroke in a 250 open class...what would they choose...if it were for a championship...

Also ask if they think their salaries would go up if bike sales were double...and ask what it will take to get bike sales up...

Plus ask if they think a normal kid with an average family can even try to go pro...and even try to race any amateur stuff competitively...at current prices, or if they think the sport is headed a different direction than it used to be...

All fair questions...but try not to show huge prejudice towards the 2t...as they make their money riding a 4t.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »
Sipes probably hasn't rode a 2t in 6 years or so..

And shorty rides for Honda...the one company determined to rid the 2t of existence.

BUT...shorty IS into vintage bikes...AND at one point owned a full works 250 to play on...so odds are he like it.

BUt you certainly cant ask...do you think 4t's should be allowed the handicap (using word "handicap" is just asking for trouble)

Instead ask if they like 2t's because for you...and a lot of your buddies...it's the only bike you guys can afford to race....

Or if they were given the option to race either a 250f or a 250 two stroke in a 250 open class...what would they choose...if it were for a championship...

Also ask if they think their salaries would go up if bike sales were double...and ask what it will take to get bike sales up...

Plus ask if they think a normal kid with an average family can even try to go pro...and even try to race any amateur stuff competitively...at current prices, or if they think the sport is headed a different direction than it used to be...

All fair questions...but try not to show huge prejudice towards the 2t...as they make their money riding a 4t.

Well put mrhp....  you cannot use the word handicap...  they won't even acknowledge your existence...  but you can ask if they like 2t's because for you...and a lot of your buddies...it's the only bike you guys can afford to race.... and its more fun to race a 2t.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:41:44 AM »
Excellent advise mrhp!! Thank you!  :D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
I really like the ? ,If they were given an option which bike would they ride? Of course we all here on this site would without a doubt take the 2-stroke 250 over a 250f.Any MX or SX racer out there who has ever raced a 250 two stroke would be really foolish NOT to go with the 2-stroke if given the chance or option to race it against a 250f !!!! ;)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
I really like the ? ,If they were given an option which bike would they ride? Of course we all here on this site would without a doubt take the 2-stroke 250 over a 250f.Any MX or SX racer out there who has ever raced a 250 two stroke would be really foolish NOT to go with the 2-stroke if given the chance or option to race it against a 250f !!!! ;)
No, they would not be foolish, quite the opposite really, they would keep their jobs if they chose the 250f, the factory riders anyways, and besides, at times, the 250f is actually the faster bike, because of it's traction and low end torque, although, with a heavier flywheel I am sure something could be done to improve the 250 2t in this area.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
<snip>
the 250f is actually the faster bike, because of it's traction and low end torque, although, with a heavier flywheel I am sure something could be done to improve the 250 2t in this area.
Sorry for going off-topic, cant resist commenting the statement above.
While having just started riding MX last year, I have at least had the chance to compare my KTM250SX (two-stroke, but you already knew that) to a Suzuki 250f.
I can tell you that I really missed the low end power of my 250 two-stroke when riding the 250 four-stroke. I guess the statement is correct when comparing a 250 two-stroke to a 450 four-stroke.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »
at times, the 250f is actually the faster bike, because of it's traction and low end torque, although, with a heavier flywheel I am sure something could be done to improve the 250 2t in this area.

While this statement might be true at the Amateur level, it's not even close of the Professional level!

If it was close, AMA Pro Motocross would have instated the rule that 250 = 250. But early this year the factories and AMA stated that 250 vs. 250 was not fair. They claim that a journeyman Pro can go 2 to 3 seconds a lap faster using a two-stroke.

If anyone would know it would be the factories. Don't you think?

It works out better for them that no one races a 250 two-stroke against the 250 four-strokes... because then the real truth would be out... that the four-stroke CAN NOT compete head-to-head with a two-stroke. Many more sales would be lost.

Just saying....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
ld not be foolish, quite the opposite really, they would keep their jobs if they chose the 250f, the factory riders anyways, and besides, at times, the 250f is actually the faster bike, because of it's traction and low end torque, although, with a heavier flywheel I am sure something could be done to improve the 250 2t in this area.

Yes, in a real life situation... But this question will probably never become a real life situation. So lets go with the option that all options are open... And as John said before, we all know a 250 2t can out gun a 250f.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
"we all know a 250 2t can out gun a 250f. "

After I get some work done on my KDX200 I plan on taking a friend with a KXF250 on what I hope to be a very educational ride  8)
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »

After I get some work done on my KDX200 I plan on taking a friend with a KXF250 on what I hope to be a very educational ride  8)

I'm with ya Riffraff,
Last weekend I had a couple of guys about half my age on ktm 4 pokes try to keep with me on my yz250, On a black diamond trail. I had a lot more fun than they did.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »

I would love to see the look on his face after your "educational ride" hehehehehehee
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
I didn't get a chance to talk to any of the pro riders.  Even though I'm a member of the track, the main track was closed to everyone except those in the MX camp, so I hung out and rode the pee-wee track (quad track) but never got a chance to see, let alone ask the pros any questions.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »
Reading this post gave me an idea,why don't we try to e-mail some of the pros, take a real calm approach to see if they would let thier guard down and get a honest answer out of them. I know it seems real tabloid like but, we are not trying to catch the dutchess of york with her hand in the cookie jar. We just want to know what they really think.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"