Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: RM 250 LINK  (Read 2723 times)

Offline CANADIANBACON

• View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:30:12 AM »
HOWDY Happy New Year. :D
Iam new here and would like some information.
I race with the Old Timers M/X and would like to put a bigger machine on the line.
I rode a YZ 125 last year and bought a used RM 250 for 2013.
My leg won't reach over the seat like it used to, so a lowering link is in order.
I have looked for one but not sure which one to use.
Does any of you/all use a link on your machine and which one is best to lower the seat height.
THANKS
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:55 AM »
http://www.koubalink.com/RMZ450%20Install.html

The 2nd one will drop the rear 1.75"

Other models available for older bikes too :)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:39 AM »
I have the same problem with my RM, I'm thinking about cutting the seat down some first
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline CANADIANBACON

• View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:36:03 AM »
 HOWDY
Thanks for the reply.
I'll order a set of these links in the new year.
I also will be taking about 1/2 inch out of the sub frame to help lower the seat height.
Any other tips on how to make a 2000 RM250 more user friendly are welcome.
Thanks again.

Offline oppenheimer77us

• View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
I'm a very tall guy and I have the opposite problem but I would be wary about lowering the rear of the bike with a link. You will loose some of the RM's awesome cornering ability was it will kick the front end out a tad. I know RC used to cut his seats down to nothing and lower the sub-frames when he raced Suzuki's and I would do that before I would blunt that Zook razor blade handling, heck thats the reason most people buy a Suzuki.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »
I had a P/C link on my previous 06 rm250. It slightly lowered the rear, but the big benefit is that it really sucked the rear tire to the ground. It didn't seem to effect the handling other than calming down the front end. It still turned like a slot car.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
You should be able to put the forks up in the triples enough to compensate. I shaved the seat on my RM, but didn't like it, so I put the foam back. I'm 5'7"
Ontario, Canada

Offline CANADIANBACON

• View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
HOWDY
Thanks for all the great replies. 8)
Iam 68 years old and the top of the bike is a little hard for me to get my leg over.
I got stuck in a rut at Washougal last year, put my foot down in another rut and just sort of tipped over.
Trying to remount was a bit difficult so I need to do something.
Another question?
When I lower the sub frame the muffler has to follow along.
Are there any ideas to make the move a trouble free as possible?
The machine Iam rebuilding is a 2000 RM250.
Thanks

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »
If you want to retain the suspension travel you have, here's my take on it:

People often refer to sliding the fork tubes up. Fair enough. Accurately determine Exactly how far you can slide the tubes up, without the  tyre hitting any thing - noting if you still have Bar /Fork cap clearance. And you can usually, easily lift the bars a bit, if you have to, to get the last bit of tube sliding through, before tyre contact. Removable std HB mounts, can usually have a washer/ spacer added, to raise the mount a few mm, without losing retaining nut engagement. A thinner nut, with loctite to safely retain it, can give you that extra couple of mms. That gives you a good point to start at.

Then find a lowering link that will give you The Same drop in the height as the fork positioning will give you.

Match those 2 drops, and you don't stuff up the handling of the bike. Simple.

Some links , you may be able to get with adjust-ability - it may help if you like to change handling for courses, if you 'regard' the lowest fork height you can obtain as your 'constant'.

Lowering links do change suspension action - they can 'clock' the shock link, to change the arc of it's motion, and the rising rate through that change, they also change the CS / SA pivot, rear axle relationships. - and the swingarms static angle. Though, most people won't notice the changes / or, the changes do not 'go over the edge', into detrimental suspension geometry changes.

Another thing that can be useful, that many don't think of, is the height /aspect ratios of tyres. Fronts, there is not a huge range of difference - trying a 20" tyre is something I did, but, you are pretty limited in 20s for tyre selection. But rears, there is quite a variation. I'm not sure if the 2000 RM was a 19" rear - probably is. Going to an 18", gives you the opportunity to try lower aspect ratio 18" tyres - echoing the aspect ratio of 19" tyres. There can be a good drop in the rear height, going that route. But - research tyres before changing wheels, for aspect ratios available.

Every 1/2" you can get, is Quite a lot of height reduction. Picking a 'constant', or reference point for your height reduction, can make it all a hell of a lot easier in deciding your lowering methods. Just finding the lowest fork height you can Safely obtain, then trying tyre heights, can get a fair bit of height off a bike. You can achieve quite a bit of lowering, with minimal expenditure, whilst NOT buggering up the bikes suspension and handling.

Thinking, pays off.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
RM 250 LINK
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
if you call guts racing they do custom seats. you can order a seat with a lower profile so you dont make it a franken/hack job. you can choose the height and density of it. ive ran a Tall seat with soft cushion and when i sat in it i sank about an 1'' or 2"  which made it like running a hump seat and made the ride a little softer.