Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: DB snorkel  (Read 6364 times)

Offline KX125rider

• Novice
    • View Profile
DB snorkel
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
I just read the article about the enduro event won by a two stroke with a DB snorkel equiped. I have checked out the DB snorkel site and it looks interesting. I am considering buying one because I find the reduction in noise very appealing.  what are your guys thoughts?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: DB snorkel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
It depends on the kind of riding you want to do.  If you're going to be around other people a lot who might not like noise, like a lake campground or backyard or something, then it could be well worth it.  But unless you've got something nuts (like a 450F) and you're at a riding area or a track, I can't see it really being of much benefit.

That's my take, anyway.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline KX125rider

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
I usually just freeride at on land owned by friends of mine. I just feel bad when my friends who are nice enough to let me ride can hear me when i go by. I also dont want their neighbors to get annoyed too. although its about a 1/4 mile to the next house, i want to be the only one to enjoy the sound of my screaming 125.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »
I do not have any information about the DB Snorkel, but I commend you for being considerate of others about noise.

So many people equate noise with power.... personally I just think it makes them "feel" faster... although I'm sure that someone will jump in to say that it does increase power!! LOL

If I were you, I would contact the company directly and just ask them to tell you more about their product. I imagine that they may even have some video or sound level tests that could help you to decide if it's right for you or not. Most companies love to hear from interested potential customers.

Honestly I wish there were more people that thought as you do!! Two thumbs way up!!  :D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »
Shane Watts just won the morning a class race using one on his KTM 2t beating Rodney smith on a rmxz 450 something or other suzuki 4joke.I would not be afraid to use one especially riding in an area where there are houses.Go for it!

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
I read up on them pretty thoroughly after seeing the article too. I do find them rather unattractive cosmetically but functionally they look like a great option. I'd like to get one, but I'm pretty slow at getting add-ons for my toys and have a higher priority list to fill first. But I am seriously considering one and will probably get one after my higher priority items have been acquired.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:27:43 AM »
I have only read about them, but as Shane put it, he was able to pass other riders without them knowing he was about to over take them.  They really do make a quiet (quieter then a 4 stroke) bike very stealth. Not to mention I think Shane was on a KTM 200...  sometimes displacement isn't everything, sometimes it depends on the rider....
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »
I found a really funny picture just a few minutes ago.  It shows exactly why my '67 Kawasaki doesn't use a silencer.  We have a silencer/spark-arrestor, and it fits... but there is a slight problem with it.  This was the most recent noise-related thread I saw, so I figured this would make a good spot.

Just think about the sort of torque force that extra weight is putting on the stinger.  You can see the pipe is leaking a little bit from the mount bracket - that's a crack caused by the one time we rode it with the silencer for a day.  >:(

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline KX125rider

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
Yester I took the first step to reduce the noise emissions from my bike by repacking the silencer. When I was riding with my biddies they kept commenting on how quiet it was. While they were taking a break they said they thought I kept crashing because they couldnt hear me at a distance. I encourage all members to repack your silencer often. The packing was only 8$. If people start realizing how much quieter two strokes are than four strokes they are that much more likely to be on top.

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »
You could bracket that silencer to the fender of that '67.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »
I encourage all members to repack your silencer often. The packing was only 8$. If people start realizing how much quieter two strokes are than four strokes they are that much more likely to be on top.

I usually repack my silencer every winter during my regular maintenance schedule.  But this year I spent many hours rebuilding my son's quad, and forgot about the silencer.  :o  It's next on my list, thanks for the reminder.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 01:08:45 AM »
I could bracket it to the fender but... look how ridiculous it is!  It's like a cannon on the back of the bike, or a rocket booster.  Also, besides making the bike quieter, that silencer/spark-arrestor kills the power and totally changes the way the bike sounds.  Unlike a modern (aka post-1975) bike, that pipe is really not meant to have a big flow-restricting thingy on the end of it.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »
I will never ride with that condom at the end of my exhaust. Tell me it is a joke!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
What, the snorkel or the cannon on the 120?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
What, the snorkel or the cannon on the 120?

Both for fuck sake! lol WTH! he looks way too mad max for me! Let's ride with a trumpet!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.