Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Recovery time for broken clavicle?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
Recovery time for broken clavicle?
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
I recently got back into racing a 2 stroke, and 2 wheels.  I raced back in the 90's then the last few years did some 4x4 scrambles on the 750 kawi brute.  Anyway, I spent the last 3 months getting my legs back on the new (2008 RM 250) 2 stroke and last Sunday, on the finish line jump, after my second lap, I got bumped at the peak of the jump and pretty much faceplanted the landing.  I knew I was in trouble and tried to ride it out on the front wheel, but was to no avail.  Thankfully all I broke was my collar bone (and my neckbrace).

Have any of you broke yours and how long was the recovery and time before you got back on the bike.
My clavicle broke completely and I'm going in for surgery tomorrow morning to get a plat/pins and to remove a fragment.

P.S.
My bike only suffered a broken brake lever  :D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery time for broken clavicle?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
Sorry to hear it! I had a hairline crack in mine about 14 years ago, not a full break. I seem to remember 4 weeks or so, but like I said, it wasn't as serious as yours.

The majority of my experience is with back injuries and surgeries (2 back surgeries from weight lifting injuries).
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
I smashed my clavicle into 4pieces about 10yrs ago.It took a month for me to get back on and another 2 weeks to get past the mental block of doing the tripple that put me in that situation.Back then they would just let it heal on its own,you are lucky that they will go in and pin it up for you.My sister the nurse says 2 weeks for the bones to be strong enough not to tear away from the screws...After that its up to you...god speed
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:18:45 PM »
I broke mine last summer.  Mine wasnt very serious so i was back on the bike in 3 weeks.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
BUddy snapped doin stupid crap out in the desert. Had it screwed an plated. The 2 to 3 weeks mentioned is right around he was. Now you'll have the infamous MX bump. 

To truely test it get a decent sized magnet and see if it sticks to the area that was screwed and or plated.  :P :D  Just kiddin don't do that. We do it to my bud just to mess with him. You all know how the story goes: Well one day we were havin a couple.... ;D
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »
I did the exact same thing - got bumped over the finish line jump back in '06, knocked myself out and broke my clavicle into 3 pieces.  The doctor said it should heal on it's own, but it never totally did.  I should have had the plate & screws put in.  I now have more like cartilage than bone in one spot - it flexes just a little bit, but doesn't bother me at all.  I still ride, lift weights, and run sprint triathlons.  Bones don't heal as fast when you are over 40!!!

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/HOW-TO-RETURN-FROM-A-BROKEN-COLLARBONE--2841.aspx

I hope you recover fast! I'm stuck sitting around with an open fracture on my tibia (compound fracture FTW). I should be good to go pretty soon, so damned bored!

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:57 AM »
Thanks everyone.  My surgery was postponed a week because the Dr. wanted to try a custom brace.  It failed to keep alignment, so Monday morning, I'm getting plated and pinned.  Hopefully I'm back on the track by september.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
I would follow the doctors recommendation for time off the bike.To help the healing process eat good take greens plus powder everday and try to run or use a stationary bike to keep fresh blood pumping through the area.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
I had surgery Monday.  As expected, it went well.  9 pins, a plate and 23 staples.  Back to work tomorrow and time to order parts to fix my RM ( brake lever, number plate & front fender).  A lot cheaper to fix my bike than fixing myself, haha.  The beast fired up first kick and will be ready for the track before I am too.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
   The beast fired up first kick and will be ready for the track before I am too.

The beauty of 2 strokes  ;D

Good luck on your recovery
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough