Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New to the forum, Long Live 2 Strokes!  (Read 4761 times)

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
New to the forum, Long Live 2 Strokes!
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
Hey guys, name is Corey, came across this site and knew it was "home away from home." I am the only one out of all of my buds that ride 2 strokes and IM PROUD OF IT! I ride a 2003 kx125-bought it pretty worn out and am redoing the whole bike and it is starting to look pretty good. I ride motocross, havent raced yet but plan on it next summer. I am getting  a helmet cam today so plan on seeing videos from me.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: New to the forum, Long Live 2 Strokes!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
Welcome to the site and good looking bike!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
Thanks, this winter I am going to rebuild the topend, clutch, I cant decide whether to rebuild my fork seals or send my suspension off. From what mx-tech says, for my weight i can stay with the stock springs. I am also going to either paint, or powdercoat my frame. I plan on it looking VERY SEXY haha. I am only 17 but I love maintaining my bike and having it look like it is brand new.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
i ride the same bike ,

nice looking kawy

welcome

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
Thanks man, what do u guys thing about the suspension? I weigh 140, ride mx only, c class (novice) rider..should I just replace the seals and fork oil or should I send it off to get revalved?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
well 1st how much money do you wanna spend?

2nd does your suspention hit the bottom when you land hard?

i have 80 kg ,with my gear on and i just change the oil (7,5w)

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
I dont really bottom out, it jsut doesnt feel "plush" and i get headshake on big landings where im right back on the gas quickly..I can spend alot, but i would rather not spend a lot.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »
fresh seals and oil (shock and forks) then set the sag correctly  (4 inches or 100mm) .  test ride it.  if you have a lot of head shake lower your forks about 2mm in the clamps. test ride it.
revalving is always a compromise between bottoming out and plushness.  for your ability the factory valving is fine.  make sure it's sprung for your weight so the bike rides at the proper height in the valving.  have you tried adjusting the compression to relieve the harshness?
headshake most likely comes from improper sag or fork height.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:22:08 PM by Dirt Addict »

Offline HS125

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
Do you have a local suspension shop that may could help you?  We're fortunate in my area to have a guy that does excellent suspension revalving/tuning.  A lot of times if the springs are the correct size for your weight he can adjust the clickers based on what you are experiencing and make a big difference. (all while at the local track of course)

If your springs are correct for your weight,  you should tear them down yourself (with some help of a buddy) and inspect all the parts and replace those seals.  Youtube has a excellent how-to video, just do a search.

Hope this helps.

BTW,  I love 125's, they are so much fun and fun is what matters.  Nice looking bike also and welcome to the forum.

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
Thanks HS and Dirt Addict, that is one thing I never tested was fork height, I will try that, I am going to set my sag this week so hopefully that will help out to. I am unfortunately not close to any suspension places. I live in the middle of the Kansas, motocross isnt near as big as it is in So-Cal and places like that. Closest place, the place i was considering is Marshalls Racing in Stillwater Ok. I will replace my fork seals, sag height, and tinker with fork height and then see how it does. Thanks for the help guys.

And yes, 125s are fun! i had my bike up for sell trying to get a 250 2 stroke because I am going to race next year but i decided i wasnt ready for that power yet.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Welcome! Yeah, they pretty much covered it.
Rebuild your forks, if anything you feel a little better about the bike if you know it is assembled/maintained correctly.
When your ability requires a revalve, send them off.
Nice bike!

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
Thanks  :) Glad you like it. I may be young, but I treat my stuff better than most 50 year olds. (I pay for everything myself so I take pride in everything I have) I wish the frame didn't have the marks but nothing a little grip tape wont cover up. Once I get better I plan on getting a 250 but I don't want to get one until I know I can actually benefit from the extra power.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
seriously a 125 at your weight is very competitve.  i've watched a 165 lb'er on a yz125 beat the field of masters (these are the retired pros, faster than experts).  it didn't look easy but he pretty much held it wide open the entire race and railed the outside line. 
a 250's power is nice if you need it, but it can be tiring too.  it's not about sheer power, but weight to power ratio.  but i believe the most important component to going fast is the suspension.  work on getting that dialed in for you, get the jetting right and spend your money on maintenance, fuel, oil, and maybe some lessons....
and always have fun.

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »
Great advice thanks dirt addict, yeah its such a feeling of accomplishment riding a 2 stroke to its limits..so much enjoyment, ill be getting a helmet cam soon, hopefully can get some pointers from people watching that also!

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
Nice KX 125 Miller, try tightening the head stay a little bit to cure your headshake, you have to loosen the top tripple clamp pinch bolts also.