Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Who's is racing a late model 2T in 2010?  (Read 13413 times)

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
Who's is racing a late model 2T in 2010?
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
What's late model you ask.....how bout we consider anything after 2000 [or close to it] for the sake of this thread. Perhaps someone else could start a "vintage" race thread?

What form of racing is it?

And why a 2T?

I'm planning on racing MX for the first time in 18 years [NESC] on a CR500 conversion.

I've never even ridden a modern 4T and never considered buying one. I'm a gas and go guy so I wasn't into the more expensive/complex 4T motors so that ruled out used ones also.

Started my "come back" on an 03 YZ250 that was probably fast enough for my 52 year old body/skills  but I got caught up in the CR500 thing and as I was planning a conversion, I found a killer deal on a conversion so I bought it.

It's in an 05 CRF so my motor isn't "current" just the rest of the bike.

Come back pic:

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's is racing a late model 2T in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:01:11 PM »
Does a 2010 count???   ;D

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
^^^^^ WOW^^^ so sick. beautiful bike.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
Does a 2010 count???   ;D

Did you take delivery of that beauty yet? Please post more pics as soon as possible!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
09 KTM 250 sx.

What a jetting nightmare !!!!

Recovered

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »
09 KTM 250 sx.

How so? I think we woul all like to hear from your experiences, and the details...such as...premix used and a what ratio, jetting, including needle number and installed position. Last bt not least slide cut out, air screw opening and how many turns in on the idle screw.

Thanks

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »
Well, with me being mainly a vintage guy, it may surprise you all to hear that I...

Okay, no.  I don't have any "new" bikes at all, as a matter of fact.  I hold to the philosophy that plastic be damned except in airbox and fenders.  Number plates can be included if you ride with them; I don't.  Have a nice thread, modern people.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:20:34 AM »
Thanks westsiderippa!!

2smoker... it's in the garage now.... those are actual photos my bike. With the holiday's and such I haven't had much time to get out into the frigid garage (no heat!)

The plan is to shoot a bunch of photos and video.... just looking closely at this bike there is a tremendous attention to detail. It comes with top of the line components everywhere. The front brake is massive! The hydraulic clutch feel like butter and when sitting on the bike it feels very much like an Asian bike. Does not have the European feel.

I know, I know, all that is well and good but how does it ride?? The plan is to take it to an indoor riding area in early January. When I'll be doing a complete test and write up on the bike. But the test will not just be me, telling folks what I think, I'm going to have some of my much faster friends ride it and give their impressions as well.

It's kind of turning into a shoot out of sorts!! One guy has a brand new Husqvarna 125, others have late model Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Yamaha's... it should be very interesting!!

With any luck I will do video interviews of the riders after they try and compare the bike to their own bikes. Although I still have a bunch to learn about this cool looking machine.

For the time being here's a few more photos....

The bikes come in the smallest crates that I've ever seen for a full sized motorcycle.

A peek inside the crate.

A twin air filter comes standard, it was well oiled with greased edges.....

The engine has an inter-cooler!! Notice the radiator hose going into the bottom end.

Standard billet triple clamps, with Marzoochi 50mm forks.

Rear shock is by Sachs....

Front brake is massive...

The hubs are made from billet by the TM factory....

More to come..
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »
09 KTM 250 sx.

How so? I think we would all like to hear from your experiences, and the details...such as...premix used and a what ratio, jetting, including needle number and installed position. Last but not least slide cut out, air screw opening and how many turns in on the idle screw.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:47:20 AM by madscientist »

Offline losec

• Intermediate
  • naaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »
Marzoochi and sachs are some sweet suspension. I rode huskys a few years ago (04-07). excellent suspension imo
I never crash -I just make unexpected decelerations

Recovered

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »
Marzoochi and sachs are some sweet suspension. I rode huskys a few years ago (04-07). excellent suspension imo

Thay are very good. The shocks was tolerated but the fork was very much disliked by the media.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:12:49 AM »
John, that TM looks to be loaded with state of the art components.  I especially like that sweet
Brembo front brake with the wave rotor.  Has to be cool getting a bike in a box.

If I can whip myself back into racing shape, I want to race a 2010 Service Honda CR250.  I've been
off the bike for two years due to the evils of four stroke racing so it will require a lot of training and
perseverance to be ready by the Spring. 

dogger

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »
This thing should not be in the garage.. Should be in the living room! This bike is nuts!

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
This thing should not be in the garage.. Should be in the living room! This bike is nuts!
][/quote\

If I can whip myself back into racing shape, I want to race a 2010 Service Honda CR250.  I've been
off the bike for two years due to the evils of four stroke racing so it will require a lot of training and

dogger

Doing the same thing but I've been off for around 18 years.....

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
][/quote\

If I can whip myself back into racing shape, I want to race a 2010 Service Honda CR250.  I've been

dogger

Doing the same thing but I've been off for around 18 years.....

The problem is motocross is worst than a addiction...I still remember my first race like yesterday..Nothing like being lined-up with 39 guys...I have butterflies thinking about it!!!!!!!!!! Each time I go watch a race I hat* myself not being on the track...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:40:34 PM by 2smoker »