Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: harescrambles or motocross?  (Read 7578 times)

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: harescrambles or motocross?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »
I definitely prefer motocross over harescrambles. The adrenaline i get from hitting 80ft jumps is 10x better than woods riding.

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
Motocross about 95% of the time.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
FMF Gnarly pipe w/ Turbinecore2 or Q, get a brake snake, radiator guard/braces, also try taking out some compression on your suspension clickers for woods riding,  you never said what kind of bike you're on.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
For MX a 144 or 150 will be more than enough fun.
For woods riding, get a 300 2 stroke. You can lug them all day long,
and still have plenty of smooth power when you want it. With small mods, you could also do some MX.
Myself, I prefer trail/enduro riding over MX. I like an adventure, instead of beiing in the same spot all day.
But it's all personal, riding preferences vary from person to person... :)

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
Ive been reading up on some woods built 125s and im not sure (if i eventually did it at all) if i should go with the 134 or 144 for the woods? If i read right theyre the same price so itd just come down to better performance for harescrambles/trails
2000 yz125

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
If you want seat time, hare scrambles for sure.

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
FMF Gnarly pipe w/ Turbinecore2 or Q, get a brake snake, radiator guard/braces, also try taking out some compression on your suspension clickers for woods riding,  you never said what kind of bike you're on.
Sorry its a yz 125 and i cant get a ganrly for it or thatd be my pick, and about gettin a 300 i dont think my dad would be up for gettin me one because i just got my 125 last year so im sticking with it for now
2000 yz125

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 11:54:33 PM »
the pipe you have is fine, just get the Spark Arrestor muffler. The Boyseen  radvalve, and the Vforce 3 both make a great performance enhancement to the YZ125,  add a flywheel weight.
I like the smaller bikes in the woods I'm actually faster on them than my 250, cause I can keep it wound up higher and it doesn't take as much energy from me as the 250. but I ride in alot of sand and weigh around 200 lbs. so I got the 250
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Larry63r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
I raced both for many years. I quit CC in 1985. It was just to dangerous. I broke my back, my left clavicle and dislocated my left shoulder. Then I had to ride 10 miles or more through the desert of Yerington, Nevada to get back to the pits just so I could ride the ambulance to the hospital.
I decided to stick with nice safe MX after that. At a MX race you are never more than a couple hundred yards from the ambulance! At a CC you could get hurt and wait for hours or even days for help. It all depends on where the CC is and if the sweepers find you.

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »
I'd probably stick with a stock motor 125, with the exception of a flywheel weight if/when you desire.  Bike armor would be very wise; bark busters, a skid with good coverage, radiator guards/braces.

It's really not 'too' much about the bikes power out there.  Its embarrassing to say, but funny none the less;  I let a guy around me in one HS race - he was using a bicycle bell to alert riders ahead of him that he wanted to pass.  "bring-bring, bring-bring".  I literally laughed out loud at that - I let him around, and saw that he was riding a very stock looking CRF230.  "WTH", I thought. I chased him, but he was gone a few turns later.  I now respect the underdogs and 'little' bikes out there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:06:45 PM by yo_marc »
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
When I was a kid my friends and myself would race Thursday night motocross,practice Saturday and race harescrambles/cc on Sunday.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Scrambles are pretty much just mellow old dude racing. Just a way to while away a Sunday afternoon and get a little fresh air and exercise.Hare Srambles Gone Bad
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
All of my aspirations to get back out for another race or two this year.. washed away in the first 30 seconds of that film.   :(
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline Larry63r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
That little video makes my point perfectly.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
All of my aspirations to get back out for another race or two this year.. washed away in the first 30 seconds of that film.   :(

Nah,watching that got me all wired up for a go this year.Now I'll be thinking about it all weekend at the little one's dance competition. :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.