Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Four Stroke is two too many for Maico.  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Maico International

• Junior
    • View Profile
Four Stroke is two too many for Maico.
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
With the global disparity that is continually displayed in favour of the four stroke when it comes to engine displacement in racing terms, manufacturers of the new Maico M.M.X., Maico International are proud to wear their two stroke heart on their sleeve and confirm that "at no point will we ever consider producing a four stroke engine".

Co owner Vincent Page commented " Maico is a two stroke company full stop"

For those of you stateside who are interested in supporting the equal displacement campaign being levelled at the A.M.A. please click on the link below.

www.gopetition.com/petition/38076.html

http://dirtywheelsmedia.co.uk/interactive/index.php?topic=125.0

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Four Stroke is two too many for Maico.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
That's pretty cool that burn's petition is taking off like this!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
it's great to read so many petition comments that voice the same sentiment as my own

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
Awesome, it's good to hear that they're sticking with it.  I guess I can just quietly get rid of these old pictures, then.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Some if not all of those 4t Maico pictures (of late 70s bottom ends) are home made mods.  There are many variations, even with water cooling! 

The only one I have ever found that seems most likely "offical" is this one from 1986.

It also makes the most sense since it was coming out of MStar days.  If it is true though, I wonder what happened to the blue prints since I've never seen any.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
That is awesome MI!Great to have  a manufacturer involved big or small.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:12:11 PM »
I agree that is awesome that someone at the Maico company would respond to these events/attempt to get the rules changed/revised and in a our positive 2t direction !
You guys and your Maico fix, you guys are cracking me up, every time you get a chance out come the Maico pictures  ;D
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »
if your twostrokes are 5 grand or less yall will take over the market!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »
Five grand or less?  Shit, that's about the price you'd pay for an old one!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
I just bought my ktm for 6k and it will never happen again I love my bike to the point of obsession but it will be the last time i spend that much money for an off road motorcycle. I bought my rm 125 brand new out the door in 2005 for 3999. There is no reason the price should go up like 3k more dollars for the same technology. I though thats one of the reasons we hate 4strokes is there 8 thousand dollar price tags just a joke.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
Well, if you look at Yamaha's website, the MSRP on the two- and four-strokes are the same if you look at equal displacements.  And I did a little calculation, when you adjust for inflation it turns out that an $8000 bike today is roughly equivalent to what you would've paid for a new Husky in '79 (though with that said, that was a premium brand with a premium price).  The main cost concern with four-strokes is that, after you've made that sacrifice to get the new bike, the thing turns around and starts costing you more money by the bags full if you run it with any kind of intensity.  And then to tune it up to a higher grade of performance you're also looking at ridiculous money.  That's where the cost complaint comes in, not necessarily the up-front money laid down in the showroom.  But of course, as always, cheaper is better.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
Maico (VIncent Page) is one of three companies that has emailed me back personally to say that he supported this petition and twostrokemx.com 100%. Spy and ProMotoFan were the others. I will post a list of all the ones I have contacted tomorrow. I think we should all send it to as many companies as we can think of.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
Good idea. I will be emailing Maico and thanking them for their support, as well as other companies I can think of that might benefit from this rule change.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:29:05 AM »
Here's the ones I've contacted (many of them on their own contact form):
KTM, MXA, Dirt Bike, Dirt Rider (Jimmy Lewis did an article on the Dirt Rider Blog), FMF, Dubach Racing, TM, Gas Gas, Beta, Maico, SX.com, TransworldMX.com, Works Connection, Factory Connection, Eric Gorr, Wiseco, Husqvarna, Troy Lee, Honda of Troy, MX Hideout.com (replied back postively), Glen Helen, Windtunnel/ SpeedTV, Vurbmoto (replied back postively), Oakley, Spy (replied back postively), Scott, Smith, Arai, Shoei, Ufo, Monster Energy, Dunlop, Bridgestone.

That's it so far. I still have a long way to go. Most of these places are not responding, though. I don't know if they don't read their web contact forms or what. I'm sure if we had several people doing the same thing it would have an impact. I'm gonna look up all their Facebook accounts and start trying to get it on there.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
Good job burn.You 'da man 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.