Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: My CR500  (Read 2792 times)

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
My CR500
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »
Is really F___ing fast...

I went for a ride in the Mojave desert today, I was heading back to camp to gas up, And went by a couple of guys on 450's I was cruising at about 60. Next thing I know one of the fart bikes is farting next to me, So I pin it and  put my chin on the bars. Fart man starts falling back like a safe going down a flight of stairs. My bike is dancing around on the sandy road like I can't believe, and I can't make myself let off of the throttle, I held it wide open for about ten second after it stopped picking up speed, It was a slight down hill, That is all she had. I did not see the 450 again. When I got back to the truck I checked the max speed on my computer, and laughed my ass off.

I smell like c12, Caster 927, and dirt... I may never bathe again. 8)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: My CR500
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
The stock gearing in a CR500 with stock rear sprocket is only ~80MPH.  What did you gear the secondary drive?  No doubt a CR500 is fast and can be geared fast but I know that those Speedo's sometimes get inaccurate readings.  My Maico I geared to do a top speed of 60MPH and I've verified that with the speedo, however every so often if I get on the bike I see a Max Speed of 100MPH or I think I even saw 120MPH, both of which I know are impossible.  The best explaination I came up with, beyond just "the speedo is broken every once in a while" is that since you measure with your front tire, if that tire comes off the ground it's not unreasonable perhaps for it to get a good spin and get a faster reading than you're actually going. 

Not to say your bike doesn't do 108MPH, I have no idea, just giving my .02 cents since I've seen simmilar readings on my bike every once in a while which I know for a fact cannot be the case.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:16:06 AM »
I won't say the speedo is super accurate. I'm not claiming a true 108.
The bike is set up for desert, gearing is 15/47 stock is 14/47, it is first overbore, has Erick Gore porting, lightened Wosner piston, 39.5 PWK, HRC gear set (higher 3rd 4th 5th)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »
Cool, that setup actually should be able to hit around 108 MPH, they drop the 5th gear ratio to .75 on those gear sets.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:03:28 AM »
Nice.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »
Years ago a friend and myself were cruising down a fireroad when low and behold he vanished.I finally found him down a bank beside the road scratched up but otherwise o.k..He said a pheasant had hit him square in the chest and knocked him off his Husky! :-X

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
GlenC that must have been a rush,108 mph on the dirt is flying. Too bad your not in a state with frozen lakes, racing with a pack of bikes across a lake is pretty fun. And playing with sleds is fun, when your speed tops out, a lake sled going 120 plus flys by  and you can,t believe how fast he,s going, 100 plus across a lake is a good time on anything  :D.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
Thats flying glenn, I've never been near that speed. You should get a helmet cam I'd watch that video over and over
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
I believe it.  ;D

My 300 is geared for 82mph with stock gearing. It pulls that easy. Too easy in fact.
I am running 12/47 and with a 13 front will pull 88mph.
A 500 with the extra power and high gearing will top 100 easy.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
It really felt fast, I have been over 170 on the pavement (2007 CBR1000RR).

I have a freind who holds several land speed records (Matt Capri - South Bay Triumph). I told him a year or so ago that I had intrest in trying to beat the dirt bike land speed record.

He gave me an open invatation to come out to El Mirage dry lake to make a few passes infront of the radar gun.

The plan would be to see how fast it is, How fast the record is, and finally How much will it cost to go faster than the current record.

Matt Capri would be a big help, He has held many records and knows a great deal about bike set up.

I think I'll stop in and see when they will be testing again, And see how fast it realy is.