Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Project: YZ250R  (Read 20925 times)

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Project: YZ250R
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »
Make sure you dyno it against a bog stock YZ250. Turning the cylinder around with the crank still spinning forwards will cost HP
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
Either way it will be cool to see a radical works bike being built once again.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:24 AM »
Interesting stuff.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »
What fuel injection are you going to use?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »
Make sure you dyno it against a bog stock YZ250. Turning the cylinder around with the crank still spinning forwards will cost HP

yes but as you told me, the straight exhaust is worth more than a few hp?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
* Lower CG will be achieved with the changes mentioned above.

how is this done without altering the counter-shaft height?

do you just lower the front of the engine and keep the sprocket where it is?

sounds like a plan though :)

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »
Here is a sneak peak rendering of the final product. Currently the engine is being modified and the frame is getting welded up soon.

* I am not turning the cylinder around.
* Looking at a couple of different options for fuel injection but haven't decided just yet and it will not be used on this first build.

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »
So I've been a little bit side tracked with other projects and I apologize for the lack of updates. I should be able to pick up where I left off starting next week.

In the meantime the engine has been completed and I am working on getting a new intake system for the initial build but if not I will go with standard carburetor and DFI after that.

Frame work is almost done and just need to CNC machine a few more pieces so I can get them all welded up at the same time.

I will post some pictures as I'm starting to put the bike back together. Hopefully I can complete and start testing within the next three to four weeks. Initially I wanted to be done by year end but even with the delay It looks more like mid November.

The next post should be more exciting as it will be including some pictures instead of just a rant. Thanks for being patience.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
Very interesting thread, I've only just started reading it now. I'll be watching closely mate, pretty psyched to tell the truth 8)

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »
Finally got the initial design and modeling of the front frame section done. I will try to machine it this week so I can get that frame welded up.

This is the most involved mod on the frame. The model is not the final design as it will need to be tweaked some but it's the starting point.

In order to establish the shape of this part I had to digitize the frame section of where the connection points are. This was done on one of my CNC's with a digitizing probe.

Moving along........

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »
Wait if you're doing custom frame mods etc, will it be legal to race motocross? I thought there was some rule about the bike needing to be original in some areas, and I thought frame was one of them. Or is that just for factory riders or something?

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
Wait if you're doing custom frame mods etc, will it be legal to race motocross? I thought there was some rule about the bike needing to be original in some areas, and I thought frame was one of them. Or is that just for factory riders or something?

Correct. For AMA sanctioned racing you can not alter the bikes frame other then what the rule book allows. The intent of this build is not for it to be AMA race legal but rather to continue the development of the two strokes by pairing them up with the latest technologies available. These bikes can be raced at many races just not the AMA Pro Sanctioned ones.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

Correct. For AMA sanctioned racing you can not alter the bikes frame other then what the rule book allows. The intent of this build is not for it to be AMA race legal but rather to continue the development of the two strokes by pairing them up with the latest technologies available. These bikes can be raced at many races just not the AMA Pro Sanctioned ones.

Fair enough. Regardless I say Sod the AMA, if they hadn't been real di*ks we would still be racing and developing these machines.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
The "sneak peek rendering" looks like a YZ250 2t engine in a YZF 250 Chassis.

And the 'Y' piece  design / modelling is a common thing used in putting a 2t engine into a 4t frame.

Is this really what this is?

An AFC type conversion to a twin spar frame?

Nothing wrong with that, at all, of course.

Mind you, I'd rather use the 05 / 13 Yamaha chassis with the back bone,  single down tube into double cradle Aluminium frame if I were to do a 'different' AF  when it comes to other engines - instead of the spar frames.  Built with minimal parts and welding, using a variety of construction methods. It's a Very good frame. Both in terms of handling and durability.  That has defied some 'experts' opinions about a 'conventional' type aluminium frame not being strong enough. Good design, can negate the need for large section tubing / large fabricated  sections / large castings or forgings.

There is no inherent problem with the CS centre to SA pivot centre to rear axle centre with the YZ250. So I assume , if you are moving the engine, for whatever reason, you'll be making it so the CS position is in the same general area. When doing such a thing, you'd be mad not to add in a way of doing SA pivot adjustment / or CS / Engine placement adjustment, if you've made the effort to change so much of the engine mounting.

We may end up seeing production MX / Dirt Bikes being made to take an adjustable Swing arm Pivot 'chip', to allow some further suspension tuning. If mainly / only for marketing reasons, that few will choose to change. It's long been out there on several production road bikes.

Perhaps you will be doing some sort of anti torque set up - or simply a roller set up so as to not stuff up the suspension when the CS has been moved to a less than 'good' position, in the interests of wherever you intend to place / orient the engine?

A twin spar frame, with relocation of fuel tank and air box, could lend itself well to getting the 2t pipe out of the firing line of most of the (all too frequent) damage that they so easily get. That  goal might be better served by movement of the engine, I think.

All questions  / comments - not criticism.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 04:12:25 AM »
Thought it was time for another update. Made some good headway last week and finished machining the actual part and fitted it to the frame. Next step is to weld it in place build up the chassis and weld up the motor mounts with the motor in place to assure proper alignment with the exhaust and airbox. All remainder parts have been ordered and are on their way. As mentioned before I will start posting pictures once the actual build up happens. If everything goes well build up will start a week and a half from today with the first test ride in two weeks with Dyno runs to follow. Stay tuned......we are getting closer.