Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Stuff that works and stuff that, not so much  (Read 12176 times)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
Stuff that works and stuff that, not so much
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:46 AM »
1. Sunline flex levers work amazing, the levers that go up down front back, they're a bit pricey but they work, i have dumped my bike many times, the first time i did on my 125 the stock brake lever broke, i ordered sunlines the next day

2. Alpinstar tech 7's are a great boot, kinda pricey as well 299.99 when i bought them, they brake in pretty fast i think, very comfortable, and have metal buckles that dont snap off in 2 uses like the crappy fox boots i had before

3. Oneal gear/helmet - Series 5/7/8 helmets, hardware/mayhem gear all reasonably priced, good fit, looks great even after many many washes, holds up really well, colors dont fade

my personal product reviews i've done

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tcg-racin/tcg-racin-product-review-maxima-foam-filter-treatment/354634324590746

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tcg-racin/tcg-racin-product-review-oneal-series-5-zombie-helmet/354632431257602

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tcg-racin/tcg-racin-product-review-leatt-adventure-pro-chest-protector-white/354630664591112

4. lucas low smoke premix works well, reasonably priced, never had any problems running it, even though smokers are cool, we try and keep the smoke down as much as possible, even though it only reduces it a little, also it makes the fart riders perk up their noses and come see what's smelling so good!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Good stuff: Shark helmets. Very Comfy, light and have very good ventilation. TCX boots. XC12 front tyres.

Bad stuff. S12 rears. Sorry ford but I lost so many knobs on 1 ride I am not going back. Whinging Yamaha riders  ;).
Fly gloves. Fly boots.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
I bought MSR riding underware 25 years ago, and I still use them. I bought Shift riding underware last year to replace them and they are trashed and I had to go back to my 25 year old MSR. The padding folds up in them and it takes 15 minutes to flatten it out to wear them but the elastic is still good and they support the important parts well...still.

I truely buy into the old Bell ad "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet..." but the past few years, I've had a $10 head. Last year, I got an One Industries helment, the cheapest they have and on sale. I think it is the Carbon series. It is surprisingly good quality, I like it better than my new, very expensive Answer. I will be wearing them back to back this weekend (two days of racing). This isn't really a bad so much as a I couldn't get it to work for me but , andy M2R helmet.  I just couldn't get it to fit, andy size, andy model.

Chest protectors are all the same THESE DAYS (vintage stuff varied widely. My 25 year old MSR is the same as my 2.5 year old Ocelot. If you don't want your friends to see you wear Ocelot gear, peal the stickers or wear it under your jersey.

Speaking of Vintage, I swear by the Moose EZ clutch. Sure, it's ugly but it is a simple device that makes the clutch of an old bike pull like a modern YZ125 with a bad cable. I can 2 finger pull my RM400 and Penton and all my Husky's are single finger!

I am very unhappy with my EVS RS8 knee braces. They work great, are comfortable, and weight about nothing but...the traps connect with crappy little buckles that broke the first lap! My short term solution was duct tape but long term was to poprivit the buckle and just thread the velcro. It is a little more difficult but they don't come off or shift position any more. What is worse was I tried to contact EVS about it and have not had a reply which brings me to my other thing with EVS...they contacted ME about their new neck brace several years ago and I put an order in except it wasn't out yet and didn't get out for 6 more months. When it finally did, I was (am) very happy with it but they could have told me that I'd be waiting so long. I went the entire season without it.

That's enough from me for now...
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
I can tell you to absolutely NOT buy a fox  Titan knee guard. Absolutely useless. I took a rather minor tumble and theres a metal piece that drives through two plastic pieces that wrap around your knee. This allows more flex sorry its kind of hard to explain. Anyway upon this tumble i got up and felt an awful lot more flex than usual. This metal piece had torn a hole clean through the plastic pieces. They still sort of work, but I was sorely disappointed. For something that is supposed to protect me knee, it sure didn't seem very tough.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »

For a added bonus I will throw in another good Item. Although I didn't purchase, it was on my bike when I bought it. It has proven worthwhile and I would buy it. Toyko Mods 10x ignition. For woods riding it is a very cool thing. I can switch between 2 differnt map with a handlebar switch One map is allways the aggressive map but you can choose the other from 9 different settings. Unlike many other things you can actually feel a big difference between the mild and aggressive map. I use the mild map in the tight gnarly stuff and the agressive in the open.  Makes the yz easier to manage in the tight stuff especialy late in the race when this old man gets tired. Pricey but like I said it is a differnce that you will actualy feel. http://www.tokyomods.com/igntions/igntions.html#ecuign

A fancy way of moving the stator.

Offline rmpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
I bought MSR riding underware 25 years ago, and I still use them. I bought Shift riding underware last year to replace them and they are trashed and I had to go back to my 25 year old MSR. The padding folds up in them and it takes 15 minutes to flatten it out to wear them but the elastic is still good and they support the important parts well...still.

I truely buy into the old Bell ad "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet..." but the past few years, I've had a $10 head. Last year, I got an One Industries helment, the cheapest they have and on sale. I think it is the Carbon series. It is surprisingly good quality, I like it better than my new, very expensive Answer. I will be wearing them back to back this weekend (two days of racing). This isn't really a bad so much as a I couldn't get it to work for me but , andy M2R helmet.  I just couldn't get it to fit, andy size, andy model.

Chest protectors are all the same THESE DAYS (vintage stuff varied widely. My 25 year old MSR is the same as my 2.5 year old Ocelot. If you don't want your friends to see you wear Ocelot gear, peal the stickers or wear it under your jersey.

Speaking of Vintage, I swear by the Moose EZ clutch. Sure, it's ugly but it is a simple device that makes the clutch of an old bike pull like a modern YZ125 with a bad cable. I can 2 finger pull my RM400 and Penton and all my Husky's are single finger!

I am very unhappy with my EVS RS8 knee braces. They work great, are comfortable, and weight about nothing but...the traps connect with crappy little buckles that broke the first lap! My short term solution was duct tape but long term was to poprivit the buckle and just thread the velcro. It is a little more difficult but they don't come off or shift position any more. What is worse was I tried to contact EVS about it and have not had a reply which brings me to my other thing with EVS...they contacted ME about their new neck brace several years ago and I put an order in except it wasn't out yet and didn't get out for 6 more months. When it finally did, I was (am) very happy with it but they could have told me that I'd be waiting so long. I went the entire season without it.

That's enough from me for now...

So those ez pulls work? ive been debating trying one on my yz 490

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

So those ez pulls work? ive been debating trying one on my yz 490

Yep. And pretty good too. I zip tie 'em to the handlebars to keep them from flapping about and to keep the cable in a nice bend. They have 3 settings but I always put it on the easiest. I don't know why you wouldn't want it on the easiest.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
One thing I NEVER had any luck with was spray on air filter oil. No matter what brand I tried it all sucked, Maxima FFT is the best.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »
Chain Wax..  over the years (too many to mention) I've tried various brands of chain wax, but I never got the expected results... So now I just use WD-40.  I give the chain a good coat after its washed, and its always ready to go when I am.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »
Good stuff: Shark helmets. Very Comfy, light and have very good ventilation. TCX boots. XC12 front tyres.

Bad stuff. S12 rears. Sorry ford but I lost so many knobs on 1 ride I am not going back. Whinging Yamaha riders  ;).
Fly gloves. Fly boots.

Really?Wow,I've never seen anyone have that issue and lots of people here run them-on lots of shale and granite too.I regularly got almost a full season out of one.Bizarre.Maybe you shouldn't run 25 psi in it :D
The maxxis and Kenda's most rave about I find shed most of their knobs in 1 or 2 rides
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
Really?Wow,I've never seen anyone have that issue and lots of people here run them-on lots of shale and granite too.I regularly got almost a full season out of one.Bizarre.Maybe you shouldn't run 25 psi in it :D

Yep. But to be honest at the time Michelin had changed the factory in the Philipeans where they were built.
The quality control was crap. This was about 5 years ago and everyone in NZ was having problems.
Michelin sorted the problem but I have just not had the urge to try 1 again. Maybe I should.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »

For a added bonus I will throw in another good Item. Although I didn't purchase, it was on my bike when I bought it. It has proven worthwhile and I would buy it. Toyko Mods 10x ignition. For woods riding it is a very cool thing. I can switch between 2 differnt map with a handlebar switch One map is allways the aggressive map but you can choose the other from 9 different settings. Unlike many other things you can actually feel a big difference between the mild and aggressive map. I use the mild map in the tight gnarly stuff and the agressive in the open.  Makes the yz easier to manage in the tight stuff especialy late in the race when this old man gets tired. Pricey but like I said it is a differnce that you will actualy feel. http://www.tokyomods.com/igntions/igntions.html#ecuign

A fancy way of moving the stator.

Yes but, with the switch on the bars you can instantly change between 2 different stator positions!  Retarded and advanced..
On a motocross track, not much of an advatage in a gnarly 3 hour national enduro after 3 days of rain, it's a big deal..

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
I remembered another one when I was working on it last night  ;D

I like a quick throttle. The quicker, the better, and roll on throttle seems to be the only one that makes one for a 2 stroke race bike.

http://www.rollonthrottle.com/

He says it's only 10%, but it makes the difference I was looking for.
Ontario, Canada

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:27 AM »

Yep. But to be honest at the time Michelin had changed the factory in the Philipeans where they were built.
The quality control was crap. This was about 5 years ago and everyone in NZ was having problems.
Michelin sorted the problem but I have just not had the urge to try 1 again. Maybe I should.
Yeah give them another shot, S12's front and rear or MS3's both great tyres i reckon. Along with Pirelli MXextras

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »

Around here most that use them use the S12-XC.I'm certainly no Michelin fan and it took a lot for me to try one.Back in my RZ days I switched from Pirelli Demons to Dunlop K591's to Michelin Hi Sports and swore afterwards I'd never use another Michelin tire.Dirt wise though,I've yet to find a tire I like more than an S12 rear.The M12 rear is the worst tire ever built imo.
Like totalnz,I like the s12 front but here there is alot of goo but also a lot of hardpack and i find the s12 front knobs walk and tend to want to let go on harder surfaces.The M12 front doesn't do this and works well in the soft as well.S12 rear,M12 front-I always try different stuff but keep coming back to that.Here's a review I'd take with a grain of salt,the guys a bit of a cheerleader.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CG0QtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dhk8f8NlUD-4&ei=h3_aT4P7BMbf0QGEq-C9Ag&usg=AFQjCNHg952v1sq4YV-jPpr3XqODdEfYcA
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.