Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KTM SX250 2T 2013  (Read 9228 times)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »
Repeat blindly?

It is FACT that the weight of the MX 4Ts all went up with the advent of EFI, due to the parts involved. Period.  It's no coincidence that the lightest 4T motocrosser is the only carb'd model left.  The YZ250F.  

you can post a throttlebody all day long, but I think you are intelligent enough to know that this is only one part of the EFI system.  Motocross bikes dont have batteries and E-starts.  I'm sorry, but if you don't realize that an EFI system on a motocross bike weighs more than a stock motocross carb, then I can't help you.  keyword being system.  not just the throttlebody.

Absolute Rubbish.

Think about what youve just said for a minute and then respond by quantifying the weights of these componants to back up your claim. while keeping in mind that many of these items are already on a carbied bike (ECU, wiring harness, fuel hose, fuel filter etc etc)

The bellow image is a fuel injection kit that could be used on a 125 two stroke. if larger engine used then the weight would increase due to a larger throttle body and fuel pump.

Keeping in mind that E-Start two strokes which are the norm now already have a battery system, there is not much to an FI system.

Thus completely quashing the B.S claims that they weigh more.

and if your still concerned about weight, then just eat lest fast food and cut back on the cocacola,  you'll find it to be far more effective than splitting hairs over a few hundred grams for the sake of slandering new technology.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
EFI is not a step anywhere but sideways. 

that's what i'm thinking as well, aside from the cleaner burning, the only reason 4's went to it is for throttle response, which 2 strokes already have great throttle response, whereas on a 4 there is a bit of a lag between cracking the throttle and you moving forward

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
Repeat blindly?

It is FACT that the weight of the MX 4Ts all went up with the advent of EFI, due to the parts involved. Period.  It's no coincidence that the lightest 4T motocrosser is the only carb'd model left.  The YZ250F.  

you can post a throttlebody all day long, but I think you are intelligent enough to know that this is only one part of the EFI system.  Motocross bikes dont have batteries and E-starts.  I'm sorry, but if you don't realize that an EFI system on a motocross bike weighs more than a stock motocross carb, then I can't help you.  keyword being system.  not just the throttlebody.

Absolute Rubbish.

Think about what youve just said for a minute and then respond by quantifying the weights of these componants to back up your claim. while keeping in mind that many of these items are already on a carbied bike (ECU, wiring harness, fuel hose, fuel filter etc etc)

The bellow image is a fuel injection kit that could be used on a 125 two stroke. if larger engine used then the weight would increase due to a larger throttle body and fuel pump.

Keeping in mind that E-Start two strokes which are the norm now already have a battery system, there is not much to an FI system.

and if your still concerned about weight, then just eat lest fast food and cut back on the cocacola,  you'll find it to be far more effective than splitting hairs over a few hundred grams for the sake of slandering new technology.

Stop giving me a batery and starter. I dont want one on a race bike. New YZ250's and 250SX's do not have baterys or starters. they weigh 212 lbs.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »
Repeat blindly?

Absolute Rubbish.

Stop giving me a batery and starter. I dont want one on a race bike. New YZ250's and 250SX's do not have baterys or starters. they weigh 212 lbs.

thats definitely something to weigh up.

I dont particularly want electric start either, even for a road legal 2T ;)

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
EFI'd 4ts have weighed more, than their carb'd predecessors (other than Hondas CRF450R, I think), basically due to larger flywheels / stators, and the addition of fuel pumps, and other smaller items. The throttle body, and injector, would probably match the weight of an FCR carb, perhaps a poofteenth less.

In the pic Jeram put up, there's quite a few extra, small items, over  a carb set up. I'd say there is a little bit more weight, than a carb, and fuel line, but, really, bugger all. Though, I have the feeling, that additions would be needed to the existing stator / ignition, and or a battery / condenser added? But, maybe not - I'm not particularly electronics literate, though I'll have to make an effort, sooner, rather than later.

Yep, Orbital have had stratified induction, by the balls, for years. They designed it, and perfected (well, it is ever changing ) it, so, they've a right to the patents, and licensing fees.

Athena's injector pointing 'up, into the combustion chamber', as I've written many times, is a beautifully elegant, simple way to DFI a 2t, using aspects of 2ts design, to reduce / eliminate the need for high pressures. That has been a  big bug bear for 2t application.  DFI, does not have to be in the, up till now, familiar / traditional, 'from above' format, well, not in a 2t, that's for sure.

The Ossas second injector, appears to be mounted much like the Athena set up. It's use of a case / inlet port / manifold mounted?,  1st injector, represents a very simple way of delivering oil to components that need oil. I'm sure, other designs will use different ways to do this - there are many, be it constant loss, as premixed bikes are, or simply routing oil through the mains, crank big end , little end (all, easily sealed) with perhaps a slight 'directed loss' to lube the cylinder / rings piston - though, of course, materials can be used that do not require lubrication from oil - fuel, can be all that's used, if anything.

Oil, is a relatively  small part of the 2t pollution problem - unburnt fuel IS The Big Problem.

KTM, have consistently said, that their registrable bikes, will be the first 2ts to have "whatever" their solution they will use, to enable their 2ts pass the forthcoming Euro Emission rules. The MXers, are Not subject to the rules that 'on road vehicles ' are - but, they will eventually have it fitted.

2ts,  if they are made as new engine modules, should not be any heavier - the 2t engines, currently in use, have had little effort put into them to make them lighter (barring the smaller top ends on KTMs). So, there is a bit  of weight, that can be parred from the current 2t engines - with New engines.

Even without going for a lighter weight engine, with a YZ250 - just fitting the 4t swing arm, linkage, and, I think, shock, saves somewhere near 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Purely, because, Yamaha have worked very hard, to reduce weight in the 250 F, and the 450Fs, whilst the YZ, has stayed the same, since 05 / 06.

So, DFI'd, EFi'd 2ts, really should not put any weight on. If they are done properly.

Far cleaner, far more fuel efficient - the 2 things 2ts , Have to become, to continue to exist.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »
ahhh lovely to read another one of your replies ;)

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
So you are basing your whole argument on the fact that "enduro" bikes already have the battery, stator and heavy flywheel then.  Gotcha.  Pretty sure there is a motocross bike posted, and I am pretty sure that the table full of parts you posted weighs more than a carb.  Unless they are made out of helium, and I don't know about it.

Does this look like fast food and cocacola to you?  I'll shoulder press a 125, EFI or carb.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
What about vibrations? I see water proof parts on that table, but I would think that the vibrations from an engine would be almost detrimental to the electronics.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
I think something is being missed here.DI, because the fuel is being injected into the combustion chamber "after" the exhaust port is closed (reduced scavenging losses), would result in increased bottom end torque,reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption.Can't see anything wrong with that.

DI Ski Doo snowmobiles are laying waste to the competition in my area and I wonder if the same would happen if 2T dirt bikes embraced the same technology.

I once spoke to a guy who built hot rods about the switch from carbs to DI/EFI.He said "no big deal,same principle slightly different way of going about it" and this guy was in his 60's.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
So you are basing your whole argument on the fact that "enduro" bikes already have the battery, stator and heavy flywheel then.  Gotcha.  Pretty sure there is a motocross bike posted, and I am pretty sure that the table full of parts you posted weighs more than a carb.  Unless they are made out of helium, and I don't know about it.

Does this look like fast food and cocacola to you?  I'll shoulder press a 125, EFI or carb.

dont worry about the weight of EFI... your first and foremost concern should be removing that large, round, heavy mass that is attached to your back. It must be slowing you down heaps.  :P

Offline Marco810

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16:48 AM »

that's what i'm thinking as well, aside from the cleaner burning, the only reason 4's went to it is for throttle response, which 2 strokes already have great throttle response, whereas on a 4 there is a bit of a lag between cracking the throttle and you moving forward

Its more of a vacuum issue. When running those high strung cams the low rpm vacuum goes to shit, making a carb less ideal

And the whole thing about weight wouldnt be much of a deal if you used lipo batteries. You could charge them before a run or settup a charging system

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
There is that, but I hate lithium polymer batteries with a passion. Big f-ing joke of a battery. I don't need a dirt bike catching fire in the garage randomly..

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
I've resisted weighing in here as we've had all these arguments before, but I'd like to point out some things:

Weight: Yes, FI will require a battery - at least to start it. The injection system should be able to run off the stator so a normal wet battery might not be necessary. In fact, a capacitor might just do the trick. It might also require additional weight in the flywheel since power delivery will be more linear. I am guessing I am wrong there as I would think LESS weight would be necessary but I don't have direct experience here. One thing being overlooked is the fuel economy. When John Deer bought the patent for a DI 2 stroke 125, it had DOUBLED the fuel economy. Using that as a base line, instead of a 2+ gallon fuel tank, a DI bike could get away with a 1+ gallon fuel tank and saving over 7 lbs - making up for the battery. It would be a wash (The bike just has to go about 35 miles per tank or 40 minutes). More importantly, the weight could be redistributed lower since there has to be a fuel pump anyway (Bottom of the frame? Do away with a tank all together?) thus improving handling.

Complexity: This is a big issue and part of the argument that the current crop of 2T's, Dad can work on in the garage. Fact is, that with a little knowledge (and tools), the DI will be easier - but you will need to learn it (and have a laptop with the software package). That is a scary proposition, especially since many older folks have a fear of the computer. However, kids today are less inclined to fear technology and if a manufacturer wanted, they could make in connect via USB or even wirelessly (with no weight gain) and you could 'tune it' via your ipad/iphone (or equivalent smart phone or tablet). You could even do it on the fly! Then, someone will get tired of paying $500+ for the software or applet and write an Open Source version and then the price will come down to little or nothing.

Cost: Yep. Gonna cost more. The OEM's have to recoup their investment. However, as long as the Big 5 drag their feet, the little guys (TM, OSSA, Beta, Can-Am (I'm dreaming...), Maico (you are dreaming...), and even Husqvarna) can get the jump on them and take a share of the market. When the Big 5 do join in, they'll HAVE TO DO IT AT A LOWER PRICE POINT. No one will pay Boutique Brand prices for a Honda - ever. So in the long run, the cost will not be any greater. Yes, it might be more, but no more than a thumper.

OK, here's my OPINION.

FI is a great idea. One that needs to be explored and exploited. Not only will it open the doors to other modifications but also improve the aftermarket with better upgrades, modifications, software, and just might improve the one thing that is out of control: The Cost of ownership.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »

Its more of a vacuum issue. When running those high strung cams the low rpm vacuum goes to shit, making a carb less ideal

And the whole thing about weight wouldnt be much of a deal if you used lipo batteries. You could charge them before a run or settup a charging system

That is due to lack of plenum volume.  Motorcycles don't really have a manifold.

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
KTM SX250 2T 2013
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »

My burnout reps after my workouts consists of pushups with my 105lb girlfriend on my back . I just wear her like a backpack .

The though of needing a diag machine to ride my dirtbike scares me . I like fixing things with tools but I'm not downing the idea , I just dont want it .