Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New Bike Prep & Ride  (Read 2445 times)

Offline drinkchai

• Novice
    • View Profile
New Bike Prep & Ride
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
Just got my first MX bike, a brand new Yamaha YZ125 2T!!

Question A:  Before I take it to the track for the very first time, what bike prep do I need to do?

Question B:  Any one in SoCal I can tag along with to ride this new bike?  I need seat time/experience.....I only have road bike experience.....  I live in West Covina, CA

Thanks......

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: New Bike Prep & Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
It sounds as though this is your first motocross bike... is that true??

If my assumption is correct... the most important thing to do is to check all the nuts and bolts, they have a tendency to loosen up pretty quickly.

Personally I would take the air filter out, clean off the oil from the factory and apply some high quality filter oil along with a good seal of grease around the edge.

After that I suggest that you just ride and enjoy it.....

If you have more motocross riding experience, the suggestions would be a bit more involved.

Congratulations on the new bike!! Please post or send some photos!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
congrats on the bike. you can find my other thread on yz250 break in. we were talking about heat cycles and stuff. enjoy the bike.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
it may sound insane but i disassemble and grease or anti-seize the following on any new bike before riding it: shock linkage, swingarm pivot, steering head, shock pivots, axles, and chain adjuster bolts. that way i know everything has been properly lubed and i can power wash without fear when done riding.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
admiral, you are correct, that is one of the more important aspects of new bike ownership.....

Although I must admit to be a bit old-school in the fact that I don't use a power washer. If you chose to use a power washer I would suggest re-greasing at least once if not twice a year.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »
i couldn't live without my power washer. i can't store my bike dirty. as long as you're careful with it and stand back a little ways there is no problem. but yeah, some marine grease a couple times a year is the key. love the Mr. Moto was too.