Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Knight still winning on 2-strokes  (Read 4032 times)

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Knight still winning on 2-strokes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
I thought Taddy rode the 2T's and the Knightster 4T's.

Offline HS125

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
I would think with the extreme races the lighter 2st is the best weapon.  Although Knighter could drag a 4 turd up ledges, I think he would prefer the 2st.  (I've seen pictures of him dragging a 2st up some ledges in the Last Man Standing race in Texas).

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:22:44 AM »
I just got the latest, newsstand issue of TBM here in OZ (so it's months behind..).

In the report of the final EWC round, it was written that DK wanted to ride a 300, but it was vetoed by KTM. Whilst a brilliant rider, he was really assisted by Seb Gs injuries and Nambotin's bizarre mechanicals last season.

The funny thing is that the Brits / Euros, cite 2ts as having big advantages in the wet / slippery conditions that most people seem to think (especially in the US) as being bad for them. I know I can just chug past blokes stuck on slippery hils on their big 4ts, on my CRE500. Knighter himself has written / was quoted as saying the only advantage the big 4ts have is on the fast grass track special tests, where they can use all of the capacity advantage. Though, through much of what I come across, he's mainly on a 530 that is more of a 480, or whatever is the minimum capacity for 3ts in E3.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
In the report of the final EWC round, it was written that DK wanted to ride a 300, but it was vetoed by KTM.

Perhaps KTM has made promises to the OEM's about not letting too many 2S trokes to participate..?
Of course they have to keep their 4 strokes popular in order to keep sales going.
But sad to hear that the riders are beiing forced like this..  :-\

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
Ej,

You make a good point about the possibility of KTM making promises about not backing more 2st riders to race,
I would say, as an example, a the a family has a brilliant step child, their almost too embarrashed to let them shine but at the same time they can help but be proud of the step childs accomplishments, they want to cater to the 2st crowd were there is a market, a very narrow two lane street with wider lane on the 4st side.
hmmm, does that last statment kinda make sense?
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »
In my area in the Spring things can be incredibly slick for a while - two inches of mud with ice underneath.In these conditions a 4T will not hook up while a 2T just putts away.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
In the report of the final EWC round, it was written that DK wanted to ride a 300, but it was vetoed by KTM.

Perhaps KTM has made promises to the OEM's about not letting too many 2S trokes to participate..?
Of course they have to keep their 4 strokes popular in order to keep sales going.
But sad to hear that the riders are beiing forced like this..  :-\

In No way would I think that had Anything to do with Any promises to Any other manufacturer. Why in the hell would they Need to make promises to other mfrs to not promote / race 2ts in any series other than AMA Nationals / FIM MX World Championships?

Perhaps you are thinking of the time a couple of years ago where it was reported that KTM was willing to promise to the Japanese manufacturers that they would not put any of their contracted riders onto a 250SX if the AMA were to allow capacity parity?

I think KTMs 2t sales are the main reason they stay afloat and have the money to sink into more 4ts and their road bikes. The fact that other mfrs have bailed from 2ts is THE biggest windfall / gift horse that any manufacturer has ever been delivered.

I think there is way to much silliness with regards to conspiracy theories amongst my fellow 2t enthusiasts - And they too often are latched onto by others to criticize and ridicule the 2t side of things.

It's entirely understandable on KTMs part, to say, no DK, ride the 4t. It is was what he was signed to ride in the EWCs, and it's what they are desperate to sell.

KTM sell every single 300 they make, and I daresay they could sell at least 25%  more if they chose to up production. It's the 4ts that they (and other manufacturers ) continually have backed up in the warehouses, and they (most mfrs) nearly always have to bring out major deals / cash back schemes to try to reduce stocks.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
Well, a few years ago, KTM already had to promise to the big 4 they would not
let Tommy Searle race a 250SX in AMA Pro's.
De Coster was still with Suzuki back then... ;)
Maybe they are afraid a 2stroke would do well against sluggish bigger overweight 4strokes.
Thank god for Taddy Blazusiak!

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
Well, a few years ago, KTM already had to promise to the big 4 they would not
let Tommy Searle race a 250SX in AMA Pro's.

As noted in my posting.  Try reading things in full.  8)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:19 AM »
Think of it this way, Why would KTM promote the smoker...  they can't keep them on the show room floors....  Its the thumpers they need to unload.  The smokers sell themselves, they need little to no promotion to sell, and they sell well.  They are putting their advertising $ into the porkers..  I my opinion, Knight is being told what bike he is going to ride.  I believe he would prefer to be on the 300, but with his size, (he is a big man) he can muscle the porker around, and do pretty well on it  Just think how much better he would do on a 300....   :o
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
And just imagine how well he (and so many others) would do on a modern, DFI'd 350 to 450 (400s my preference) 2t  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bloody hell, why they haven't just made a 380 again, is beyond me. When you see how companies like RPM can make a 434cc out of a 250SX/XC/EXC engine, you wonder why the company that specializes in niche market bikes, hasn't done it. I hope it's because we may be seeing the new 2t engines in 2012. There are new EPA regs coming out for 2012, and you never know when they may extend regulations to off highway engines.

DFI, AR, AST etc are the sorts of set ups that will bring 2ts back to full, legal, road use / green sticker compliance - easily.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
No conspiracy here.
Knight works for KTM. He has to ride what they tell him. No different to any of our bosses.
He is probably the best guy around to drag a 530 or what ever it is through a race.
KTM needs to sell 4 strokes so no point on putting another top guy on a 300.

When you have guy's like Taddy & Birch winning everything under the sun it's not a good look if your 530 is nowhere.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Back when Cycle News was still around, Knight wrote a column for that pub that ran every month or so. In one column, Knight said he was testing a 2-stroke and leaning toward riding one this season.