Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Best Pipe to Offset Losing Top End after Low/Mid Porting  (Read 2472 times)

Offline performance1

• View Profile
Best Pipe to Offset Losing Top End after Low/Mid Porting
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
The bike is an '05 yz250.  All stock engine except I had my porting done by Eric Gorr for low to mid.  Obviously I lost some top end which was expected and I'm running a stock pipe.  Talked with Eric this morning and he said adding an aftermarket pipe for top end would not cancel out the bottom end porting.  So my question is has anyone had low/mid porting done and added a pipe to get some of the top end back.  I'm thinking DEP, Pro Circuit, FMF, etc.  Just seeing if anyone has any experience with this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
Get your hands on an FMF SST pipe. Best mod I ever did to my RM.

The creation of the SST pipe was no accident. R&D invested countless hours to find a way to extend mid-range pull and over-rev. the powerband becomes stronger throughout the midrange with phenomenal peak horsepower. The benefits brought together by the SST makes this pipe one of the most impressive bolt-on 2-stoke modifications that money can buy.

-Makes for crisp response at the crack of the throttle
-Revamp your power band with impressive top-end extension

It did all those things for my bike.
Ontario, Canada

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
FMF SST Pipe for top end....

Offline 2STROKEREVOLUTION

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
Porting and pipes are a give take change. You give up top end for bottom end. If you didn't want that, too late. Finding a pipe to "give back top end" will simply be taking it back away from the bottom end and the porting was a waste of $.

You don't want to port for low and pipe for high, you don't want them "fighting" each other. The best performance comes from them working in harmony. "Pipe to your port"

At this point you have to look into other modes to get more power. Higher compression could help a little. Maybe more efficient reeds. Or any ways to reduce drag on the engine: reduce rolling resistance, reduce weight,digital ignition, etc.
I think your best bet is waiting to see if the APT SmartCarb performs as promised. That should enhance your porting work and give back any lost top end, and then some.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »
I did not lose any bottom end power with the SST, but when it hits, it hit's like a sledgehammer and pulls HARD way past where it used to. I've also had a lot of compliments on the sound of my bike. People tell me that it sounds different than anybody's, and like I'm always on the pipe -  and I'm not that fast  ;D
Ontario, Canada

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »
Porting and pipes are a give take change. You give up top end for bottom end. If you didn't want that, too late. Finding a pipe to "give back top end" will simply be taking it back away from the bottom end and the porting was a waste of $.

You don't want to port for low and pipe for high, you don't want them "fighting" each other. The best performance comes from them working in harmony. "Pipe to your port"

At this point you have to look into other modes to get more power. Higher compression could help a little. Maybe more efficient reeds. Or any ways to reduce drag on the engine: reduce rolling resistance, reduce weight,digital ignition, etc.
I think your best bet is waiting to see if the APT SmartCarb performs as promised. That should enhance your porting work and give back any lost top end, and then some.
higher compression will boost your bottom end but you'll loose a little top end.
I'd say if Eric Gorr is telling you to get a topend pipe then it's probably gonna work.
In saying that though, what 2SRTOKEREVOLUTION's saying makes sense. pipe for your port job.
2Tinstitute is the one to ask.[/i]

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
Having a bottom end motor with a top end pipe is a little silly, you will end up worse off.
there are two easy things you can do to fix this:

1. install another base gasket to raise the cylinder, then shave the head by the same amount to retain compression. this will raise your ports slightly. this is old hat thinking where everything is a tradeoff between bottom end and top end.

However:

2. Modern porting techniques are not as much of a trade off (trading top end in favor of bottom end).
as you can have your cake and eat it too.

Im not sure why eric gore isnt doing this, because there is a very simple porting technique which allows you to port for great bottom end power (exactly like you've done) while retaining the same top end as previously with a simple change.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Could just cut 20mm from the belly of the pipe. BTW there is no  'low/bottom end' porting. The PIPE does all the work, everything must match the pipe. Trust me you can run 16:1 comp, open the exhaust port at 86 deg ATDC and still rev to 14,000 on avgas, IF you have the right pipe.