Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: FIM rules and other personal info  (Read 2069 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
FIM rules and other personal info
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:50 AM »
Well, according to the rulebook, the FIM allows MX3 to field up to a 500cc 2 stroke.  So if someone actually wanted, they could race a AF500 or even Maico's etc.  That would be something that someone over the pond should look into.  According to magazine tests, the 500AF's on both Kawi's and Honda's, outran the 450F.  

Next, is my personal experience recently, that made me happy.  I went to get my tires mounted, since I powdercoated them, I didn't want to scuff them. Anyways, I showed the 20ish kid my CR500AF pics, and he said, "I would so trade my 450F for one of those, I'm so over the 4 stroke thing."  I was like, awesome.  I hope amateurs start moving away from the 4 strokes, and start showing the general population, that the 2 stroke when fairly raced, can win still.  If we start having enough racing in the local races and winning, we maybe won't even need the pro's riding them.  Other than some of our  people like the team John is setting up.  If everyone remembers back, the 4 strokes didn't take over until 04ish, but the bikes had been made since the late 90's (YZ400F).  So it takes time to change everyones mind.  Hopefully, the tide is starting to shift and we will start seeing it more and more.  Just my 2 cents on things.  
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: FIM rules and other personal info
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
I race AMA District 37 Hare & Hound, I started last year after a 24 year layoff.
January 2009 it was about 80% 4stroke.
Same race January 2010 about 55-60% 4 stroke.
This is desert racing, and there is no 4 stroke handicap, But it looks like the tide is turning.

My son was going through sound check, And the sound check guys were complimenting him on his CR250, I heard one of them say "I wish I had a Two stroke".

I was getting thumbs up at all of the check points as well, Musta been the two stroke... Or maybe they were surprised a guy my age could make it that far?

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »
Hey,
While on the topic of the FIM, just wanted to know if anyone else had read that scathing report that Motocross Action did on the current FIM - Youthstream - World motocross GP regime? It was a very interesting read, and while one sided, made plenty of valid points about the current arrangements. It seems that it isnt just four strokes trying to kill our sport, there is greed at a very top level as well. Would like to hear the opinions of you guys over in Europe on the state of affairs of World Motocross, and if it really is a big cash cow for the governing body. I do remember that there was every indication that the FIM was to change the displacement regulations to allow 250 two strokes to race 250 four strokes last year but that quietly fizzled away.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:38 AM »
i found the report about the head of the fim blocking the plan because of speed concerns by the factory's .Cant find it on the web now?But they are so up the jap 4 that they dont do anything without the say so of the 4t mafia .His name was Lppolito .It said Lppolito blocks proposal 250=250. >:D