Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Small Exhaust leak? How can i fix it?  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Small Exhaust leak? How can i fix it?
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
Me and my brother went for a short ride around our neighbor hood today and he noticed when i got back that smoke was coming out of where the pipe connects to the exhaust. And it also spits some of that famous nasty left over 2 stroke on the swing arm. I included a pic. As you can see it leaks right out of the boot. what can i do to eliminate it?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:29:46 AM by Braap257 »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Small Exhaust leak? How can i fix it?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
You could try hose clamps. Also make sure the silencer is fully seated.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »
Thanks Coop I might try that. I Know this is kind of a silly question to ask but i just wanted some opinions.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »
I've had problems with that pipe-silencer area in the past (and can you take a guess at which bike it was).  The rubber piece that was on the bike when we got it was totally chowdered, being the wrong size, clamped down to the balls and then run that way for about a decade.  I was starting to doubt if there was even any rubber left, and maybe the silencer was being held on by a big black glob of oil, which would explain the big streaks it would leave on any part of your body if you went near it.  In short, it was an ugly situation.

Got it fixed now, though, with a good-fitting piece of good quality hose material.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
On my KTM there is a rubber boot where the exhaust connects to the silencer. KTM wants of $30 for this little piece of rubber...  I when to the local automotive store, and found a radiator hose that was the same size for $10.  Where the pipe connects to the cylinder, I added high temp RTV silicone to ensure a good seal.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
On my KTM there is a rubber boot where the exhaust connects to the silencer. KTM wants of $30 for this little piece of rubber...  I when to the local automotive store, and found a radiator hose that was the same size for $10.  Where the pipe connects to the cylinder, I added high temp RTV silicone to ensure a good seal.

I believe there are two boots on it with plastic hose clamps. Ive included a pic at the top of the thread so everyone can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
That rubber part is a sleeve that loosend with age.
Make sure it is centered over the Pipe/silencer joint, and put a zip tie in each of the grooves, and Pull them down good and tight.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
That rubber part is a sleeve that loosend with age.
Make sure it is centered over the Pipe/silencer joint, and put a zip tie in each of the grooves, and Pull them down good and tight.

The boot seems to be centered and tight as it is. I guess i could pick up some new ties and cut the old ones and see if i can center it better...

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:39:01 AM »
The boot is not loose at all. I think my best bet might be some high temp sealer...

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
Like mentioned, I have had good luck with heater hose and metal hose clamps. It works for sealing both sound and spooge (black oily stuff that comes out of the pipe).

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »
If it's spitting black spooge like that she's running bit rich.
You shouldn't get crap like that dripping out of your exhaust, and yeah just hi temp silicone and zip ties should do the trick.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:55 AM »
Sounds like my dad's answer to everything.  At one point, our house and everything in it was practically held together entirely with silicone.  And you know what?  Nothing ever came apart or leaked.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:42:09 AM »
I'm with TotalNZ (even though they just flogged us in the footy), your problem isn't the rubber boot, it's the overly rich jetting.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:25 AM »
I have plugged the exhaust with some High temp putty stuff. I think it will do the trick. As for the spooge. The guy i bought the bike from said the gas in the tank is pretty old and that i should run it out as quick as possible and put some fresh stuff in there. I'm thinkin that might make it clear up a bit. He seemed to know a great deal about these bikes... How hard is it to jet leaner? Info please.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:49:16 AM by Braap257 »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »
Jetting is easy. Seems scary at first, but once you do it and see how much better your bike runs you will wish you did it sooner. RockyMountain ATV/MC is a great place to get cheap jets (about 1/5 of what my dealer charges per jet).

Scroll down to post #14 in the attached link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893531&highlight=spanky+jetting