Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2001 A good Year for Yamaha's YZ250?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
2001 A good Year for Yamaha's YZ250?
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:44 AM »
Im just curious because im looking at bikes now and am wanting to know how well yamahas 01 yz250 performed..

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 A good Year for Yamaha's YZ250?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
I had mates with 01 YZ 250's back then and i can tell ya they were one of the best 250's of that time. plenty of grunt, nice to ride and Yamaha reliability.
If you want one and can find a well looked after one that isnt worn out, go for it you wouldnt be dissapointed.
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »
Agreed.A very good bike.A riding buddies young fella has one and it runs strong with no issues.Of course,he gives it all the proper care and feeding of a typical 18 yr old-I think he hosed it off once last year ::)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
Agreed.A very good bike.A riding buddies young fella has one and it runs strong with no issues.Of course,he gives it all the proper care and feeding of a typical 18 yr old-I think he hosed it off once last year ::)

Haha well I'm not even 18 yet lol. But! I take care of my stuff. Im gunna have the money to buy my 1st 250 in August, and I want to make the right choice. I Hear when it comes to two stroke its either Suzuki or Yamaha.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
The Suzuki is a great bike with great steering. Can get the speed wobbles though at high speed. :)
Nothing to worry about, You get used to it pretty quickly.
Make sure what ever bike you get that you check it over properly.
The Suzuki of that year can have gearbox issues. Make sure the gear lever does not have any play in it.
The bolt holding the gearshift stopper can come loose and the shifter cam can start to select 2 gears at once. >:D
It's easy to fix with some loctite.
Also check the intake port bridge has not cracked.
Not trying to put you off but with any older bike you need to make sure your not getting a lemon.
The RM is a great bike that will out turn most bikes.

P.S Not sure what you should look out for on the YZ. Some one here should know any issues they may have.
Good hunting. Brrrrp Brrrrp
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, I hear the RM tends to handle the best. But the YZ's Engine is just incredible. So i Think ive completely ruled out Honda and Kawasaki. Kawi smokers go for real cheap around here for some reason.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
Hey Braap257,Don't be afraid to check a couple of the European 2-strokes out either,ie KTM,Husqvarna,Gas Gas or TM's.I'm NOT saying that Yamaha or Suzuki's are'nt GREAT rides because they are definetely GREAT bikes! I have owned 4 Suzuki dirtbikes in my life & they all have been great bikes but only you can make the choice on the ride you prefer.Whatever bike you decide to get make sure you check it over really good,or have someone else who may know a little better than you look it over with a fine tooth comb so you don't end up getting ripped off! Trust me that can happen.Put the bike on a stand & wiggle the front & rear wheels to check for worn out wheel bearings which is'nt hard to replace but if the person see's you looking the bike over real well and you find some minor but not too costly problems with the bike you can drastically get the cost of the bike to drop in your favor ;) Whatever bike you get I wish you all the luck in the world & I hope you get a super good deal!!! :)   PS,Unless it's a 4-stroke & then your on your own! >:(

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
lol