Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Great site, my first post-enjoy!  (Read 4031 times)

Offline M.Rad.

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:00:48 PM by M.Rad. »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Great site, my first post-enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
Welcome aboard!I see we have someone who appreciates the finer things in life (I have a 74 Pursang 250 and a 75 Alpina 350). ;D

Offline M.Rad.

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
Appreciate-yes.  Own, unfortunately, no.   I have always been a fan of the '76  Pursang 370, a true work of art.

Personally I own a 1977 Suzuki DS185, 1978 Suzuki DR370, and a 1991 Honda CR500.  But as soon as I hit those lottery numbers...

Congratulations on your fine stable of historic mounts, SachsGS.

Regards,
M.R.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
Two Buls I'm looking for are a 72 Matador and a 76/77/78 Frontera.I've found that if a person never gives up one will usually show up sooner or later at a reasonable price.Case in point:I was at a shop picking up a vintage Montesa Cota and I saw what appeared to be the rear of a Sachs engine on an overhead shelf.When I inquired about it the owner said it was going to the dump that afternoon and gave most of the bike to me for free - a 1969 Zundapp 100 ISDT. ;D

Offline M.Rad.

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »
Man, an ISDT yet!  I'd love to "stumble" on to something like that, but how does one go about finding the barn, or old shop, or cluttered garage with a possible treasure?  How would I begin such a search?

Regards,
M.R.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Craigslist,Kijiji,bargain finders and networking.Once a person develops a reputation as a vintage bike collector the bikes will tend to come to you.Couple of examples that have come my way:a seven fin CZ 125 - the guy said his wife told him to bring it to the dump.He was the original owner.The CZ fired up with a carb cleaning and the price was a case of beer.

1980 Gilera 125 MX - my brother found the bike abandoned in an orchard.

1981 Wheelsmith Maico 250 - a friend found the bike.$250.

In the case of the Zundapp I responded to an ad for a Montesa Cota on Craigslist.Turns out the guy had two Cotas,the Zundapp (free) and a basket case CZ 250 MX ($25).

Once I was driving to town and I saw the cylinder head of a Ducati 250 sticking out of a garbage can (sharp eyes!).Next garbage day the rest of the Ducati 250 Scrambler was parked next to the garbage can.A friend found me a 1975 Sachs 175 (first generation 1751 5A) at the scrap metal dealer.

I know the locations of more than a few bikes - (2) CZ 400s and a Can Am 350 ASE for example.You have to be careful or things can get out of control! ::)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
The main thought that occurs to me here are how many pieces of irretrievable moto history end up on the trash heap? :(
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »
This is going back many years but a friend intercepted a truck load of Yamaha Canada factory YZs on the way to the crusher.This was before the production rule and the bikes were hand made and I saw them - billet forks,sandcast magnesium cases, etc..Talk about trick!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
I assume you have them stashed away in your basement now?  :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
Unfortunately,no.The watercooled 125 ended up as a roadracer and the rest,I'm not sure (my friend passed away shortly after).If I did have them I'd be cruising in my SL Benz,top down,cigar in mouth and cheezy Euro techno pop blaring away. ;) 

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
Exactly how I pictured you.If I could find it I'd link the Simpsons Hellfish episode where the German guy drives away doing just that.Oh well. :)