Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico-the final answer  (Read 24226 times)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Re: Maico-the final answer
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Here's one of a YZ490 going up against a YFZ1000

YZ 490 Dragbike smokes YZF 1000cc Yamaha

you gotta love it  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
As far as Kawasaki's go the only Kawi that I've ever owned was a 3-wheeler.It was a 1984 or 85 "It's been so long ago" 250 Tecate 2-stroke.The radiator was in or on the front forks & it had a KX-250 engine & it was very fast & I always smoked the crap out of my buddy on his Honda 200x 4-choke!But that was pretty easy to do considering my 3-wheeler had a 250 2stroke engine & he only had a 200cc 4 choke!By the way the truth is I really despise 3 & 4 wheelers but at the time it was a great deal & the friend of mine that was selling it needed the money & I was rideless at the time so that Kawasaki 3-wheeler was better than nothing at all to ride!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »
With proper gearing and tires a KX500 will easily do a low 12 second 1/4 mile pass. Top speed is related to the drag coefficient (wind resistance) and is a function of horsepower. In the old days it was said "you need 30hp tp go a 100 mph.".

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
Actually, Sachs, I believe it would make it in well under 12 seconds. I can't post a link here, don't know if it's ever been on the web, but in 1985, just for the heck of it, Dirtbike magazine did an article pitting some hot (at the time) Honda street 500 against the '85 Honda CR500. They put street tires on the CR, raised the gearing, of course, and I believe put a wheelie-bar on it as well, but the motor was stock, as was the frame and suspension, carb, and everything else. It easily smoked the 500 streetbike and came in the high 11s in the quarter mile. The '85 Honda CR500 was one of the more powerful versions and would easily beat say a 2000 or 2001 CR500 which in comparison, were a bit de-tuned. Going by that, given the same mods, and a decent rider, the KX ought to do slightly better even than that bike. Anyhow, high 11s in the quarter mile should be easily achievable on a good running KX500 with a stock motor.

As to that YZ vid, that was most impressive. I wonder what motor modifications it had. Most of the 500 2strokes were very mildly tuned, compared to say, a 250, and I've always wondered what one could do when somebody really hopped it up. That YZ 490 video speaks volumes!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Wow, I think that "high-powered street racer" that ran against the KX500 is actually a 750 two-stroke triple.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:12:30 PM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 03:38:42 PM »
"Opfermanmotors-Who's George Marshall?Moreover,the fact that his ability or riding style better suits an old big bore 2t is just fine but it doesn't make it gospel to 99.9% of the rest of the population-myself included."

Oh the irony!  This thread was started by you showing 1 person's video and opinion to end all Maico discussions!!

I think you may have missed the "tongue-in-cheekiness" of this thread opfermanmotors :D Oh,the humanity..... ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »
Hey SachsGS:
I read a couple of posts back you have had some TM experence.
Have you used Wossner pistons ?
If so how have you found them ?
Are they a 1 or 2 ring piston.
Was going to order 1 but it's a six week delay from the factory.
I have used Wossner's before in my KTM so know they are good.
I want a 2 ring piston to hopefully make the ring last a bit longer.
Cheers for any info.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
I spoke to my brother who has more TM experience then me and here is what he said:Wossner is a subsidiary of Mahle and is an excellent piston.As well, there are two TM cylinders and the cylinder that comes stock with the two ring piston will accept the single ring piston but not vice versa (something about the ring locating pin and snagging ports). If you need anymore info. don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
I thought all the 300's had 1 ring pistons.
Mine has the single ring.
I was after a bit more durability.
I did not know about 2 different cylinders.
I will have to try and find out more.
I looked up the Wossner website and they list a piston for my bike. Just dosn't say if 2 or 1 ring.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
The Maico thread has turned into a TM discussion.  The irony is thick, creamy, and sky-blue.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2010, 08:22:48 PM »
But it's the right shade of blue.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
hmmmm, would that be IT blue  ::)
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
The Maico thread has turned into a TM discussion.  The irony is thick, creamy, and sky-blue.

It's amazing how the most beatiful flower can grow from the most disgusting manure pile isn't it? :D ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »
All the intelligent people on this site(minus the Maico haters)know that without a doubt the best,fastest,most reliable bikes are the European brands!You all know which ones I'm talking about.KTM's,Maico's,Husqvarna's & TM's!!!!!!!!!and everyone of those brands build our beloved 2-strokes. ;)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
Older TM 300s had two ring pistons. From what I understand there are two powervalve configurations (hence two types of cylinders).Ah, come on, TMs are nice bikes.