Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.  (Read 14275 times)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Re: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
DI is pretty cool with respect to emissions. Would be as well on a 4T. The poster that said the DI 2T was cleaner than the 4T was probably referencing a comparison of 2T DI to a carb 4T. Any high performance 4T will have valve overlap -- i.e. the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time for some short period. That allows unburned fuel air mixture to short circuit the combustion chamber -- just like from xfer to exhaust in a normal 2T. The degree is less but the same effect as far as emissions. By making the 2T DI, you end up with a bike cleaner than a 4T and therefore get the EPA and Sierra Club off our backs (for that factor anyway -- other "reasons" will persist of course). I also like the lower fuel use aspect. If you can go riding on 2 gallons on a trail that use to take 3 gallons, well -- you just more than made up the extra weight of the DI gizmos.

KTM, Yamaha, GasGas, HBerg, are you listening? If I can get a green sticker 2T in good 'ol CA for the same price and less weight than a 4T, with equivalent chassis performance and at least as much HP as a carb 2T I will buy it tomorrow! Make them street legal in CA and I might have to buy 2 of them!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:51:35 PM by citabjockey »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »
I just saw 1 2-st in the vid, where,s the 125 jr. video thanks.  I have a 2mm longer rod in my cr125 mod bike, much higher revs,top end pulls  further. This is what a 250 2-st needs.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
TMKIWI - that's why Evinrude didnt consult you when they were designing their oversquare DI engine. But i admit, i should have said DI's are no longer "fully" dependant on port timing. When the injector releases its spray into the combustion chamber is now at the discretion of the engineer, not the piston

I was talking about 125's & 250's.
Nothing wrong with oversquare in larger motors. ;D

As I said in an earlier post chris2t, the ETEC motors use an existing carby engine design.
Being short stroke has nothing to do with DI.

P.S. You would be surprised what they have consulted with me about.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:56:53 PM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
A 2 stroke CAN be made to no longer be Fully dependent, or have any dependency on Any inlet ports, other than the injector itself. That it Can be done, sure as hell doesn't mean it will be done.

DFI can be made to deliver the Entire fuel / air charge to the combustion chamber. But, it's not very practical -  a very uncalculated (just to cover myself with regards to pedants)  assumption is that the 'charging system' would be very large / bulky /heavy/power draining etc. etc. With no charge generating parts, the carriage of sufficient air / oxygen charge storage would be rather 'difficult' to deal with......... :o :D.

So. it is a very doubtful thing that it would ever appear on a motorcycle, of any type.

For 2ts to remain available for Any applications, in the future, more than just a carb is going to be needed. AST, trapping valves, AR, and Many other techs are out there to enable continued use of carbs. EFI, just an electronic carb, used with the previous sentences techs, is a possibility, to meet coming regulations. I recently had a very serendipitous encounter, and a subsequently long discussion, with a high level person from Victa Australia , and their commitment (and, now, Briggs and Stratton [sp?], their 'owners' ) to 2ts for future use over 4ts was very encouraging. DFI,  is just another way to deliver fuel / air charge, to deliver improvements - more than just the environmental and fuel economy that is so largely at the forefront for it's coming use. But environmental issues and economy are what is focused on with 2ts (and 4ts), by legislators. Unfortunately, the very real advantages 2ts already have in terms of production environmental costs, and 'whole of life' environmental costs, has been swept under the carpet

The posting of the Athena video (and the patent numbers) shows that DFI, as most tend to know it (coming in from the Cylinder head), is far from the only solution. When you see companies such as Athena doing this, and, hopefully, having it applied, you know there are a lot more (in terms of numbers)viable solutions than just variations on Orbitals Stratified charge DFI.

Short stroke / long stroke - both have been around for along time. Both configurations (and the mid ground between each extreme), offer advantages. And disadvantages.

4ts went to short stroke for high power applications long, long ago. Check 4t road racers/ multis from the sixties. Your basic XR250 was a very over square engine compared to the vast majority of 2ts. The over-square dimensions have just got a bit more extreme. What's the general F1 V8 dimension - 90/92(?) x 39.?mm, now? Ironically the KTM 350 has lesser over-square dimensions than the 'Berg 390 / KTM 400. The previous 'split case 'Berg 450 was a higher bore stroke ratio again. Close to, or at 1.8 to 1, I think? Yet it wasn't set up to be much of a 'screamer'.

For dirt use, we are talking about limited traction. So, we don't use engines highest levels of tune - not even if they are true tiddlers - we need tractability and a reasonably wide spread of power. Electronics, further development will help with usability issues, when going for higher and higher outputs - but, as ever, it means more complication, and higher costs. So goes it.

There are people here getting Long Rod set ups, confused with long stroke set ups.

I'd be happy to just play with a simple Keihin carb, but, I'll deal with Whatever is required to keep 2ts available to me. And I'll be trusting (naive?) enough to expect that it will deliver real improvements, just as the majority of new tech has done during the development of ICE engines.

DFI kits have been used in Asia, to clean up the emissions from millions of little 2ts engines, that are in use there.

2tInstitute:

You've seemed to be a bit negative with regards to DFI, for quite some time, here. These are questions, not attacks, on you:

Would I be correct in thinking it might come from a perspective of it not being the Only solution available to apply to 2ts?

I can see that as being a very valid point, hence my always citing other techs available for use in 2ts. I share that line of thought to a certain extent.

I do, however, think DFI may become the 'norm', as, like so much in engineering, the one solution is inevitably focused on by manufacturers, if it has proved to be viable, and cost effective - if only by it's sheer weight of numbers. A simple example, being the almost exclusive use of the Keihin FCR carbs  (a lower tech example, certainly, but a hell of a carb) with 4t dirt bikes, up till recently.

Bringing us , the long way, back to current 4t ascendancy over 2ts :D :'(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:32:53 PM by bearorso »

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »
You say negative I say realistic. Comes down to a 2T engine not playing by rules, it can be done though and the more time you spend at WOT the easier it becomes.A 125 with DFI and a dry bottom end(fuel-less) would not see out a 30min moto or a proper GP length road race without a complicated big end/main bearing oiling/cooling system, or you would have to inject fuel into the crankcase(there goes the emissions) etc etc etc, it just gets harder and more complex with yet anonther ancilary system with a carb you have that and a cable.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »
... without a complicated big end/main bearing oiling/cooling system...

It doesn't have to be complicate. It just has to be wet. Oiling the mains has nothing to do with the emissions. It's just another part of the process because of the scavenging effect.

Cars, boats, and other engines are using EFI and DFI. Only cost and people unwilling to change are holding back the 2T Motorcycle.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:21 AM »
Thanks.

But wouldn't you also agree that 250=250 is a fair class structure to have.
I have been slammed on here before about its not fair.
That race proves it.
Are you asking me?  Umm, I'm pretty sure I've NEVER slammed anyone for saying that is fair.  Have pointed out multiple times here and Vital, that the 250 2 stroke isn't gonna win in pro class still, because the fast guys will still be on the 4 strokes.  But atleast it gives the normal guy a chance to compete on a level playing field without having to spend thousands on a PC motor or rebuilds.  I've even asked DC to allow the 2 strokes to just be completely bone stock in the motor. He said they would not be able to protect from cheaters. etc etc etc.  I'd like to compare a big bore non ported 250F bike against the HP from a PC bike. If I was a 35th guy, I'd have to ask myself, is it really cheating with a big bore, compared to a PC bike?  I'd love to see a completely stock pro class.
The 250 class at the recent NZ national champs was won by a pro on a 2T, just.
His results and times on his modded 2t were about the same as the results and times of the other pros on modded 250f's. He is also the manager of the yamaha team in NZ so guess he can ride what he wants.
250 vs 250 is totally fair in my opinion mod or stock, pro or clubman.
The little extra power from the 2t is offset by the easier to manage 4banger.
just my opinion of course though.
Darryl King is something else though. Plus he is about 50 years old. To win the lites class is an amazing result and shows really how good he is. Could be the last man to win a national lites championship on a two stroke ever. Unless we get out way. In respect to some of the other posts though, I do think that some peoples desires completely outweigh reality. 2T institute makes some very good points that I completely agree with.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Darryl King is something else though. Plus he is about 50 years old. 

42 Acually. :P

Question for our American readers.
I have been trying to work out how quick DK really is.
At the World Vets he is always diceing with Doug Dubach for the win.
How quick is Dr. D these days.Would he make a main ?
Just trying to put things in perspective.
Cheers.

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
He could qualify for a national for sure. Im not sure where he would finish though
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
I'm gonna say Doug would maybe qualify. But he would get smoked by someone like Ryan Hughes. So, the question would be, where would Hughes be in the pack of 40.  I'm gonna say Top 20, maybe top 15, so Dr. D would probably be close to the tail end. JMHO.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »

It doesn't have to be complicate. It just has to be wet. Oiling the mains has nothing to do with the emissions. It's just another part of the process because of the scavenging effect.

Cars, boats, and other engines are using EFI and DFI. Only cost and people unwilling to change are holding back the 2T Motorcycle.

I don't think your grasping the concept of what fuel does in the crankcase.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
I agree with 2T in that if DI makes it to bikes the last we will see is a 125.
If we do get DI it will start with relatively low reving large capacity off road bikes first.

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 01:43:38 AM »

I don't think your grasping the concept of what fuel does in the crankcase.
Why not explain then ;)

-a lot of cooling, mainly of the big end bearing.

On the other hand Ski-Doo seems to have solved that part of the puzzle as well with their E-tech's.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2011, 03:14:49 AM »
If we do get DI it will start with relatively low reving large capacity off road bikes first.

For once, I have to disagree with you. I think we will see it on the SMALLER engines first. The Lawn and Garden industries will be hit hardest with any change in the emissions laws as the marine and motorcycle industries have adapted to 4$ or DI already. 2T motorcycles in the first world countries are a very small percentage and would not put up much of a fight if they were legislated away. However, in the third world (or more PC: Developing Nations), the small bore 2T is the predominant form of transportation and a large contributor to the emissions pollution. That is where DI will have the biggest effect.

Yes, there are engineering challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome. Only the cost/desire limit it.

2TInstitute: You answered your own question.
On the other hand Ski-Doo seems to have solved that part of the puzzle as well with their E-tech's.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

For once, I have to disagree with you. I think we will see it on the SMALLER engines first. The Lawn and Garden industries will be hit hardest with any change in the emissions laws as the marine and motorcycle industries have adapted to 4$ or DI already. 2T motorcycles in the first world countries are a very small percentage and would not put up much of a fight if they were legislated away. However, in the third world (or more PC: Developing Nations), the small bore 2T is the predominant form of transportation and a large contributor to the emissions pollution. That is where DI will have the biggest effect.
For the two-stroke in the developing nations, it's already there. -Google "Envirofit two-stroke". Otherwise I agree with the quote from TMKIWI above.
Yes, there are engineering challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome. Only the cost/desire limit it.

2TInstitute: You answered your own question.
I don't think 2TI want to be linked to that quote, if for noting else, my less than perfect English :P