Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The MX Media Hustle, The Soft Sell Technique, and the Hidden Agenda...  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
Hello!,

I recently found a WEALTH of great SX races on YouTube! I'll be posting a bunch of them here at the forum when I'm done with this post, but I wanted to put this up first because I was in stitches laughing at this stupid shit while enjoying all the great footage of Ricky, Chad, and some other greats like Hamblin! Lot's of fun!

But anyway, to the point! I could not help noticing the VERY heavy pro-4Stroke spin dripping off nearly every second of the programming... I wrote down most of the places in the video where I noticed a pronounced bias toward 4 stokes. These clowns are pretty slick and slimey, and the art of the spin is as much in what they don't say as what they do say, but in some places it's so blatant that you have to laugh. They're like buffoons on some dealership floor.

Check out how many times they praise the 4 Strokes, and completely ignore the 2 Strokes, no matter what kind of smack down they're putting on the field. There are SO many examples of it in just this short piece of video!

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS BULLSHIT:

What kind of corporately leashed goons do we have feeding us this bullshit river?

1. First of all, it's very interesting that ALMOST NOTHING that anyone does on a 2 stroke earns a mention of THE BIKE.... Yes, they blabber on and on about Chad and Ricky, (I mean how could they avoid doing THAT???) but, NOT ONCE do they name the BIKE Chad, Ricky, or any other 2 stroke rider is on....

If Ricky or Chad do something incredible and take the lead, for example, maybe the annoncer says something like "WOW! What an INCREDIBLE MOVE by Carmichael!" but any mention of his machine will be conspicuously absent. On the flipside, any mundane move by a 4 stroke rider seems to provoke the commentators to drape on all sorts of praise, and of course they also "Dutifully" recite the entire complete model name of whatever baby elephant the rider is suffering. "WOW!... Heath Voss just folded the kickstarter back out of his way on the BIG Yamaha YZF450!!!"

They carefully say things like "Honda C-R-F- 450 - R Four Stroke" and "Y-Z 450 - F Four Stroke" a few times.... but NOT ONE TIME do you hear anything like "Honda CR250R" or "Two Stroke" They never really acnowledge the 2 stroke bikes at all...

Does anyone else think it sounds weird? I think something was up, and I'm not afraid to say so. These assholes make it sound like the two stroke guys were doing well IN SPITE of their bikes, and anything that went well for a 4 stroke guy happened BECAUSE of his bike. It's fucked up and totally unbalanced.

2003 Dallas Supercross - Part 1 of 3

2. At 3:55 or thereabout - Ricky dusts off Heath Voss with ease going into the 1st turn, and the announcers go into some bullshit making it sound like Ricky was "Lucky" to come out in front of Voss.... Are you serious??? Of course they continue gushing about Voss, the 4 stroke rider, using the words "Big 450" and making references to all the horsepower the 4 stroke has as Charmichael buries the thing like a putrified baby elephant. They even make a nice little excuse for why the 4 stroke got dusted off, saying it was Charmichael's "Desire" that put him out front. Of course it WAS that, and his HONDA C-R- 250 - R Two Stroke ... Come on guys, they still have to pay you even if you name the bike, you just might not get the extra palm grease somebody must have been tossing around back then, that's all.... Why do you seem incapable of reciting the full model name of anything that's not a fart fifty? Seems a little fishy guys. What kind of cheese pile does a merchant have to drop to get an announce-a-tard to spin everything exactly as he's been instructed? Ahhhhh... Nothing like the smell of corporate slime....

3. At 5:00 or thereabout - Larry Ward, riding a Honda 4 stroke, gurgles lethargically into 3rd place, overtaking a guy on a yamaha who looks like he's on his sighting lap as he rolls the whoop section. The announcer's dutifully snap to attention and enthusiastically recite "Honda C - R - F - 4 - 40 - R" as they talk about the rider, and mention that he get's great starts. The whole time they are on the subject of this 4 stroke guy, both announce - a - tards have that sickening tone of fake enthusiasm that you sometimes hear from a drive through window attendant as they recite "The Specials..."

But then it get's BETTER!

At 5:09 - Clark Stiles, riding a Honda 4 Stroke, dumps the thing in a corner. After he drops a nut trying to get the thing stood up again without a chain hoist, he settles into the routine of trying to restart the baby elephant.

Nowadays, with the blessing of the 4 stroke era flatulating into it's second decade, the tv people have gotten a little more sophisticated. They all seem to know how to avoid showing the desperate struggle of a rider trying to restart a 4 stroke after a fall, a corner, or an incident of pulling the clutch in and having the thing just peter out when throttled off idle... But back when this was filmed, they didn't have that trick down good yet, so we see poor Clark kicking, and kicking, ..and kicking, ...and kicking, ..and .... kicking... We all know the sad sight of a poor 4 stroke rider trying to start his bike after a tip over... Quite often it's a desperate, sad, and  unrequited struggle that could tug some empathy from the hardest of men, kind of like an old person rocking on the bowl, trying to have a bowel movement.

They never do show him get the thing started but one of the announce - a - tards, desperate to keep talking about how 4 strokes rule and apparently thinking people are to stupid to notice the difference between a 2 and a 4 stroke, finally breaks in and says something like, "Clark Stiles # 47 on his Honda 250"....

Once again you have to ask, ARE THESE IDIOTS SERIOUS???  Anyone can see that the dead piece of shit on the track that can't be started is the much touted, raved about, Honda 4 stroke...

Do you guys think there is extreme bias present in the way these races are presented? I do!

Conspiracy.

Thanks,

Jim  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:22:30 AM by Suzuki TS250/185 »
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
I believe in conspiracy's.
Your right about biased commentating.

Did they not notice the two quickest guys were on 2/S's ?. :D
Both crashed and still one won.

2 years ago one of the Honda NZ riders ( can't remember if it was J McDonald or M Phillips ) only had to finish 5th or higher to win the MX champs.
He came off half way through the race and it took him about 90 seconds to get the bike going. ( He lost the championship ).
They actually disqualified him for going round the track the wrong way as he tried to bump start his bike back down the hill he crashed on.
How gutting must that be for a rider ? :(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
I just think it was the novelty of the big new 4 strokes, so the announcers felt compelled to say the whole CRF450R title. That race was from 2003 so the 4 strokes were still just cracking into SX.

It's crazy how much lighter and flickable those 250s looked than the 450s do nowadays at SX racing.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
I just think it was the novelty of the big new 4 strokes, so the announcers felt compelled to say the whole CRF450R title. That race was from 2003 so the 4 strokes were still just cracking into SX.

That's exactly what I was going to say. 4 strokes were fairly new to the pro racing scene then, that's why you see some smokers racing still. So they were a novelty like KTMGuy said.

I actually remember watching that race. I used to watch them all up until last year when we ditched our cable and now watch everything over the internet (pc hooked up to flat screen) or netflix, but you can never find the current races online.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Obviously the 2-strokes ran much better than the 4-chokes in that race! I really enjoyed watcing the 2-strokes kick a$$!!!The only part of the race that hurt me a little is when Kenny Bartrem's KTM broke in half!THAT SUCKS 4 US KTM FANS! :-[

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Was that about the same time David Pingree broke one in half too?

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
How fast and smooth was Reedy?!! Bailey's comments around 8.35 tell it straight