Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Steel sleeve for YZ 144?  (Read 7803 times)

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
Steel sleeve for YZ 144?
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
Hey I'm looking at 144ing my 08 YZ and have found a local engineering company that will do it with a sleeve, for cheap of course (can get the sleeve done, piston kit and modded power valve for less than just the plating) ;D

They make the sleeve in house as the after maket one's ports dont line up that well.

I'd like to know how a steel sleeve will perform vs replating, eg if the rings/topend will have a longer service life,  is there any real benefit to go for plating for just an average rider?

If anyone can point me in the direction on some good info on sleeve vs plating that would be sweet!

Cheers

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Steel sleeve for YZ 144?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
Plating is the best way to go.
But if your just playing a sleeve will do the job just as well
If you can get the job done cheap ( hopefully only cheap in price not cheap in quality ) then go for it. :)
And have fun on the little rocket. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »
Nice thing about a sleeve is you can have it bored oversize and then when your at the max limit get it plated back to size
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Nice thing about a sleeve is you can have it bored oversize and then when your at the max limit get it plated back to size

Sleeve's are steel, and plating is a process for aluminum. Here is an interesting article, but it is definitely pro-sleeve:

Cylinder Plating VS Cylinder Sleeves
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »
Steel can be plated also
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
True that it can be, but it is very problematic. I have talked with Ken at Millennium Technologies and he told me has never seen done, but knows US Chrome can do it. So it is not something I would recommend. Not that I am any kind of expert, LOL. But when I offer help to some in a post, if I wouldn't do it myself, I try not to recommend it.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
You piqued my interest with this topic so I also just shared an email with Kurt at US Chrome. Here is his response:

"Hi Mike.  Yes, we can plate onto steel sleeves.  The difference is that we cannot repair heavy damage on a sleeve prior to plating.  Cost is the same as an all aluminum cylinder.  Give me a call for details if you want to discuss further. 

Thanks ~ Kurt"

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
Hey I'm looking at 144ing my 08 YZ and have found a local engineering company that will do it with a sleeve, for cheap of course (can get the sleeve done, piston kit and modded power valve for less than just the plating) ;D

They make the sleeve in house as the after maket one's ports dont line up that well.

I'd like to know how a steel sleeve will perform vs replating, eg if the rings/topend will have a longer service life,  is there any real benefit to go for plating for just an average rider?

If anyone can point me in the direction on some good info on sleeve vs plating that would be sweet!

Cheers

This along with welding cranks is without a doubt is one of the all time biggest bodges ever :-[. Do not do it , not only will it cost more than plating everytime the engine gets hot it will ping it's head off. I have even seen where people pay more to do this than buying a good second hand cylinder.
A homogenous cylinder will transfer heat far better, a sleeve never has as good heat transfer a solid material whatever the material.
So this will cost the same as plating and decrease performance. Sounds great.

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
I've had my KTM sx 144 sleeved because it's problematic to get it replated where I live (would have to ship it abroad etc...) and because it's cheaper. Can't say I was disappointed. As long as the job is done right and you are a beginner (or maybe even an intermediate rider) I think sleeves are OK :).

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »
Cool, thanks for your inputs.

Ok if I can find a shot cylinder ( not keen on doing it to my good one) then I'll give it a go.
failing that, then will just get the Athena kit.