Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: how to adjust fuel level on 04 yz125  (Read 10561 times)

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
how to adjust fuel level on 04 yz125
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
I have an 04 yz125.  When i turn the fuel on gas will start pouring out the overflow tube after about 10 seconds.  I first thought that the carbs had junk in them so i cleaned them out really good.  After that it still came flowing out when i turned the gas on.  So im pretty sure i need to adjust the fuel level.  Is their any other way to do this with out ordering the kit.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: how to adjust fuel level on 04 yz125
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
Make sure your float is moving up and down and is not stuck - may not be the level as such, but your needle and seat may not be closing up for whatever reason. Give the carb a good whack and see if it stops.

On my RGV one of the needles was sticking and after you turned the tap on the fuel was pissing out everywhere. So I guess drop the bowl and make sure the float moves easily. Seem to recall a viton o-ring in there too, (Last time I tried to fix a carb was about 3 years ago) so if there is one in the seat make sure it is intact and not split or perished.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
I'm not sure I know what kit you mean, do you mean a jet kit? That certainly is not necessary to set the float level. Take the bowl off, turn the carb at about a 45 degree angle, so the float tang "just" touches the float valve pin but doesn't compress it at all. The manual should have the proper float level. I just did a quick search and found a thread on thumpertalk and they said between 9-10mm for that year YZ125.

If you have the floats adjusted correctly or slightly above standard and it still leaks fuel, your float valve is probably worn. They have a rubber like tip that gets worn over time. Any groove or nick in that float valve and it won't seal correctly.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »
It wasnt a jet kit, i saw in the manual their is a kit that attaches to the bottom of the bowl that you use to adjust the fuel level.  I will try your method and see what happens.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:40:33 AM »
I just always use some cheapo dial calipers I've had for years. I think you will be fine measuring them that way and not buying their expensive kit.

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:43:14 AM »
Yea when i get a chance later i will try that method. 

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Good news i didnt have to adjust the fuel level.  I gave the carb a good whack like msmola2002 said to and it stopped pouring gas out of the overflow tube. Now im ready to sell it and get a 05-07 yz250.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Good news i didnt have to adjust the fuel level.  I gave the carb a good whack like msmola2002 said to and it stopped pouring gas out of the overflow tube. Now im ready to sell it and get a 05-07 yz250.

Awesome, the old stuck float problem. Easy fix, I like those  :) .

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
yea thats working fine now but im having another problem.    The cylinder had corrosion on top of the cylinder do to too much gas getting in cause the reeds were bad, so i sent it off to millenium technologies a while ago to get it, i put a new top end in it, boyseen super stock reeds, and a new air filter.  When i start the bike its running like its getting too much air.  When its just idling ill twist the throttle and it bogs.  But when im riding the bike it doesnt bog.  I checked over the bike to make sure their were no areas where it was getting too much air.  I do not have any answers for why it is doing this.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
The cylinder had corrosion on top of the cylinder do to too much gas getting in cause the reeds were bad,

How?
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »
I'm not sure if I agree with your too much fuel=corrosion diagnosis, but if you suspect an air leak around the carb do this. Take some starting fluid and while the bike is idling spray the carb boots and around the reed block. If the idle picks ups air is getting in there. If the head was leaking you would see coolant dribbling out and your compression would suffer.

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »
Getting to much gas wasnt the reason it corroded, I didnt mean to say that.  Millenium technologies fixed the corrosion on the cylinder.  They told me the bike was either running lean or the the guy i bought it from was running it with low octane.  We were pretty sure the bike was running lean.  The guy who had it before me ran it with 93 octane.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
It may be time to replace the float needle and seat assembly rather then trying to adjust the float height to compensate for wear.