Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Fun Sunday at Dade City with 81 YZ 465  (Read 2352 times)

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
Fun Sunday at Dade City with 81 YZ 465
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
This year to help racers save money and keep racing The Florida Motocross series split into North and South with a double point shoot out at the end. So instead of running 15 races you can run 7 and if you want to run them all there will be special awards for that. So we decided to run the north series along with a few south races.
 Well, this sunday we ran our second race of the series. And lots of two strokes the turn out was so so but the weather was great. I had changed the gearing on Jakes bike to get better starts and more oomph on the jumps. The first moto Jake got a bad start he said the gate jumped so he was last into the first turn. He rode very hard and made it up to 3rd by lap two or three but fell back to 4th ahead of the series leader. Second moto Jake wheeled out of the gate and almost flipped, last place into first turn again worked up to 3rd again and fell back to 5th so he finshed 5th overall.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:13:16 PM by luthier269 »
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Sunday at Dade City
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
Now for the real fun. There was a rider there from back in my days. His name is Tim Ealy and he rode in the 50+ class about 11 riders including Plus 40, Plus 40c ,450 Beg. Tim is 51 years old and was one of the best riders in the 70's and 80's around Florida he was a competitor to Kenny Keylon and Steve Martin both former factory Honda riders. The real kicker was he was on a very nice 1981 YZ465. Most of the other riders were on newer 450 4 strokes. Tim was 3rd on the start but came upon the sandy whoop section and just ran away from the rest of the 450's and was in first place and pulling away. Then it started making a funny noise that sounded to me like a blown head gasket. So he pulled into the pits he lost a nut on the head. To bad I wanted to see him win, here are a few pics.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:41:23 PM by luthier269 »

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
one more

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
Bummer about Jake. Sounds like he could have won with the right start. Thats a nice YZ there!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
Bummer about the starts.

Nice YZ. My favorite colour too.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »
Too bad about the starts, sounds like he had the speed to win.

How cool would it have been if that 465 beat all the 450's LOL.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
That is one of my all-time favorite YZ's.  I was 16 when it came out and only about 130 lbs, so I had the 125 version with the radiator behind the front number plate.  It was a very fast 125, but as soon as I hit any bumps the RM's with the new Full Floater rear suspension just walked away from me!!

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Sunday at Dade City with 81 YZ 465
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
By the way Tim raced the second moto with his aluminum frame YZ250 cause he did'nt want to hurt the 465 and won the second moto against mostly 450's