Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Restore my bike or get a newer one?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
Restore my bike or get a newer one?
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:03:42 AM »
Hey guys, I've been trying to make a decision whether I should restore my 01 yz125 and make it a mean racing machine, or buy a newer 09+ KTM 125???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »
i would go for a newer one , if your YZ was 06 i would say restore it .

the KTM is very good

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
If possible keep the YZ and get a newer one too, you can never have too many bikes  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
Yeah if possible buy another YZ , a  125 rider should have a practice bike , a spare.  Then you have spare wheels  and less  tire changing, and more riding time. 

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
i would go for a newer one , if your YZ was 06 i would say restore it .

the KTM is very good

This. Whether the blue fans like it or not, KTM owns the two stroke motocross market. TM and Husky are possible challengers, but how often do you see them at the track? Or the dealership? It would be impossible to find a second hand TM and even if you could the KTM is still better IMHO. The Huskies are fantastic bikes but they give up solid horsepower and, from MXAs viewpoint, handling to the KTM.

I would run the KTM without a second thought.

If possible keep the YZ and get a newer one too, you can never have too many bikes  ;D

This also. YZs are still the ducks nuts in my opinion, I love my 01 250. Keep it if you can.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »
Sounds like you dig your yz, you could get a newer used yz and make that your race bike. The newer yz,s have great forks, basically the same layout as a 97 yz. Which isn,t a bad thing, riders qualified for nationals on stock 97-2003 yz,s.  I wouldn,t get a ktm, don,t believe the hype. Just because they change some stuff on new models, that,s just a marketing gimmick.  The ktm doesn,t handle very good, it limits you as your riding skills advance.  The yz handles good  and as your skills advance, the yz will let you push harder.  It,s no secret if you want the best handling bike every made, you get a 04-07 cr125, but the used ones sell fast and for alot more than other bikes. A ktm mechanic yesterday, said I  could sell my 06 for around 3,500 or more.

Offline marc.winder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
Depending on finances I would try and keep the YZ and buy a new KTM. You're not going to get much on the used bike market for it any way so buy the KTM and slowing, when funds permit, retore the YZ for fun.

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
I think I might go with the restoration because I don't think I have the budget to buy a new KTM.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
logan remember your bike is only as competitive as you are, within reason. good luck with your restoration.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
Sounds like you dig your yz, you could get a newer used yz and make that your race bike. The newer yz,s have great forks, basically the same layout as a 97 yz. Which isn,t a bad thing, riders qualified for nationals on stock 97-2003 yz,s.  I wouldn,t get a ktm, don,t believe the hype. Just because they change some stuff on new models, that,s just a marketing gimmick.  The ktm doesn,t handle very good, it limits you as your riding skills advance.  The yz handles good  and as your skills advance, the yz will let you push harder.  It,s no secret if you want the best handling bike every made, you get a 04-07 cr125, but the used ones sell fast and for alot more than other bikes. A ktm mechanic yesterday, said I  could sell my 06 for around 3,500 or more.

Rubbish. I don't know what KTM you've been riding but the 125/150 sxs from 2009 onwards handle brilliantly. Especially the 2011 onwards model when the redesigned the frame.

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:55 AM »

Rubbish. I don't know what KTM you've been riding but the 125/150 sxs from 2009 onwards handle brilliantly. Especially the 2011 onwards model when the redesigned the frame.

+1 on that love the handling of the KTM's

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »
Can't comment on the yz because I have never ridden a pre 06 model but I do know I love my ktm. I went from an 07 rm 250 which is renowned for it's handling and I rate the ktm chassis above the rm. I think ktm gets a bad rap on its handling but that comes down to usually soft suspension. Also they rode a ktm in 2003 and base their opinion on that, not taking into account ktm 's regular improvements. The right springs and possibly a revalve and you will be happy. Throw in brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and a strong motor and the ktm is a very good bike. Also have you considered a 150? Feels like a 125 with a factory motor.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
Can't comment on the yz because I have never ridden a pre 06 model but I do know I love my ktm. I went from an 07 rm 250 which is renowned for it's handling and I rate the ktm chassis above the rm. I think ktm gets a bad rap on its handling but that comes down to usually soft suspension. Also they rode a ktm in 2003 and base their opinion on that, not taking into account ktm 's regular improvements. The right springs and possibly a revalve and you will be happy. Throw in brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and a strong motor and the ktm is a very good bike. Also have you considered a 150? Feels like a 125 with a factory motor.

2013 is the year that KTM started specing their two strokes with American spec spring rates. Before that it was all euro style: Soft in the front and stiff in the rear. So testers who use stock and stock only will typically bo it out. Of course they will. Soft in the front and stiff in the rear means diving (especially with that brembo and 260 mm  :o) and all sorts of handling issues.

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »

2013 is the year that KTM started specing their two strokes with American spec spring rates. Before that it was all euro style: Soft in the front and stiff in the rear. So testers who use stock and stock only will typically bo it out. Of course they will. Soft in the front and stiff in the rear means diving (especially with that brembo and 260 mm  :o) and all sorts of handling issues.

When I first got my ktm I had issues with the front end being too soft. Sent it to my mechanic with some heavier springs, it came back with a full revalveand they are pretty damn good. All I have done in the rear is played with some clickers and I am pretty happy with it, it does kick around on braking bumps so I need to take some rebound out but it's pretty close

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »

When I first got my ktm I had issues with the front end being too soft. Sent it to my mechanic with some heavier springs, it came back with a full revalveand they are pretty damn good. All I have done in the rear is played with some clickers and I am pretty happy with it, it does kick around on braking bumps so I need to take some rebound out but it's pretty close

Thats lucky that the rear spring rate was good for you. How heavy are you when geared up?