Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2014 Maico's  (Read 7209 times)

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
In all seriousness, the "Maico" name, in the last 20 years has become the butt of all jokes in the modern scene. This guy would nave been better off releasing the bike under a new name. Or release new 1981 490's to the vintage market, he'd have better chance of business success.
2013 models are listed for sale in Aus....at $16000, thanks, but no thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
2014 Maico's
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
There in lays the problem, $16000 for a bike with 1990's technology...the company will never grow.

Define 1990s technology.

I don't see much difference between the 1990 YZ I have in my garage now and the 2008 KTM I had in a few months prior.

Only minor tuning to the engine and suspension has occurred over the last 20 years.

Tell me one thing that modern bikes now have as opposed to the bikes of the 90`s.

BTW I'm not saying my 1990 is as good as a 2013 but just that tech wise there is no difference.

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''s
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
There in lays the problem, $16000 for a bike with 1990's technology...the company will never grow.

Define 1990s technology.

I don't see much difference between the 1990 YZ I have in my garage now and the 2008 KTM I had in a few months prior.

Only minor tuning to the engine and suspension has occurred over the last 20 years.

Tell me one thing that modern bikes now have as opposed to the bikes of the 90`s.

BTW I'm not saying my 1990 is as good as a 2013 but just that tech wise there is no difference.

Harley been flogging 1950 tech as 2013 , they seam to do ok well the morons that buy them think so  ;D ;D :P :P

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
2014 Maico''''s
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »

Define 1990s technology.

Harley been flogging 1950 tech as 2013 , they seam to do ok well the morons that buy them think so  ;D ;D :P :P
Ha yeah. In fact Honda are doing a similar thing with those derestricted xr400s they sell.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''s
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »

Plastic composite subframes.
Alloy frames.
Fuel injection.
Electric start.
Hydrolic clutches.
Adjustable powervalves.
Computer tunable.
MASSIVE jumps in suspension tech.
Current styling.

What has Maico done since 1998, besides an alloy tank and different swingarm?
It still has 1996 YZ plastics.
I come from an era when Maico was the choice of the privateer, and have owned and raced a '81 250 and 83 and 84 500's, so I have a soft spot for the old Maico's, but what has happened since has tainted the once great name.
Lets compare the two old school manufacturers who are making a comeback in the small two stroke market
Maico and Ossa.
Ossa have a bike that looks shit hot(half the sales battle is won), has a number of new and innovative designs, a engine capicity that is in right now and has the worldwide press buzzing.
Maico has a rehashed 1998 model, looks to match, no innovation, a price thats off the planet, two out of three capacities that no one would seriously race or be allowed to, with a release only to a small online two stroke website.
Good luck to 'em, they're going to need it.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
2014 Maico''''''''''''''''s
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
I can assure they are not going to be $16k... And nobody has seen the new models, so how and why judge?
If you don't like them when they are released, you don't have to buy one.
We should be happy there is another 2T option coming back around.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
I can assure they are not going to be $16k... And nobody has seen the new models, so how and why judge?

Agreed,but the skepticism is understandable.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »

Do you have any idea if they are likely to release a 125? If they are then I might break this yz project for parts and save for one of them but if theyr not then I might aswell start ordering parts for the yz.

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
please point me to the 16k price, where is it listed?

I have had extensive contact with Vincent as well, very trustworthy fellow... he has been mum on all these bikes and has yet to comment on the 125. Price point will have to be comparable to what is out there already or whatever gets made will sit and he knows that... the bikes in the pics are older bikes with the AL tank/CRF shrouds and updated swingarm... the old swingarm is super heavy. The new bikes should be a lot different.

The wait has been long with lots of mockery, kind of funny from people that don't buy new two strokes anyway and ride old models... I am looking forward to these bikes.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
2014 Maico's
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

We are in a 'pro' 2 stroke Forum.

With, I'd say, quite a few older  blokes that have either owned Maicos, or competed against them. I, and I'm sure a few others here, can tick both boxes.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of this site, by the way.

We 'pro' 2 stroke riders / owners / enthusiasts, have been served up a serious amount of 'stories', if not to say BS, with regards to Maico International, and their 'coming bikes', over the last few years. A large amount of 'goodwill' has been used up.

Many of us have seen that it's been held up by legal matters - but with so much I've read, they were legal matters that could have been avoided. By doing things right, and 'due diligence' on part of people making claims to ownership. All while making big claims as to 'innovations'.

So, many stand back now, with a heavy load of skepticism, BUT, a hell of a lot of hope.

So, please keep us informed of progress Charles - keeping things to yourself, will do no one any good - agreed to 'embargoes' are perfectly understandable / legitimate things you Have to honour, of course. Make sure you reveal any 'obligations' you may have to Maico International - such as the aforementioned information embargo dates, AND any 'perks' you are given, such as free travel to an event. A good journalist / site owner Should be up front and provide full disclosure of such things, to maintain their credibility. I apologize in advance, if this offends - I'd hope, it comes under the old saw of "teach your Grandma to suck eggs". Which I tend to use on fools, know-alls and BS artists.

As I've written all along - I await Maicos re-emergence, over and above the small 'production' done by others such as Koestler (sp?)

I really hope this is not another disappointment in the making.

I wish Maico International well, and hope that the BS has stopped. Please keep us Accurately Informed, Charles.

There are a fair few wankers who joyously knock OSSA - but, they've got into production, with Entirely New Bikes, in record time - selling their Trials Bikes and the Explorer. The Enduro, is, so far, only a few months behind the initial debut date - down to have been for Feb /March 2013, from the very get go. People seem illiterate, when it comes to the original time frame given. The last I read, limited production is a few months behind.

I see delays in the OSSA Enduro, being more due to OSSA having to concentrate on their Trials and Explorer production - money makers that they need to meet the demand for, and not restrict production of to get the Enduro bikes out. I'd not be surprised to see some further delay to the Enduro bike release - due to production limitations.   But that economic reality, would seem to be something beyond most peoples understanding, too. Blokes like Chilly, thinking they are 'clever' in knocking OSSA, whilst not seeming to see their success in starting back up, and getting modern 2ts made, and Sold. And, they are EFI - something that many, seem to still think "can't ever work" - Absolute F***ing Drongos. It's funny - I don't seem to see Chilly getting stuck into KTM for just sitting on their arses and pumping out basically the same 2 2t engine modules, since around 1997 /98. But, it has to be acknowledged, that KTM Have said All Along, that their 'new 2ts', would not appear before they Have to appear, to meet regulations. I hope, they'll appear a bit earlier than that, due to competition from other new 2ts, that take sales from them

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2014 Maico''s
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »

We are in a 'pro' 2 stroke Forum.

With, I'd say, quite a few older  blokes that have either owned Maicos, or competed against them. I, and I'm sure a few others here, can tick both boxes.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of this site, by the way.

We 'pro' 2 stroke riders / owners / enthusiasts, have been served up a serious amount of 'stories', if not to say BS, with regards to Maico International, and their 'coming bikes', over the last few years. A large amount of 'goodwill' has been used up.

Many of us have seen that it's been held up by legal matters - but with so much I've read, they were legal matters that could have been avoided. By doing things right, and 'due diligence' on part of people making claims to ownership. All while making big claims as to 'innovations'.

So, many stand back now, with a heavy load of skepticism, BUT, a hell of a lot of hope.

So, please keep us informed of progress Charles - keeping things to yourself, will do no one any good - agreed to 'embargoes' are perfectly understandable / legitimate things you Have to honour, of course. Make sure you reveal any 'obligations' you may have to Maico International - such as the aforementioned information embargo dates, AND any 'perks' you are given, such as free travel to an event. A good journalist / site owner Should be up front and provide full disclosure of such things, to maintain their credibility. I apologize in advance, if this offends - I'd hope, it comes under the old saw of "teach your Grandma to suck eggs". Which I tend to use on fools, know-alls and BS artists.

As I've written all along - I await Maicos re-emergence, over and above the small 'production' done by others such as Koestler (sp?)

I really hope this is not another disappointment in the making.

I wish Maico International well, and hope that the BS has stopped. Please keep us Accurately Informed, Charles.

There are a fair few wankers who joyously knock OSSA - but, they've got into production, with Entirely New Bikes, in record time - selling their Trials Bikes and the Explorer. The Enduro, is, so far, only a few months behind the initial debut date - down to have been for Feb /March 2013, from the very get go. People seem illiterate, when it comes to the original time frame given. The last I read, limited production is a few months behind.

I see delays in the OSSA Enduro, being more due to OSSA having to concentrate on their Trials and Explorer production - money makers that they need to meet the demand for, and not restrict production of to get the Enduro bikes out. I'd not be surprised to see some further delay to the Enduro bike release - due to production limitations.   But that economic reality, would seem to be something beyond most peoples understanding, too. Blokes like Chilly, thinking they are 'clever' in knocking OSSA, whilst not seeming to see their success in starting back up, and getting modern 2ts made, and Sold. And, they are EFI - something that many, seem to still think "can't ever work" - Absolute F***ing Drongos. It's funny - I don't seem to see Chilly getting stuck into KTM for just sitting on their arses and pumping out basically the same 2 2t engine modules, since around 1997 /98. But, it has to be acknowledged, that KTM Have said All Along, that their 'new 2ts', would not appear before they Have to appear, to meet regulations. I hope, they'll appear a bit earlier than that, due to competition from other new 2ts, that take sales from them

Well put. Especially the bit about EFI on two strokes. Only people who say it can't work have absolutely no idea how either four or two stroke engines work. Uniflow did it on an old kwaka big horn and he to the best of my knowledge isn't operating on million dollar budgets :D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''s
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Hey Evo I hear what you are saying and don't disagree in principal. What is the reality however? Supercross and 4T marketing hype have given us the CR450f (for example), an expensive, ill handling and maintenance intensive motocross machine that I see collecting dust at the local dealership. The marketing geniuses have succeeded in pushing the sport in a direction that is killing it.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''s
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
ill handling? really?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''''''''''s
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
Hey Evo I hear what you are saying and don't disagree in principal. What is the reality however? Supercross and 4T marketing hype have given us the CR450f (for example), an expensive, ill handling and maintenance intensive motocross machine that I see collecting dust at the local dealership. The marketing geniuses have succeeded in pushing the sport in a direction that is killing it.

Youre dead right, marketing along with high profile race victories sell bikes. Maico has neither of these (at least not in the last 35/40 yrs  :D ) Unfortunately all Japanese companies and KTM do.
Trying to compete head to head with this is almost suicide, unless you have backing of another manufacturer (BMW or the like).
Unfortunately the more times a Maico resurrection flops, the more Maico becomes know as a flop, and less as the bikes that where years ahead of their time, as they should be remembered.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
2014 Maico''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
ill handling? really?
That's an old timer speak for "That handling is sick" ;)