Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: ATK Intimidator 700/ 620  (Read 5422 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
ATK Intimidator 700/ 620
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
685cc @ 238lbs.... Another one we can compare to the Maico 700..

www.atkusa.com

click on the link under the bike to get the PDF.. The pdf link won't work here..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:30:52 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: ATK Intimidator 700/ 620
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
In terms of power, it's exactly like a Maico, because they use Maico engines.  It'd be interesting to see if their frame geometry and such works better, though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:33:44 PM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
It IS a Maico. My bike came through ATK. They change the graphics, before 2005 they put USD forks on them. Other than my bike, I don't know if they have ever sold one.

My brothers bike came from Germany to Yakima. My friends 2003 came out of some small dealer in Vanita Oregon. There was also a 2004 that came out of Venita as well.

Make no mistake they are Maico's. The bike they call a 700 is the 685. They just call it a 700.

Offline crash796

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Looking around on the ATK website I noticed that they must have bought the rights to that old Cannondale that came out around 2000. The magazines hyped it all up and when it was released it turned out to be an overpriced underpowered turd. Why in the world would ATK want to put there name on that thing? Unless they somehow fixed all the problems that they had with it.

Recovered

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:55:03 PM »
Looking around on the ATK website I noticed that they must have bought the rights to that old Cannondale that came out around 2000. The magazines hyped it all up and when it was released it turned out to be an overpriced underpowered turd. Why in the world would ATK want to put there name on that thing? Unless they somehow fixed all the problems that they had with it.

There's many things that were going on at ATK. I heard (rumor only) that they lost the contract they had with Rotax, who was supplying 2T engines for them. And they were looking to increase market share and Cannondale was losing money faster than it could be printed (I won't go into that history). ATK bought out some parts of the Cannondale stuff (I don't think they bought the shop equipment but I could be wrong on that), then set out to correct the crank and EFI issues that were causing problems. I think they have got those things ironed out. I don't remember the comic books hyping the Cannondale. They may have had some teases on the cover to get you to buy the mag, but they hammered the bike. Part of it was CD's problem. They didn't het the bugs worked out before letting an already biased media have a shot at the bike. And because of AMA's criminal rules package, CD was forced to go to market (that and CD was spending money like water) w/o the benefit of national event testing although I do sort of remember CD paying the homologation fees.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
The ATK 620 & 700 Intimidator is just the Maico enduro models with the 18"rear wheel and the SEM ignition.

Recovered

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
You can also get them as MX versions if you ask ATK for what you want. But at this point, even though they are on the ATK website, I'm not too sure they can get them.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »
I believe you're right on the ATK?Cannondale thing MS,but as for the magazines,it was either Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider who officially had it on the cover of their mag as "bike of the year" before they'd even ridden it.Once they did,and took all the heat for what it turned it out to be,they hauled their heads out of their a$$es and tried to say they named it bike of the year for the innovative thinking and technology it represented that would further bike development across the board-lol.Thereafter,I never bought another of those magazines.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
Not positive about this, so it might be more urban legend or something.

The story as I remember it is that Cannondale had a big media ride day and all the magazines showed up. They had some issues with the bikes and told Cannondale, but here's were the story I heard gets sketchy.. Cannondale promised to address every single issue that the mags pointed out.

Did they show the updated new machine to the magazines??? This is part of what I don't recall...

But I guess Cannondale had already built the bikes at that point and released them, warts and all.

That's when the shit hit the fan!

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
this was the prototype

and my opinion it had a better design than the fin product

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
It looks like a Husaberg engine in that pic.If I remember correctly,Cdale was originally going to use a Swedish Folan engine(which has ties to Berg)before deciding to develop their own.