Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Any news from the new maicos?  (Read 6833 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Any news from the new maicos?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »
It might be slight legal trouble due to the lack of ownership on the name Maico.

This is not the problem...

I've been hanging back as I don't want to be stuck in the middle of anything... which is the reason I have not posted anything earlier.

Although Ford there is a ring of truth in what you say!  :P :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:00:08 PM by John Nicholas »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Good to hear from you John.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
Maico International is a small company with only a few employees.  Sometimes unexpected things occur that are not in plan and they have to deal with them. 

It is not cheap to do what they have been building and they have been spending a lot of time on it.   

One question I wanted to pose to everyone who always thinks that these bikes will never occur is why?  Do you believe them to be independently wealthly and "fun" to them would be spending tons of money and a lot of time into building bikes they never intended to sell as a joke?  Pretty expensive to be doing that let alone spending the time to do it.  I'm just curious on what the reasoning behind it would be?
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:52:23 PM »
Relax Toby, Maico are not beyond criticism.
Everyone has heard about the problems with getting the paper work done for the US.
But why please tell me have there been no bike tests done anywhere ?
There are alot of other countries in the world that love dirt bikes. The aussie mags are always doing tests on "the small guy's" bikes.
France, Germany,Holland ?
Why haven't they released bikes into these countries ?
Surely a test done by a French mag on one would get the American's all excited for when they arrive ?
If they are selling in other countries please let us know. But for all we know nothings happening.
The '10 didn't happen and we were told to wait 6 months ago that the '11's would be released in '11.
Well ?

This is not a dig at you, but guy's like myself and others are not going to get excited over empty promises.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks it's joke Toby, but it happened with Cannondale. Tons of hype, press releases, hell DirtRider named it "Bike of the Year" before a single model rolled off the line. All before the bikes were even ready. They went backrupt shortly after. You really shouldn't hype a product up, do "press releases", make announcements, etc. like they Maico was last year until you have bikes ready to sell to the customers you are targeting. I know they are hoping to build a fan base and have potential buyers ready. But you can't do that without actually having bikes to show people.

Having said that I harbor no ill feelings towards Maico and would love to see new models for sale here. But like Kiwi says, people need to see actual bikes, not promises that they are working on it.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
I think the "hype" may have to do with attracting investors.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »
Sorry guys, I wasn't on the offensive, I was just posing a serious question.  Since it seemed that even before 2011, in the middle of 2010 even, there was skeptisim about the bikes being released or not, I was just wondering what the reasoning behind that thinking was.

The 2009's were released and there are several for sale around the globe.  Not sure about the 2010, however I know why they possibly weren't and its no fault of Maico International aside from that there wasn't a distributor in US at that time.

Unexpected misfortune again as 2011's are delayed. 

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
BTW, what is cannondale? They look like a bicycle manufacturer.  They made a few 4 strokes.

2003 Cannondale E440 Walk around

What bike wasn't released?  They appear to have created E440 and MX400's

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »
They certainly were released though it was before they were ready.They were an overweight,underpowered,overheating,ill handling,poorly designed roach.Some of their ideas had merit,some made you sit back and think "wtf were you thinking?"others defied the laws of physics and mechanical theory.However,they were a long and anxiously awaited bike with lots of blingy goodies that was going to be a leap forward in dirt bike design.I think the last line somewhat explains the Maico skepticism.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CC8QtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBz61YQWZuYU&rct=j&q=great%20white%20%22twice%20shy%22&ei=2GNeTZWgB8b_lgeR15nWCw&usg=AFQjCNFcYSDTN-2bKCN-HijQUXYFztj5xw&sig2=7tbq1yTQ0V6QdfbY9o8lLQ&cad=rja
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:24:14 AM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »
Had Cannondale retained the Folan motor or maybe even Yamaha powerplants they may well have remained in the business of building motorcycles.Instead they went broke trying to make something entirely new.I've seen Cannondales and say what you will but they had quality components and were well made.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
The 2010's M.I.'s were pretty much already in production for 10 years, I have one :)  They were Koeslter built Maicos (which you can get 2011's right now if you want) just replaced some of the components to upgrade the frame and new graphics.  Engine was around for a long time, nothing changed with it.  Not to little what they did as they did put a lot of work and money behind those new components, but the base bike existed and still exists so I don't think it's as far out there as cannondale was for the 2010 :)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
So why is it that people say Maico's from the last 10 yrs are as good as anything and thoroughly modern and yet rag on the YZ's as being "old technology" Me no understand :-\
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »
The base Maico's are as good as Japanese or KTM models, my 2004 Maico is like a new KTM 300 handling wise, suspension is great. 

Maico International is taking this a step further and reducing the weight, putting even further upgrades on the frame and handling. In 2011, they are making improvements to the engine which has not been modified for a long time (at least by Koestler's base).

Zabel on the other hand has been using the same base design, however they have continously been improving the engine.  Zabel engines (which are Maicos at the core) are also direct bolt ons to the Koestler frames, so you can always get a brand new motor which has been improved if you want.

One thing to note is that the Maico engine to start with is far superior to any of the current engines on the market out of the gate IMHO, so anything more is just cherries on top.  They have a good balance and the ability to make a lot of Horse Power easy to use and control with a predicble engine. 

There was a guy with a 2004 YZ 250, I let him ride my 1983 Maico 490 and he said (and I've gotten these same remarks from others) paraphrasing "That engine is awesome.  It just pulls from the bottom end so smooth its easy to ride, like a 4 stroke. The power is controllable and very predictible.  But like a 2 stroke you hit it down and you can just really dissopear if you want to!  You can wheelie all day on that thing!  That engine is great.  I was surprised though because you can't stop there's no brakes!  Luckily that thing has a lot of engine braking!"

And this is the first year of that engine, air cooled, no power valve and 10cc short of what it is now. 

That's the Maico, they were able to deliver the power in an easy to use package.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
Maico should open a factory in the old china- southeast USA. Fighting over the Maico name, change it to MAICOE,there problem solved. ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Sorry guys, I wasn't on the offensive, I was just posing a serious question.  Since it seemed that even before 2011, in the middle of 2010 even, there was skeptisim about the bikes being released or not, I was just wondering what the reasoning behind that thinking was.

The 2009's were released and there are several for sale around the globe.  Not sure about the 2010, however I know why they possibly weren't and its no fault of Maico International aside from that there wasn't a distributor in US at that time.

Unexpected misfortune again as 2011's are delayed. 

Is the delays because of paper work in the states or production based. ?
By the way I e-mailed the NZ distribiter listed on Maico's web site 2 months ago out of curiosity and got no reply. :(
All the delays just makes me have that sinking feeling.

If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough