Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Had to dump another 4 stroke  (Read 6279 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Had to dump another 4 stroke
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 05:13:46 AM »
I think people are discovering that the proper magical formula involves a certain amount of low- and top-end.  The smooth, torquey powerband was what you wanted back in the two-stroke days to really go fast, and now the four-strokers are finding that they've gone to far in that end, and they're starting to turn back.  In a few years, something incredible might happen.  The industry will actually figure out that, indeed, Maico had it right from day one.  The two-strokes trying to get more low-end, and the four-strokes trying to get more top-end, are gravitating in that direction.

Alright, now, who's ready to kill me?

I'm not following you?  I know that 2 strokes of 97 were a lot of low end and the one's of 2007 were all top end. When people re rode the 97 motors, they basically said, they didn't like them, and they liked the 2007ish type powerbands. So if you are saying the 4 strokes started like the 97ish with low end, and now are gravitating towards the 07ish type topend, I'd say I agree.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
IMO 4-strokes weren't meant to be lightweight, revved high, and ridden like a 2-stroke. But the factories have this stupid idea that they can produce a 4-stroke to run just like a 2-stroke and be just as light. They can, but all the moving parts get stressed (because the engine design wasn't meant to be run like that) and break too soon. There is no way to build a lightweight, high performance, reliable 4-stroke. There are other 4-strokes that I actually like, and are built the right way - XR200, 250, CRF230 (actually XR200 engine), and XR/ CRF50. These bikes are what 4-strokes were meant to do - put around, climb hills, do trials stuff, etc.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
believe it or not, a all around bike will sell more. Jetz is somewhat correct, what people want is a bike that has both top and bottom end power. Thats why everyone jump ship on the 4 strokes, when effectively all the new 4 stroke are doing, are imitating two strokes. EFI two strokes might be the answer, as it has power every where, Both a screaming top end, and stump pulling bottom end, which to me sounds like fun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:26:02 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
miedosoracing, 

what do you mean by putting blocks in to give the cr85 more lowend?  The reason I ask is, my son is on a '03 cr85 and just hasn't adapted well to the mid to high range that you have to ride the bike in.  I've considered sending the cylinder to Eric Gorr for his mod to increase the low end but I just haven't yet.

Thanks in advance.

Update on the mods.  I put the double reeds in like stated, got the low end I desired. I don't want it to rev, not sure if you just need more low end, or you want to kill the top end like mine.  I put a exhaust block between the cylinder and the pipe.  Basically just a thin washer that is the diameter that matches the port. I drilled the hole 5/8".  It now does what I want, it does not rev to the moon, but still has the low end. Basically, the exhaust block I made, is similar to a power valve that is stuck shut.  Thus, made for low end, but doesn't open up for top end.  If you have any questions, let me know. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!