Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: carb problems  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
carb problems
« on: May 08, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
hey guys so i just got back from alaska and my bike has been sitting for a couple months (2005 cr 125). i had my cousin come a ride it around for a little bit while i was gone. i went to start it yesterday and it wouldnt fire..i changed the plug and it still wouldnt go. i think he might have ran some bad gas in it because i blew into the over flow tubes and it started but was stuck wide open. im thinking maybe the floats are stuck open but im not a very good mechanic. what are your thoughts

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: carb problems
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
Check to make sure your carb slide is bottoming,sounds like you may have a frayed throttle cable. ;D

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
ok i have the bike torn down now..the carb looks fine but why would blowing in the over flow tubes make the bike start with a frayed throttle cable

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:31 AM »
you blew out water or gum that was blocking the passage ways. clean the jets, and the fuel valve out really good, then check that cable. On the pilot alot of times you'll have to take a piece of small wire like on from a wire brush, and push out whatever is blocking it up. I have had great success using CLR full strength to clean jets, just take a shot glass, pour in enough to cover the jets, drop in the jets and watch the lime instantly start floating off of them. it usually only takes about two minutes, rinse them dry them and reinstall them.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
so i cleaned the carb...all the jets seemed to be fine. now it will start without blowing into the overflow tubes but it still is stuck wide open. my throttle cable seems to be work just fine. anybody have any ideas?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »
Check the slide to make sure it isn't in backwards.Also check to make sure your reed boot,crank seals and cylinder base gasket are not leaking.

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »
hey so i have the bike torn down again...the float chamber gasket got messed up (most likely during reinstall)..the bike seemed to run smoother but still wide open after i cleaned everything. do you think i fixed the original problem and now it is the gasket that is the problem?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
Have you checked the slide is bottoming properly.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49:15 AM »
maybe, but it could also be all of the other things that were mentioned/
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Got the bike fixed yesterday with only a week to spare until i leave...thanks everyone

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
What was it ?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough