Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What to do you carry when trail riding?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline HCE

• Novice
    • View Profile
What to do you carry when trail riding?
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
Cleaned out the camelbak and  found three spark plugs, spark plug wrench, small flat screwdriver and a what I think used to be a snickers bar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
In a backpack, I usually bring metric sockets 8, 10, 12, and 14, wrenches to match those (basically to take apart most things that could break), extra plugs, VISE GRIPS, needle nose pliers, FOOD, water, a little extra coolant just in case, a machete, a GPS, and a phone. And fuel, but that all depends on how far I'm going into the woods. I try to keep it light enough not to affect my balance, but I'd also rather be over prepared than under prepared. Oh and I almost forgot, my helmet cam to record the ride, and you never know what your gunna find out there...

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
whiskey, cause it dosen't have to be cold in order to drink.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
Camelbak with water. Thats it.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
A camel back with flat blade, phillips screwdriver, spark plug/wrench, and trail map. But only on long rides(30 miles plus)

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline shanes

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
nothing the far side of mx track is never to far away from the car :-}}

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
Depends how far back in I plan to go. If I stay relatively close to the trail head just my camelbak. Other times; plug, plug wrench, front tube (can be used in rear in emergency), patch kit, 2 6" tire irons, mini bicycle pump that pumps in both directions, 8, 10, 12 wrenches, a t-handle that has 8,10,12 sockets on it, pliers, a crescent wrench for axle nuts, zip ties and duct tape. Sounds like a lot but it packs small.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »
....nothing, I just ride with someone else and hope they are sporting enough crap to get me out of trouble.

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
My rides where I take a pack is usually between 23 miles and 49 miles depending on which way I go.  I carry a camel back of water, extra plug, plug wrench, 8 and 10mm wrenches, trail maps with the coordinates of suitable air evac points penciled in.  On the longer rides I carry an MSR fuel bottle filled with fuel for the bike.  I don't bring food because I'm riding not picnicking and I don't bring alot of tools because if I need them the chances of me fixing on the trail are slim.  I do have a GPS mounted on my bars, I personally could get lost in my own yard, during daylight hours and my yard is only a couple acres.  I ride in a national forest and there are almost always a few types to be found who can help out. There types are as follows.

1. The Conestoga Wagon:  This guy has everything, spare plugs, tubes, a chain, water, fuel, duct tape, wrenches, sockets, pliers, screw drivers, enough food for an over-nighter,  a couple beers, tow strap, a sat phone, GPS, Emergency Beacon, road flares and I am probably leaving some of out.

2. UTV Drivers:  These guys love loading your bike into the back and strapping it efficiently in place.  They always have straps and also a system for making your bike fit.  They have done it before.  These guys love to help.  All they ask in return is a conversation on the way out about how much you can do with a UTV, how fun they are to drive.  They typically are looking for complements which show that they are accepted as equals by the bike and quad community.

3. Quad Guys: These guys can go alot of directions.  It can be someone enjoying the scenery on a utility quad.  Someone with a lifted quad, snorkel equipped, with tires the size of a top fuel dragster who enjoys floating his machine across bodies of water.  A GNCC type out there putting in training. The nuclear family on a variety of machine sizes.  Then you can also run into the more nefarious quad types, these guys usually have hunting boots and combination of old riding gear from the 1990's and civilian attire.  Their mounts can differ, but they are almost always clapped out, plastic stitched with zip ties, front fenders cut with a sawzall to make it look like a race quad.  They will generally be covered randomly in stickers they got for free with product purchases, promotion hand outs etc..  The best part is they will always help you.  Quad guys can find a way.  If they have to use their clothing combined with yours to produce a tow rope they will!

Offline Lolerbabop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
An RPG incase i come across a pack of carnivorous moose.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:45 AM »
Up until the last couple years,a camelbak with a 50/50 mix of water and powerade.Stuffed in with that,a pack of Canadian Classic King Size Silver and a bic lighter.The last couple years,just the water and powerade. :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline HCE

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:12 AM »
....nothing, I just ride with someone else and hope they are sporting enough crap to get me out of trouble.

I would say I am in this category.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »
2 beers, beef jerky and a 9mm with an extra clip...

Offline Lolerbabop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »
2 beers, beef jerky and a 9mm with an extra clip...
RPG's is where it's at!