Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Enlighten me please.  (Read 3000 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Enlighten me please.
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
Have been looking at bikes for sale again like most of us do.
I am after a pre '85 YZ250 for VMX.
Why is it that Hondas sell for up to twice as much as anything else ?
Eg: '84 YZ250 $2500 '84 CR250's $4-5k. :o
Even modern bikes 2000-2007 CR's sell for alot more then KX's,RM's, YZ's etc.
Is it because of the percieved better build/reliability ( like Toyota's) or just because Honda owners think the bikes are worth more.
Or is it a local thing down here. Do they sell for more in the States or Europe ?
I am not trying to knock Honda's, just trying to figure out why ?

Seriously not on a Honda bash. They have made good models and not so good.
So enlighten me. :D

If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: Enlighten me please.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
That is a topic up for debate, but many would say Honda is an icon for motocross. They are extremely common, there is no doubt about that.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
I have always been told: "Honda's have better resale value". I am never told why that is the case though. So people selling them ask more and people buying pay more. All for the name really. I like Honda's, I still have my first bike (1975 XR75 in the shed torn apart). I have owned 3-4 XR's and one CR. I had good luck with all of them. But there was nothing special to make them more expensive than any other brand I have owned  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
The 83/84 Honda CR250s have a defective head design and eventually blow head gaskets.The 85 Honda CR250 is more raked out then an old Husky desert sled and handles like a wheelbarrow.The 1986 thru 88 CR250s are gems however.

Why the demand for Hondas? Honda has a very good name but they have made their fair share of stinkers.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »
ya, not sure why an 84 would be selling so high, as sachs said they suck.  The 85 250s were also bad.  The 86-88 are good, but the real gem is the 87 and its hard to get parts for those ones even.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
I think CR's have always had an aura around them since the elsinores and then through the early 90's when they dominated so much. Having the likes of mcgrath, and johnson on them sure helped i think.
Ive still got a hotrod 94 250 that i'll never part with.

Offline skooli

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
In my experience, Hondas tend to last longer. I have owned dirt bikes of all brands since the 80s and Hondas seem to be the most reliable. I once rode my 2001 CR250R for 2 full race seasons without a top end re-build and the only went through 2 spark plugs. It never slowed down and never gave me any trouble. I had Suzukis and Kawasakis when I was younger and they seemed to need maintenance all the time. Fork seals, carb cleanings, spark plugs, top ends, you name it. This is just MY experience and others may have different points of view, but this is why I have ridden Hondas since the mid 90s.
2005 CR 250
2007 CRF450

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
Sure, hondas are reliable and have the rep for being reliable.  However, the first watercooled CRs starting in 81 were terrible, and even in the late 80s the water cooling rotted out.  The early part of the 80s produced either poor quality bikes that broke or bad performing bikes.  They went from the top, which was the red rocket (78 to 80) which is a good late 70s bike and very reliable and sought after (I used to have a 79 CR250) to crappy ones.  Actually, Hondas were bad with transmissions though, 2nd gear always seems to blow out even in the 70s bikes.  Blew 2nd gear out of my 79 CR125.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
I have a 1990 model CR250 for sale cheap, needs full resto
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »
The present day YZ250's have trany problems.
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games