Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Gimmicks  (Read 2367 times)

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Gimmicks
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:05:42 AM »
There seems to be a massive fascination currently with "gimmicks", and it seems to sell bikes. Fuel injection, different displacements, and the one that gets me, Yamaha's reverse cylinder, on the current generation four strokes. In 08 and 09, you didnt see many YZ 450's at the track, cos people had jumped on the fuel injected Suzi, then in 09, the KX and CRF. Now with the "AMAZING" reverse cylinder, and even though the new bike is 3kg heavier, you see new Yamaha's everywhere. It really makes me wonder, and most of the time, shake my head.

Just to give some inspiration to everyone here, I smoked a couple of fast guys riding brand new KTM 350s on the weekend. I went and spoke to both of them after one of the sessions, and it was quite a good chat. Both of these guys have spent HUGE amounts of money on their new bikes. Both still have 2010 450's sitting at home for sale, and they cant sell!!!! The amount of money these guys spend makes my head spin. My $5000 08 YZ 250 is the PERFECT bike, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, so much FUN to ride, and a great RACE weapon !!!! By the way, both those guys said they loved how good my 250 sounded wide open when I passed them !!

Also on the weekend something else brought a smile to my face. I was watching the lites practice, and saw guys coming out of the corner just in front of where i was parked, which was a fairly deep loamy rutted corner. The guys on 250F's were using heaps of clutch and touching the limiter a couple of times clicking gears out of the corner and up the straight. Now, I bet you are wondering why all this brought a smile to my face? Not because I liked how it sounded, I didnt, but these days I am use to it. No, it was because I thought to myself, I never have to worry about maintaining a four stroke that has so many moving parts, uses very expensive oil to keep everything lubricated and working as it should, and requires a bank loan should something fail. What a relief that thought is !!!

Now, I just gotta go out and win this weekend !!!
 :D
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Gimmicks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
So true... gimmicks and pretty bits.. and folks buy bikes.

I mean people post pages and pages of nonsense on message boards about a bike because the plastics look dated!! Who the hell cares?? As long as the bikes works and you like it!!

Kick some four-stroke butt!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »
This is what I call the sheep herd mentality.  If the media tells them (us) this is the latest and greatest...  well some just have to have it, and others will follow...  The same hold true in golf...  (I know a comparison to golf...)  How many of us know someone who will spent thousands of dollars on the "newest and greatest" equipment because he's told it will lower his score, only to score worse than they did before...  sound familar...
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
Modern fourstrokes exist because of arbitrary rule changes and as such I consider the current industry an aberration and a gimmick. I really couldn't be bothered to pay attention to what is happening in four stroke circles because the cost and complexity of these gimmicks is counter productive and indeed destructive to the advancement of the sport.

Give me a direct injected two stroke and I will put one in the garage.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:24:42 AM »

Give me a direct injected two stroke and I will put one in the garage.

That write up on the main page on the fuel injected banshee is great. I really didnt think that any one with enough ability and knowledge to build a fuel injection set up, would actually put enough time, effort and money into developing one. Big congrats to the guys at JSR performance. I hope that they are very successful with it, and even consider expanding their horizons into the dirt bike world. It sounds like they made massive horsepower gains with their bolt on kit. I think I would even be tempted enough to ride that Banshee if given the chance, just to see how good the fuel injection was, and, I aint a quad sorta guy !!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:46:41 AM »
i race in mx3 class ,

on the east european championship, i got 3rd on the 250 cc and 7th in the 450 cc

:d (WITH A KX 250 2004)WITH SUSPENSION ISUEES

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
i race in mx3 class ,

on the east european championship, i got 3rd on the 250 cc and 7th in the 450 cc

:d (WITH A KX 250 2004)WITH SUSPENSION ISUEES

Do you have a couple of photos from race day? Would you like to have a small article written up on the main site?? Please send me a PM.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!