Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: From Brap to Brup  (Read 5110 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
From Brap to Brup
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »
This article shows what we are up against with the younger generation and the mis-information they have been fed for a lifetime.

Read the entire article, try not to get too angry, but let's look at how we can show folks that they have been feed a pile of marketing hype....

http://espn.go.com/action/fmx/blog/_/post/4765736

This is the most telling quote from the article.....

"I grew up and raced after the four-stroke revolution, when most bikes were already four-strokes. It was more of a natural thing to ride a four-stroke. But I actually started riding FMX on a 250 two-stroke, but only because everyone else was doing it and I thought it was a must. Then I came to a realization that, they aren't putting any technology into these old Flintstone two-strokes anymore. I need to ride the new stuff! So, I switched back to a four-stroke and been riding one for the last two years."

What a shame! Sham?  :o
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: From Brap to Brup
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
What about the 250 two stroke from Service Honda? What a shame..
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
2smoker, these are the people that we need to educate on two strokes... while they're mistaken... we should not make them feel they are wrong. Just show them the light.

The fact that he called the two stroke a Flintstone machine without updates, just shows he has bitten the hype... hook, line and sinker.

The idea is that we need to teach these folks the truth, without the hype. Any ideas??
Life is short.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
2smoker, these are the people that we need to educate on two strokes... while they're mistaken... we should not make them feel they are wrong. Just show them the light.

The fact that he called the two stroke a Flintstone machine without updates, just shows he has bitten the hype... hook, line and sinker.

The idea is that we need to teach these folks the truth, without the hype. Any ideas??

Put on a magazine on the shelves about two stroke only and talk the real stuff. This is it. The industry is corrupted.It is almost an embarrassment! We can start electronically then go real! We need to make more noises and piss some people off the industry. Being radical. This website is really good but we need more great articles from Mad!! Shake things up... Petitions, get together at the races with signs.... Swing hard!!! you know!! Just being legit... I am just disgusted . we need a super hero in the pro 450 class on the podium with the 250...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:45:50 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
we need a super hero in the pro 450 class on the podium with the 250...

Funny that you say this.... currently working on a project to do just that!!

Details to be published as soon as I can release them!

How about it... would anybody go to the pro races to support a two stroke racer? We sure could use some serious support from the fans!!
Life is short.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
Interesting that he said he switched to a 2t for freestyle because everyone else does it then switched back to a 4t.There's a reason why all the top freestylers use the 2 t.If he doesn't,he's about as credible as me trying to give SX advice to R.C.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
From what I read, he's not against the two-stroke because they're two-strokes.  He's against them because they're not being updated by the big Japanese factories.  I think the best way to fix clowns like these is to keep working at bringing about an AMA rule change, increasing market demand for the 2T, and getting the factories to make the good bikes again.  The factories don't care what these guys want, because they know they'll take and endorse whatever they give 'em.  We need to create market demand for the 2T through professional motocross and that's the bottom line.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
We need to create market demand for the 2T through professional motocross and that's the bottom line.

I agree, but with the recent changes in the amatur racing allowing 250 vs.250 I foresee smokers being more in demand.  Also for 2010,at the pro ranks of GNCC, its now 250 vs. 250 regardless of the number of strokes.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Recovered

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:51:05 AM »
Didn't know of that rule for GNCC. That's very good news. There is also a thread on here where someone is taling about in Europe or GB or some place they are running a full fledged 125 class, and that supposedly all the Japanese manufacturers will have bikes there. Things that make you go Hummmmmmmm. I have read many times even the Honda 2T's  are available overseas, just not here in the US. More Hummmmmmmmm :( :-[ :-X >:(

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
I believe the women's pro class is 250 2t and 4t as well.  If that's true, the ones on 2 strokes will have a huge advantage at Southwick in the sand!!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 08:46:54 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd choose a bike because it wasn't updated.How do you update it?A 10 yr old YZ is similar to a new one but not because they were never updated.Better suspension is good but other than that it seems to me the factories worked on making them a more user friendly better handling machine.In the modern day era of fourstrokes,they seem to be working primarily on weight loss and reliability.A four stroke engine weighs what it does for the most part so shaving weight from the rest of the machine to compensate only makes them more fragile everywhere else.I guess I don't really see that as a technological "improvement"
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
Mad Scientist - You're correct.... there is a 125cc race series starting in Europe for 2010.... read more about it here,

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/10/fim-uem-125-2t-european-championship-news/

And yes from the news I've heard Kawasaki and Suzuki still manufacture two-stroke motocross bikes that are sold in other parts of the world. There was a rumor circulating about Suzuki importing two-strokes for 2010, we'll have to see if that actually happens...

Another interesting news blurb is that Honda is building a few bikes to compete in this series... as you said... hmmmm...

MXLord327 - Yes this rule has passed, the womens class can use both 250 two-stroke or 250 four-stroke.... my buddy has tried to ask Ashley Fiolek what she will be racing in 2010, but has not heard back from her. Considering that she rides for Honda, my guess is that she will be four-stroke mounted...

ford832 - This is the battle that we are up against... these folks do not understand bikes, because they are so new to it. They don't realize that the updates they are talking about are all marketing hype and very little substance.... what he's not understanding is that the two-stroke is just as good, if not better than the four-stroke he is "riding"....

Our "job" is to show them the light without making enemies... not an easy thing to do!
Life is short.

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:38:22 AM »

Our "job" is to show them the light without making enemies... not an easy thing to do!

Darn near impossible!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »

Darn near impossible!

Can you tell I'm an optimist???
Life is short.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
As I would say "bring it the F--- on!" Now that's confidence.