Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Dying to see the new MAICO tested!  (Read 3482 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Dying to see the new MAICO tested!
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
 :( I can't wait to see the test ride on one of the new MAICOS.I'd also like to get a estimated price on the 500 mmx & see one with all black or red plastic.

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Dying to see the new MAICO tested!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »
Same thing here. Been reading about them a while now but i have never seen any test. When will there be one.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
Can't wait to test ride one myself. ;D

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
I really wanna know about the 320! Performance and price!!!
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »
The bikes are available in the UK right now as far as I know...

As for coming to the USA, they have to get the EPA and DOT approvals before bringing them into the states (legally that is)  :D

Although I have a question, do you want to see a "magazine" test them or do you want to test them yourself??  ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:54 AM »
Well, for what it's worth I can show y'all a test of the '99 Maico 500, which has the same (or very similar, at least) 67 horse motor.  This test also pits the '99 against the '83 Maico 490 Sand Spider, and the '92 Maico 500.

http://www.maicowerk.com/Maico/MaicoBrothers/1999/

Quote from: Maico Brothers
First kick...every time. After a little getting used to on the new Maico, it was time to have fun. Wow ... Its that fast!! We road it hard. The bike just did everything great. The motor came on like a real Maico with a "Dial your power" throttle. The thing that was very different was the clutch...you can use one finger. The Marzocchi Magnum 50 mm forks and the Reiger Rear Shock performed like a dream, eating up everything in its path. We went down two clicks on the compression damping and things got smoother. We tried jumps, bumps, rocks and flat out speed. We spent the day pulling our self back up on the seat or else we thought we would be waving like a flag hanging onto the handle bars. That is saying a lot for a 6'-3 210 lbs test pilot. During one of the speed events, the Maico encountered a two foot bump in the road. two feet at about 70+ MPH is more then two feet! Never the less, the Maico went airborne, rear tire first then the front without any loss of life or subtraction of days from the life of a test pilot. I think "plush" was the word we all used.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:17 AM »
What i want is to see if a rider like james stewart or an other pro is faster on a maico 250 then on a yamaha 250 and if a toprider will be faster on 450 4 stroke then on a maico 320 or something like that. Proofed by laptimes.

That guy from transworldmotox who just rode the yamaha 250 2010 can do it too.

That is what i want.

Things like "will stewart or dungey or some other toprider be able to win sx on a maico too?"

All this with horsepower charts and so on. Like all the tests!!!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:06 AM »
John,i would love to test one myself.A mag test would be cool also as a pro rider test/comparison but the most important thing is hoe i feel on it.

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
I would have mixed feelings about a magazine test, as they are obliged to the big four and honesty usually does not come through in their tests. I don't like when magazine tests give a bike poor ratings because of a sticker that came off or the bars are too wide for their testers, or the color isn't what they want.
    I would have more faith in Super Hunky to do a test comparison and to oversee the test with his own chosen people doing the riding. That would be an honest test, I'm sure.
                        Paul

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:36 AM »
This brings up a very important fact, testing bias. It is very difficult to get any magazine or rider not to have some bias when testing.

In the case of a rider, when you get used to something, sometimes that is your "base line" and anything that "feels" different does not measure up. Another problem, is that most humans make judgments based on the first few seconds of observing something. (For the readers in the group, the book Blink discusses this in detail)

Of course in the case of a magazine, they do have to "help" the folks that spend money on advertising with them. That is one of the reasons a magazine like Consumer Reports is so good, there is no advertising only testing. Although they too have some biases...

So how to do you approach a machine without pre-conceived notions or biases? Great question! How?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »
John,i agree about the bias.Especially from a magazine point of view.How did Ryan Beat test the yz250 2t and keep an open mind even though he never really spent time on a 250 2t.Seems that if something is good it should eliminate some of the bias.mike l. likes the tm.How much did he know about them or how did he feel about them before he rode it?Maybe he would be the pro to ride one and give us a review right here on TSM?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
Something interesting to note is that even in the Super Hunky days, Maicos got pretty bad reviews.  When you compared it next to a Honda review, they would casually list this great load of things that were bad with it.  Important things, that you really don't want to go wrong.  But then the rest of the article is a glowing review.  On a Maico test, they go into excruciating detail on every little thing that's wrong.  Entire paragraphs dedicated to the bolt that liked to vibrate loose in the engine, and how they had to have some guy fly in from Madagascar to apply some ancient secret Loc-Tite made from the leaves of a tree found only by the Oolompiqui River.  Oh, and by the way, the bike is by far the fastest motorcycle available today both in turns and on the straights.  BUT, you'll first have to overcome the dastardly engine chain which requires replacement three times per moto!

It wasn't a matter of ad revenue as it is today, as Maico ran their own ads as well, and a magazine could rake in massive dollars without any ads at all.  However, it seemed like they were held up to higher standards than the other bikes.  It was like Hondas were held to Honda standards, and Maicos were held to Porsche standards.  I've seen Top Gear give a glowing review of a Ford Focus and then grind a $200,000 car into the wood, because they're apples and oranges.  But why did the magazines always treat Maicos like they were apples and oranges to the other bikes?  They were expensive, but the extra cost was made up for by the fact that Maicos were covered in desirable aftermarket parts that the Yamaha owner was just going to buy anyway.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I agree with everything you say JETZcorp.I've been reading all of the mainstream dirt bike mags in the U.S.since 1977 when I got my first Honda mini trail 50 & I recall all of the mags always had something negative to say about the Maico's! The only thing I can say is I've owned a "81"Maico 490 & although at that time it had a little bit too much power for my 17 -19 yr.old very thin body I was able to get it out in the wide open fields in PA. & I have'nt rode any dirtbike since that has had that amount & type of POWER! That is why I'm maybe a tad bit over anxious to see the test ride on TSM & I'm also anxious to get a price on one of the 500's or even a 320! I'm starting to get older & I feel like its the right time for me to own a bigger open class 2-stroke.I'm still going to keep my "08" KTM-300xc because it's a perfect bike for riding the woods & mountainous terrain of the Appalachians.