Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: My dad (55 years old) bought a new bike  (Read 6004 times)

Offline Larry63r

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: My dad (55 years old) bought a new bike
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:50 AM »
55 is not old! I am getting ready to go to the LA OTMX international this weekend at Competitive edge in Hesperia, CA and race with 200 guys ranging from 40 to 80 years of age. I am looking forward to turning 50 so I can get out of the +40 class. Those damn +40 riders are nuts.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:30 AM »
Eeew a four stroke... :P

Nice looking bike, tell your dad congrats on the new ride!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
Damn you guys, I turn 50 in June  :(

Holy crap you're old !  :o I won't be there for another 4 years  ;D
Tell your Dad congrats on the new bike ccoady.Sweet ride 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
You never know what'll happen.
Live for the day, plan for tomorrow.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
In all honesty, you're dad needs to trade it in on a KTM 200 put a flywheel weight on the 250XC or SX. Heck, he could have a lot of fun on the 150. I'm sure that a dealer would let him try one out if he took the 450 up there with him.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
In all honesty, you're dad needs to trade it in on a KTM 200 put a flywheel weight on the 250XC or SX. Heck, he could have a lot of fun on the 150. I'm sure that a dealer would let him try one out if he took the 450 up there with him.

I tried to convince him otherwise.  His last RACE bikes were a Maico 390 and Maico 250 - not sure of the years.  After that (and me being born) he switched over to airplanes and just recently got back into riding again.  The dealer didn't have any 2 strokes available, because I tried to get him to get the 300 2t but all they had on the floor were 250, 350, and 450 4t's.  He was riding a KLX 250 before this bike and it didn't have the power he wanted for the dual sport races and enduros he ran in last year.  He can't make the 2 stroke street legal here in Ilinois unfortunately and for a couple of the dual sport races, they have to be street legal.  He did borrow my RM 250 last year for an enduro and it was too much work for him (lack of flywheel weight naturally) keeping it running down low.

I'd like to have a KTM 150 for myself, even though at 6'7" 230 lbs I'm a bit big for it, I'd still have fun with it.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
Oh, I know. I'm being kind of selfish. I wish I had the money to plop down on a new bike. I would take your dad's bike in a heartbeat.

.  .  .  and then I would sell it for a good used 2-stroke.    :D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
A Maico 390?  I can't say I've ever heard of one of those.  Maybe a 360, from way way back in the late-60s to early-70s?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
That,s cool that your Pa, has a bike and he,ll let you ride it, sounds like a cool guy. 55 yrs old  he,s not a spring chicken, but very capable of ripping up a trail. I,m 44 and Live everyday like it,s 1983, goofy new wave bowl hair cut, can still dunk a basketball and have a crowd in awe of my skills haha. I  like to have fun and be loose, my alas aka name is Ricky Rick Ringle haha , for dating I have 1 rule that is no married women, all others are fair game. Alot of people are way to serious these days, they wait for retire ment to have fun.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
Getting older can be tough to,if your body is beatup. I was getting loaded 2 days ago at a doc in the pouring rain, the concrete  had 5 inches of standing water, I stepped in a hole and tweeeked my back pinching a nerve. Today I get home and there,s 17 inches of snow, moving my stuff from the truck I slipped weird a couple times. So I,m laying on ice, went to the chiropractor twice,got adjusted once and spent over 2 hrs in a dentist chair today. The trailer I pull is intermodal a 53 foot box set on a 54.5 foot chassis, they beat the hell out of the truck and driver. So I have to get healed fast, I,ll be iceing all night.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »
A Maico 390?  I can't say I've ever heard of one of those.  Maybe a 360, from way way back in the late-60s to early-70s?

sorry, that was a typo....Maico 490.

He also has an Ossa and a Bultaco, so on top of that and the jap bikes, he's had a diverse collection of bikes.  That was back in the day when people would trade bikes at the track, and you could buy a new one without taking out a 5 year loan, haha.