Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: From Dirt Rider Magazine On-Line....  (Read 3173 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
From Dirt Rider Magazine On-Line....
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
I just read this from a reader response article to the question "Where will off-road riding be in 10 years?"  Great answer from Scott Harden.

"Ten years down the road, I see a lot of people out recreating on dual-sport bikes in areas where the only way you'll be able to get in is on something street-legal with a license plate on it. And I see us doing it on two-stroke motorcycles! They're cheaper, have better power and are easier to work on. As long as the magazines don't sell us a bill of goods about how four-strokes are the future, we'll be safe. We've got to protect ourselves against the media because they got behind the four-stroke thing and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Now, we've got bikes we can't afford to ride, parents who can't work on them and who need to send their kids to school to get a Nuclear Science degree just to own and operate the darn dirt bike! There's not one single entity that's more responsible for that than the media." -Scott Harden, National Sales and Marketing Manager, Husqvarna

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: From Dirt Rider Magazine On-Line....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
Reading that, I would think that Husqvarna have some big two stroke releases coming up shortly, with, more than likely, new two stroke technology. Definitely a manufacturer to keep an eye on for two stroke development.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Mr.Harden sounds like a conspiracy theorist or,more likely given his position in the industry,he's just saying the truth.With BMW's resources and "willingness to take the road less traveled" we might just see something exciting out of Husky in the (near) future. :)

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
I'm still waiting to see all this 'new technology', the KTM 300 was supposed to be injected 3 years ago, the Husaberg with the funny pipe. Where has it gone IF it ever existed in the first place?

Offline sdjclevland

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Yeah the I keep reading in the mags how ktm has a direct injection two stroke in the works. 

I asked a ktm rep that works at the headquarters here in Ohio about it and after a long pause he said no but it would be sweet though.  It seemed like he was lying to be honest but who knows.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Historically, Husqvarna has been my second-favorite brand for motorcycles and I am absolutely thrilled that someone in the company is putting his neck out there for the two-strokes, and putting the Husqvarna name next to it.  Husky was one of the major forces that launched the first two-stroke revolution, now I say it's time for them to do it again.  I disagree with him about the media being the #1 influencing factor - I think culprit #1 is the AMA and the (I would assume, at the time) well-intentioned rule change.  Everything that's happened after that has been a result of that decision.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
Swedish built Husqvarna's have always been my favorites and would trade my wife for another '76 360WR  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
The Swedish Huskies were a class act. I just read that Highland Motors went under as well.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
Husqvarna will be a brand to watch.
They've always been willing to think out of the box and dare to be different.
Rotax makes some stuff for BMW, they should help Husky with a new revolutionairy 2T now!
Everybody in The Netherlands seems to be going back to 2 strokes, or are at least
concidering the option.
We have new sound rules as of april 1st, 2011.
On all MX track sound must be no more than 95.2 dB.
All 4 stroke owners are getting frustated a bit...
While the 2 strokes seem to be ok with a good silencer.
Will be a very intersting year!  :)
Although 'there are still a few things unclear,
at least 3 insiders have claimed that we will deffinately see less 4 strokes on the tracks!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:05:32 PM by EJ »

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Husqvarna will be a brand to watch.
They've always been willing to think out of the box and dare to be different.
Rotax makes some stuff for BMW, they should help Husky with a new revolutionairy 2T now!
Everybody in The Netherlands seems to be going back to 2 strokes, or are at least
concidering the option.
We have new sound rules as of april 1st, 2011.
On all MX track sound must be no more than 95.2 dB.
All 4 stroke owners are getting frustated a bit...
While the 2 strokes seem to be ok with a good silencer.
Will be a very intersting year!  :)
Although 'there are still a few things unclear,
at least 3 insiders have claimed that we will deffinately see less 4 strokes on the tracks!

Its great to hear sound requirements are being put in place.  Someone is getting it right.  To save our sport, this is a requirement, regardless what strokes you prefer.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
Husky's new bikes are awesome as well as the new Gas Gas 250 enduro.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.