Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New to the forum... my first Two-Stroke after 6 four-strokes! Need some feedback  (Read 6302 times)

Offline HondaRider116

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I've finally decided to join TSM forum as I have recently got my FIRST ever two-stroke, a stock and like-new 2006 CR250R.

After owning the following four-strokes (long list unfortunately): '07 crf250r, '08 250sxf, '09 kx250f, '06 crf450r, '09 crf450r and finally an '08 Yz250f. After finally returning to a slow, stock yamaha 250f I was fed up with it after only a month, and decided it was the time to change over to the type of bike with a great power-to-weight ratio, easy maintenance and a retarded power output.

I must say it was difficult to find one that wasn't beat on. I was going to get a YZ as I heard they had the best 250, but as a diehard Honda fan I really wanted a clean CR, as they ceased production in '07 and now they are pretty much considered collector's items to some.

Here is my '06, completely stock other than a renthal 50 tooth rear sprocket.

upload pictures

upload pictures

I've already ridden the bike a few times and wow, she really screams, even unmodified. As I find this model such a classic, my intentions for changes will simply to be making look like RC's CR250 from 2002, the Woody woodpecker honda  ;D

My other dilemma is the exhaust.. the section out the exhaust port is unfortunately rusty and also has a decent-sized dent on the widest section of the header (see the pic). I have the option of getting a full system (FMF or PC??) or grinding the rust off, fixing the dent and painting it over flat black. By the way, can I really fix the dent by filling the header with water and freezing it? Anyone ever done it, will it even work??

Well that's pretty much it, I have done some research on this bike and I am aware of the issues with the electronic power valves and ticking noises as of the '05 model and etc etc.. I need some suggestions for any changes than are "essential" that can be done to overall improve this bike mechanically.

I am also new to two-strokes so I can't say I know them inside-out, and would like to hear some tips/pointers/suggestions/things to watch out for/etc from you guys! Thanks, hope all of you like my new ride!  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
Ditch the stock pipe. I like FMF, and it looks like they have an SST for the CR. If it works as well on the CR as it does on my RM, you won't believe the new power.

There are 3 choices, depending on what you're looking for  http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeAsList/2005_HONDA_CR250R
Ontario, Canada

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
Nice bike, I've got an 05 and fitted an FMF Factory pipe with a shorty, goes pretty good
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline HondaRider116

• Novice
    • View Profile
Nice bike, I've got an 05 and fitted an FMF Factory pipe with a shorty, goes pretty good

Doesn't the Factory Fatty rust really quickly? That's what I've heard.. what do you do to prevent it ?

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
I am sure there are other sprays or oils you can use but..

what i use is 2 stroke oil ((whats left over in the can))

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Welcome to the site! Good choice on the bike.
The best way I have found for keeping a the raw pipes looking good.. WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad. They are a little more work to keep looking good than a nickel pipe, but they look much better as well (in my opinion).

Offline HondaRider116

• Novice
    • View Profile
The best way I have found for keeping a the raw pipes looking good.. WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad. They are a little more work to keep looking good than a nickel pipe, but they look much better as well (in my opinion).

Thanks Charles!

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
It's such a beaut!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
What Charles said, they are more work but look better i think, i use a light coat of grease if its going to sit for a while. Also ditch the carby, i heard an 06+ KTM 250 sx carb works really well, turns it into a beast.

05 CR 250

Offline HondaRider116

• Novice
    • View Profile
What Charles said, they are more work but look better i think, i use a light coat of grease if its going to sit for a while. Also ditch the carby, i heard an 06+ KTM 250 sx carb works really well, turns it into a beast.

Yeah I heard about those carbs too. Either that or a Keihin PWK air striker.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
New to the forum... my first Two-Stroke after 6 four-strokes! Need some feedback
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
Yeah thats the one, $160 from JD jetting all set up, im gonna do it soon, mine does go well but it would be nice if it ran near perfect, especiallly down low, its a bit sluggish

05 CR 250

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
New to the forum... my first Two-Stroke after 6 four-strokes! Need some feedback
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »
In case you were still considering it, don't try the frozen water trick. The freezing water will push EVERYWHERE its touching -- not just the dent. There are pipe repair guys that take care of that sort of thing for a living and not too expensive (probably less than an FMF pipe but not "free").
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
I have this bike and use the pc works/shorty moto tassinari combo works well with stock jetting. plenty of mid top. i have lots of battle damage to pipe and barley notice it. mind you no real large dents.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:45:47 AM »
everything ive ever heard on the cr said stay with the stock pipe. larocco and RC used it.http://www.smartsynthetics.com/images/MLaRoccoBike2005.jpg

but id add a diff silencer vforce

Offline HondaRider116

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
everything ive ever heard on the cr said stay with the stock pipe. larocco and RC used it.http://www.smartsynthetics.com/images/MLaRoccoBike2005.jpg

but id add a diff silencer vforce

You've got a point, you're also not the first person to tell me to stay stock and not spend 350$ on a full system.. I was thinking about a FMF Powercore II silencer but I'm not sure..? I heard an FMF Shorty amplifies sound a lot