Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A New Blue KTM-300 Two-Stroke???  (Read 8078 times)

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: A New Blue KTM-300 Two-Stroke???
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
You could tell from the video that that was pretty much a KTM with a different tank and shroud.

Nothing to celebrate about.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »
It may be a KTM in blue plastic but if this is the case,it would be the first time.Berg has their own team of designers in Sweden though they are manufactured in Austria.A look at the new Berg 4t's as compared to the new KTM's show a completely different engine/chassis-as it has always been.Since the purchase,Berg has been somewhat of a test bed for new ideas that may/may not find their way on to KTM's.A much smaller market if it doesn't work out I suppose.While many parts are shared,many are different and many look the same but aren't.For example,the PDS rear of a Berg is different,mounts different,is angled different and is valved different.I always thought it was pretty smart of KTM to set up Berg this way rather than just absorbing them.Different teams with different ideas and so on.I've owned both and ridden others and much prefer the Berg chassis and was comfortable buying one knowing they had KTM quality and components.
As for the 2t,it may well just be a carbon copy but would still be a good bike.Typically KTM's and Bergs aren't sold from the same dealer so rumor has it the intent was to give Berg dealers a 2t option given the increasing popularity of 2t's these days.Smart move imo.On the other hand,after KTM took "Ready to Race" from Husaberg and replaced it with "Fourstroke Force" you have to wonder what it will be now.Maybe "Two Stroke Domination" :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:14 AM »
Ford your the 2nd person that I heard from that said KTM took "Ready To Race"from Husaberg & replaced that with "Four Stroke Force".?! ??? Your probably right but the reason why I'm a little confused about that is because when Husabergs 1st came out I remember getting a small poster out of one of the dirtbike magazines that had the new Husaberg 550 4-stroke advertised on it & it said "Four Stroke Force"on the front of that poster that I hung on my bedroom wall back in or around 1990 or 91.Back then I was stupidly thinking about converting to a 4-choker :-[ Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody for I was young & a little stupid at that time....

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
I've got my submission for their new slogan.

"Two strokes and they're done."
"Two strokes is all it takes."
"If you got more than two strokes, you're just playing with yourself." (Okay, so I stole this one from someone's signature.)

I think you can pick up on the theme, here.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
Now I remember what else I had to say on the subject this is no the first time KTM has had another lable on it.
We all remember John Penton....Katooms labled as Pentons.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
Yeah,did'nt Penton have a dirtbike called the "Jack Piner" or something like that and then KTM brought one of their versions of it out but with the KTM name? ::)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
Other way around Maicoman
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 04:45:53 AM »
Husaberg was Fourstroke force but then went to "ready to race" then back again when KTM acquired them.As for the Penton,it was a KTM that Penton imported and put his name on.KTM put out a special edition bike(around 97-98 I think) called the Jackpiner which was,oddly enough,blue in color.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
Didn't Penton do some things to make it different from KTMs, though?  I always had the impression that Penton had a more "high-end" reputation, like when you got one you were getting a KTM that was modified until John Penton was satisfied with it.  Or was that just marketing?

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
Pentons were only sold on the East Coast and KTM's on the West Coast. From what I understand John and his sons helped with the development and improvements to the KTM's.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
That's right riffraff,I do recall that John Penton with his son made improvements to the KTM.Nonetheless thankyou riffraff and ford for helping my old weak & feeble mind in recollecting that info! ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
If you're relying on MY weak and feeble mind to remember anything accurately maicoman-you're in a bad way :D

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »
I'm hearin' ya Ford. I just turned the big 4-0 last month & everyone's tellen me that "It's all down hill from here out..!" :( Do ya think Jetz would know anything bout that?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
Sooner or later he will  :P

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »
I've still got a hair over 21 years until I reach that point, boys. :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?