Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Listen to this.  (Read 8583 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Listen to this.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »
That kawasaki mechanic said it all.  Four strokes have made motocross boring.  Thats why i dont watch motocross that much any more. ITS SO FREAKIN BORING

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
I think Bob Hannah is probably the only guy who would be crazy enough in his prime to make four-strokes interesting to watch.  It's amazing that he won so much, even though he was weighed down by the massive brass balls he had to carry around with him.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »
That kawasaki mechanic said it all.  Four strokes have made motocross boring.  Thats why i dont watch motocross that much any more. ITS SO FREAKIN BORING

4junk is not motocross.. Why the masses believe all the hype.. 99% of people are just totally blind. 8) The sport reached a peak of gayness in 2010 like never before. Even the riders are not fun to watch.. Who really cares about Dungey.. AMA and DC is a joke. They totally ruined the sport. Everybody has the same style, using the same lines... sound like crap..My interest to the sport went bankruptcy. lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:33:16 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
Two strokes gave riders all different types of style.  You could be super fast and flashy like james stewart or you could be smooth and fast like carmicheal.  Two strokes involved more passing wich makes for better racing.  If the AMA wants motocross to be the best sport in the world they will have to stop spoon feeding honda and take the stupid handicap off so two strokes can dominate again.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »
Anybody see the first moto at Redbud, even though it was all 4 strokes it was definitely a race with a great and surprising finish, but unfortunately I fell asleep during the second moto  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:25:26 AM »
That was a cool video.

JETZ did you ever watch Hannah ride in person? Or are you just regurgitating what you read in "Monkey Butt" ?  ;D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:39:22 AM »
Hannah was much more impressive to watch in person!!

Television and video "flatten" obstacles like hills, and off cambers. So you don't get a real feel for what it's really like. This can be proven quite easily by anyone willing to do so.

Not only have I seen Bob in action but I've had the opportunity to say hello to him numerous times. Amazing guy!

And as a strange aside, when I read stories about the Hannah/DeCoster battle at Unadilla at the Trans-AM the descriptions do very little to convey the actual race. Actually the only account that I have ever heard that is accurate has been Bob's recount of the event in the film "Legacy of Motocross".

This was an amazing race. Seeing Bob race up close and personal was a real treat. A quick example is that during that race Bob was powering up the hill towards the Screw U, like in 4th or 5th gear wide open and crashed during one of the motos.. got back on the bike and continued his attack (that is the only word to describe it) on the track.

One thing you could tell from watching him and DeCoster race that day.. they were both determined to win and would do whatever it took to do so. Remember these were the days of 40 minute plus two laps... that last 10 to 15 minutes is what separated the men from the boys...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »
I agree, I watched him only once when I was younger, and even though that was after his glory days, he was still impressive to watch. His battles with Marty in the 125 class in the 70's were incredible to read about.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:52 AM »
I've seen videos of Hannah racing, there was a lot of his crazy antics in On Any Sunday II.  And of course I didn't see him in person, I was unfortunate enough to grow up in the '90s.

And John, I know what you're talking about with film flattening the terrain.  I remember watching Widowmaker on On Any Sunday and thinking, "Oh come on, that's not so bad!"  Then I paused it looked at the angle from a mathematical standpoint (figured out how many degrees it was, give or take) and then compared that to some gnarly hills I'd done the same with in real life.  "Oh... well... Jesus Christ!"

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »
I've seen videos of Hannah racing, there was a lot of his crazy antics in On Any Sunday II.  And of course I didn't see him in person, I was unfortunate enough to grow up in the '90s.

Too bad about not seeing Hannah live. I think because I grew up in that era, but the 70-80's was some great racing! I stumbled across a picture of Hannah the other day in the pits sitting on an old nylon lawn chair sweating his butt off. Now days guys have Semi's with showers and air conditioning, LOL.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
Hannah would not allow his mechanic to travel in the box van with the A/C on. In those days the racers traveled with the mechanic in their box trucks, Hannah wanted to get used to the conditions he would be racing in.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »
Reminds me of seeing Bengt Aberg in On Any Sunday, gasping for air lying down in the mud between motos.  Sometimes I think it'd be cool to get rid of my laptop and things and go back to that era for some awesome cars, bikes, and music at a time when men were men and didn't insist on having soy milk in their latte and a powder-blue Prius.  It was a time that could still generate stories about "that time when we were pouring gas on the camp fire and the five-gallon can exploded."

And yes, that's a true story. ;)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
I saw Hannah back in the Seventies at Hangtown, talked to him in the pits and he was totally cool ... here's one for Jetz

aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days