Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: FINALLY, an industry insider (GP MEchanic) drops the Honda bomb. Straight up.  (Read 16007 times)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
for your own health please let go of your grudge with Honda, it mustn't be doing your blood pressure much good

(jokes, but at the same time kinda serious haha)

I dont think husky will put their DI bike into MX racing. youd be more likely to see it winning an enduro or supermoto world championship.
so as far as thats concerned I dont think Honda could give two hoots.
also, If anything Husky will be stealing KTM customers, not crf450 customers :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
jeram 

i think your right. since honda owners seem to be the most brand loyal

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The way things are going at Honda there may not be that many customers left to steal.

I assume Orbital has a lock on 2T direct injection patents and I'm sure this is a big hindrance to the development of DI.

With DI the fuel charge is injected into the combustion chamber after the exhaust port is closed (in theory) mitigating scavenging losses.With this in mind we should see a significant increase in lower rpm power (in a "tuned" 2T),should make for some pretty awesome small bores. ;D

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
DI is great if you want your bike in the shop all the time. The new fuel injected 4-st, are constantly replacing the injecter, a piece of dirt from your air filter, gets sucked in. Replace the injecter, change pipes, gearing, silencer, a piston with a diff. weight and  a reprogram is needed. A 2012 big truck diesel is more advanced than any engine made, the exhaust is cleaner than the air you breath :o, while still making over 500 hp with 2,000 ft. lbs. of torque.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
DI is great if you want your bike in the shop all the time. The new fuel injected 4-st, are constantly replacing the injecter, a piece of dirt from your air filter, gets sucked in. Replace the injecter, change pipes, gearing, silencer, a piston with a diff. weight and  a reprogram is needed. A 2012 big truck diesel is more advanced than any engine made, the exhaust is cleaner than the air you breath :o, while still making over 500 hp with 2,000 ft. lbs. of torque.

This is a good point. Those big ass trucks are monsters... The scary ass thing is that the Dodge SRT10 Viper puts out 648 HP :o It would be good if they could ensure the DI on a two stroke keeps the engine as simple as possible to the point that most blokes can do it in their own shed.

for your own health please let go of your grudge with Honda, it mustn't be doing your blood pressure much good

(jokes, but at the same time kinda serious haha)

I dont think husky will put their DI bike into MX racing. youd be more likely to see it winning an enduro or supermoto world championship.
so as far as thats concerned I dont think Honda could give two hoots.
also, If anything Husky will be stealing KTM customers, not crf450 customers :)

I don't know if I'd call it a grudge, I'm not happy with their BS thats for sure but they still make good lawn mowers right? And I actually do mean lawn mowers not their bikes.
I don't know some people might see the DI as a sign saying that two strokes are not dead and are PERFECTLY competitive. And the old school bike riders that actually prefer two strokes but need a fooper to be competitive might go back.

jeram 

i think your right. since honda owners seem to be the most brand loyal
I was a honda customer once. And I know that people do tend to defend the honda brand name with everything they've got, but with their recent screw ups in the MX range of bikes I be thinking they've lost alot of customers.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Id be comparing the reliability of injection to nothing else but snowmobiles and jetskis as these are the only 2Ts which are curerntly DI'ed

they are super reliable, id they werent you'd be lost at sea or at the summit of an icy mountain... not where you want to be stuck!

These vehicles use orbital DI (atleast I know that the liberty/polaris engines do), they pay the licencing fees because they have to, to be emmissions compliant. and soon so will the dirt bikes and road 2T's so they will pay the orbital fees without any hesitation.

I used to think orbital was evil for charging so much for their protected patents, but its actually the potential purchasers who are being tight arses for not wanting to pay for orbitals hard work. It would take honda or any other company alot more money if they had to develop the orbital system from scratch.
also, its not hard to beat a patent, you just have to 'improve' on it by 10%

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
I have an 80's test of a Saab done by a British car mag. and in the (London) test the exhaust emitted by the car was cleaner then the smoggy air going in. :-X

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
Yes, Orbital have every right to charge what they want, for their licencing fees.

It's made investors / owners many, many millions of dollars, as So Very Many Companies, around the world, pay the licensing fees.

I look at it this way - their DFI licensing fees, by being expensive, in some companies eyes, or companies with 'not invented here' approaches, means that other techs are / have been developed.

On Ya, Orbital.  :D

Quite a few of them, much more appropriate for use in 2t motorcycles.

DFI - Other techs, are about making 2ts pass ever stricter emmission regulations, first and foremost. And, it will enable 2ts to be put back onto the road - far more than just keeping existing dirtbikes on the road.

KTM, have always said, that it will be the EXCs that get it first. SXs, may be later.

That DFI - Other techs, opens up a lot of potential for tuning / further 2t innovation, is the iceing on the cake.

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
ive been reading stuff all day about 2strokes and think for the enviromentalist, dirt bikers should get together and build the small air generators as well as solar panels.stop using any gas for lawn mowers. do everything we can to only use fuel for the things we love. then when people complain we all know its about taking our freedoms and not about pollution. if two strokes never get any cleaner than they are right now which is really nothing or if you make them super clean people than dont even know the difference between a two stroke or a four stroke will cry and complain about them.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
People who complain about two strokes have obviously never been to a truck pull. Man that diesel smoke smells  ;D

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Yeah but diesel, even full of particle emissions (that leave cities black and stained) is cleaner than gasoline when it comes to hazardous emissions. New diesels are even cleaner. Some big cities in Europe are banning diesels older than '96 (when the new technologies came out) to eliminate some of the particle emissions accumulating on the walls and overpasses. Bangkok was really bad last time I was there!

A Porsche 911 emits cleaner air than what goes in it. That has actually been a subject in the global warming argument. Prior to the '80's, we were on a cooling cycle. Everyone was worried about the new ice age. Hollywood made a ton of movies about it. Then, after reducing CFC's and producing cleaner systems, we have swung the other way and low cities like Venice are sinking under the rise in sea levels. I've posted elsewhere on this site about a company who is actually polluting the upper atmosphere to create the effect without the health (respitory) issues involved with smog.

Yes, a 2-stroke MX bike is equivalent to 28 cars (or something like that) but the other argument is that you will drive one of the 28 cars more that 1 MX bike. And cars are not the problem. Factories are the worst but at least they are regulated (to some extent) but Air Travel is unregulated and worse than if the travelers all drove in clean modern cars to their destinations.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Critta

• View Profile
But that would be spending their money  :-[  Why would you promote 2t's when you are paid to ride 4t's? Why build a bike to race against the bike you're being specially paid to ride? The problem is that racing is indeed a form of advertising as much as everyone wants to ignore. As for pro riders for two strokes Jeremy McGrath has openly made statements in favor of them, and in one of more recent interviews he made his opinion quite clear:

David Brocavich:  "So, tell me how you really feel about the AMA's four stroke rule..."
Jeremy McGrath:  "I think we should all ride two strokes, that's my answer to that. Bring back the two strokes, I miss that noise, and I miss the smell. Oh, and the racing, yeah the racing was better to."

Hey mate is this a video or a article that i could have a read of if you have a link?

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
People who complain about two strokes have obviously never been to a truck pull. Man that diesel smoke smells  ;D

Tell me about it, my school is on a hill and a major highway too... So when a trucks got a full load going up that hill, I head inside pretty quick smart. Diesal smoke is baaaad...

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Can somebody please explain to me how one 2t even though they burn fuel at a much lower temps creates more carbon than 26 cars(BS)? My yz gets maybe 10-18mpg(About the same as 4 stroke mx bikes) and that's riding the wheels off it, but when a Porsche gets the same gas mileage and is still considered cleaner there is a problem. I think the problem here is that people see smoke and automatically think dirty, which has plagued diesels for quite sometime now.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Can somebody please explain to me how one 2t even though they burn fuel at a much lower temps creates more carbon than 26 cars(BS)?

I too am curios. Does anyone know? I read somewhere that an entire season of pro two stroke motocross puts out less pollution than 1 day of formula 1 racing does anyone know if this has truth to it?