Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: FINALLY, an industry insider (GP MEchanic) drops the Honda bomb. Straight up.  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
And back on topic we are...

I think it would be absolutely great to just get a statement from chad or dungey that says basically what this legend does: Honda wants to own and fuck motocross.
Everyones seen how much faster chad was on his real bikes. Carmichael swears by em. I think if we could get the statements of some of those legends, like mcgrath and carmichael and maybe even some side statements from the factory mechanics. By that I mean: DON'T BUY THESE PIECES OF COCK. People might start listening

serious question:

If these riders made mega bucks for years and years, and prefer 2Ts. why not build and race their own bike, bankrolled by their vast fortune earned riding 4Ts?

You raise a fair point. Maybe they don't prefer two strokes. Maybe they've gotten lazier now that they are, like you said basically just getting all the cash and not caring.
My answer is that it would be extremely difficult to keep up on practise, but still run your own team. Maybe if you hired a team manager of some sort and had everything run for you...? I don't know thats gotta be extremely expensive maybe they just don't care anymore. I firmly believe that if KTM gave someone on here a blank check they could make a bike that was 450 equal in terms of horsepower but still had all the advantages of a lighter bike. I've heard people say that the factory 250s used to make 60 horsepower give or take a little. Thats alot of ponies and has to be almost on par with todays factory 450s. So we know it CAN be done but they're probably thinking along the lines of WTFactoryx: Why would I want to do that when I get paid millions to ride these?

Who knows what motivates them but I'd love to see it happen, unfortunately its probably going to remain a dream
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Jeram, that is an easy one. Pro motocross is a business. When Chad Reed bank rolled his 22 Motorsports, it wasn't to just beable to continue his racing career. He had every intention of making a Profit from it. It was an investment. Honda, PC, BelRay, (yada, yada) gives him large amounts of cash and support. Even the FIM, via YouthStream gets in on the act by using the Chad Reed Fox advert in their 2012 Rider Guide (regardless that Chad doesn't race in the World Championship). Chad is just another cog in the machine that continues to pursuade the sheeple to purpetuate the 4$ conspiracy. Just like Emig, but not as annoying.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
What VBS said.

If apple came to you and PAID you to use an iphone, would you give up your samsung android?

I wouldn't, I hate iphones. Same thing with smokers but some people are so decided and/or dont care.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
dont despair though, I think the new husky DI 250's will have significantly more mumbo to scare off the 450s.

A large throttle body (as per FI) will do that :D

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Wait what? Is Husky pumping out some EFI 250 smokers?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
according to their CEO, they will have DFI bikes at the international motor show this year.

that could mean we get them late this year or next year.

EDIT: itl be another 12 months sorry, but they are confirmed to be coming!, but we will see a few husky factory enduro riders racing the 300DI very soon.

I think this will be a game changer, just in time before the electric bikes take over.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Thats freaking awesome.

But one question, whats the difference between EFI and DFI? I know the D is direct in that so I was thinking it had similarities to a diesel injector?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
Thats freaking awesome.

But one question, whats the difference between EFI and DFI? I know the D is direct in that so I was thinking it had similarities to a diesel injector?
Direct as in directly into the combustion chamber i think, rather than injected in on the inlet tract somewhere.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
That makes sense. Thats how diesels do it right?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
The current breed of DFI's are somewhere between DFI and EFI.
they inject into the transfer ports I during the pistons up stroke so that as little fuel as possible goes out the exhaust. and some also have an injector in the throttle body that turns on in the top end to give better atomisation (works almost like a power jet)

where as proper 2T DFI injects directly into the cylinder after ports are all closed.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
What current breed do you mean jeram.
Orbital and etec are both proper DI.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Jeram, that is an easy one. Pro motocross is a business. When Chad Reed bank rolled his 22 Motorsports, it wasn't to just beable to continue his racing career. He had every intention of making a Profit from it. It was an investment. Honda, PC, BelRay, (yada, yada) gives him large amounts of cash and support.

The oldest saying in racing is "How do you make a small fortune from racing?" the answer is easy you begin with a large one. Just finding sponsorships is a full time job, then they are conditional, only really if you win lots of races and championships do the $$ add up. Most of the considerable costs in motorsport involve getting to and from the venue.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
What current breed do you mean jeram.
Orbital and etec are both proper DI.

Current breed in motorcycles, where other factors come into play including throttle response.

I beleive that currently, semi direct injection with a secondary injector at the throttle body provide the best throttle response, but at the expense of emissions, particularly in the top end

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
The definition of "Proper DFI", has been set by the previous / current status quo.

The set up that 'appears' to be being used in the twin injector Ossa - with regards to the upper injector, AND the injector in the Athena design - that I have described / posited on previously, I think, is the most logical 2t application of DFI. So far.

Making use of 2ts 'natural' induction and exhaust cycles, to keep it as simple as possible.

When I first saw it, I foolishly didn't give much thought to it. Then, I stopped, chased it up, and thought about it properly.

The direction a injector points the charge into the combustion chamber, is not how it should be defined / thought of as legitimate DFI. That it is directed efficiently into the combustion chamber, is what DFI should be about.

Ossa twin injector set up, is a very nice way of doing things. That it (appears to ) have the one injector, going directly into the combustion chamber, with the other injector, being Past the reed valve,   into the case / transfer / boost port injector , makes it a far more sophisticated (in elegance of simplicity terms, and induction) set up than current 4t EFIs. Think of the KXF250 dual injectors, 1 before the throttle valve / in the airboot, 1 after the throttle valve.

I'll call the Athena / Ossa (the main, top injector orientation), DFI. That it's been previously pointing down through the cylinder head, for the vast part of it's use, does not make it the definitive version of DFI, especially for 2t use.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
With all this talk of DI in the smokers I think shits gonna hit the fan for Fonda. All their bullshit regarding how superior the four jokes are, how they are more advanced isn't gonna be worth its weight in shit once Husky brings a DI two stroke into the fray. Looking forward to it  :P