Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: motocross helmet??  (Read 5691 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
 I have a MSR helmet right now that's DOT & ECE approved but I'm going to be on the market for a new helmet soon because the helmet interferes with my Oakley crowbar goggles & the last ride I was on a few days ago I noticed that I lost the nose piece on my googles & I'm not to happy about that! I believe it was chump6784 that recomended a AGV helmet & they are top notch helmets with a fairly reasonable price! If you have lots & lots of extra money I personally would buy either a AIROH helmet or a UFO helmet.They're made in Italy so I'd find a dealer near your home & make sure you try whatever brand you buy on & put your pointer finger & middle finger together when the helmets on & see if you can push your 2 fingers in the side of the helmet & touch your ears.If you can touch your ears the helmets too big,if you can't touch your ears with your 2 fingers than you have the right size & it will protect you the best in a crash.... 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
You should have changed that helmet 6 concussions ago. Helmets are only ment for one big hit, the foam compresses and they are not protecting your head properly after that
Really?  :o Looks like I should be in the market for a new helmet  :-X

:P

I don't have the cash to be throwing into a new helmet everytime I stack it. 3 inches of foam and hardened plastic will keep me from dying for the moment.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
All well and good til you live out your days as a drooling vegetable that has had one too many hits. Concussions are REALLY BAD, Mmmkay.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
 Ever seen a car with a smashed front end?  That's exactly what happens with the foam in the helmet..

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
Years ago when i gave up dirt bikes I had a crash in one of my last races. I hit my head but didnt get knocked out, i was able to pick my bike up and keep racing. I finished out the season with that helmet and then sold the bike and most of the gear and kept my helmet.

Fast forward to me getting back into bikes and after my first ride back i pulled the liner out of the helmet to wash it and noticed the foam on the inside had a crack in it. On further inspection i noticed i could see where it had been compressed. That helmet went straight back on the shelf and i got a new one. Your brain is too important to re use helmets that are well past their used by date.

A good helmet is not expensive either. my m2r was $200. You dont need to replace it after every crash but if you have had a concussion with it then it definitely needs replacing

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
 I got lucky on mine, Thor force  for $50 new off of ebay. Just keep an eye out and if something pops up cheap or on sale pick it up.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
All well and good til you live out your days as a drooling vegetable that has had one too many hits. Concussions are REALLY BAD, Mmmkay.

Thats my problem.

Years ago when i gave up dirt bikes I had a crash in one of my last races. I hit my head but didnt get knocked out, i was able to pick my bike up and keep racing. I finished out the season with that helmet and then sold the bike and most of the gear and kept my helmet.

Fast forward to me getting back into bikes and after my first ride back i pulled the liner out of the helmet to wash it and noticed the foam on the inside had a crack in it. On further inspection i noticed i could see where it had been compressed. That helmet went straight back on the shelf and i got a new one. Your brain is too important to re use helmets that are well past their used by date.

A good helmet is not expensive either. my m2r was $200. You dont need to replace it after every crash but if you have had a concussion with it then it definitely needs replacing

My personal income is $20 a week. It would take me an entire term of school to earn money for a new helmet. My folks will retire in a few years so I'm not asking them to pay for it.

Everything is expensive to me at the moment. I'm also going to have to replace my harddrive soon possibly my motherboard and if I replace my motherboard I have to replace my CPU aswell which will total no less than $400.

When I start getting more serious next year, I'll replace the helmet thats actually PLANNED. Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Shoei VFX, I absolutely love mine!!!!

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
you are young you need that brain for a long time! Shoei is by far my favorite look for last years model to save some money, also black or white is much cheaper than those cool paint jobs.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:44 AM »
you are young you need that brain for a long time! Shoei is by far my favorite look for last years model to save some money, also black or white is much cheaper than those cool paint jobs.

Thats a good point, I mean the part about hte black and white. Who gives a damn what the other riders at the track think of you? When you're good enough to blow past them on a bike half the displacement, you get to laugh.

If money isn't a worry, get top notch gear now. Otherwise, buy medium grade gear now. Stay away from the cheap stuff. Well Helmets can be an exception. But in terms of your armor, jersey, pants etc. Go medium grade stuff. I also recommend a helmet in the 200-300 price range. It'll keep you safe. well safer. Alot of freestylers use Shoie, that should tell you something :P

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
Had more then a few ARAI helmets.Quality product.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
I have an ARAI helmet. I have nothing to complain about, its probably saved my arse multiple times, so I'm probably going to replace it with another ARAI.