Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.  (Read 14151 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 01:34:32 PM »
I agree with you vintageblue on the 3rd world issue but as teriks said that is already being delt with.

What I was talking about was "High Perforance Engines".

Making DI work in a 13,000rpm screamer race engine is alot harder to achieve then in a low horse power scooter or weed wacker.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
In another thread it appears that an Athena DI equipped Aprilia 50 (?) is revving to at least 11,500 rpm so maybe we are closer then we think. ;D

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »
KTM already has a DI 300 exc that is working. they will release it when emissions require it. all the problems have been overcome so all there is to do is wait until the emission laws are strict enough to make DI on a 2 stroke necessary.

This is a quote from the July issue of Australasian Dirt Bike Magazine from Rob Twyerould who is KTM australia's tech guru.
" there is definitely a well developed prototype at KTM, but they are waiting for the next round of emission restrictions to be announced before pushing forward. KTM has developed and patented its own mechanical fuel pump system and a very compact oil delivery system to the bottom end bearings and the whole bike works really well. While there has been some reasonable performance improvements the real advantages of the system are in emissions and fuel economy. so the motivation for bringing to market will only come with the new emission targets."

A couple of questions i have tho.
1) with a self lubricating bottom end, will that mean there is no need to premix?
2) with no unburnt fuel and air escaping out the pipe will there still be a need for an expansion chamber?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
A couple of questions i have tho.
1) with a self lubricating bottom end, will that mean there is no need to premix?
2) with no unburnt fuel and air escaping out the pipe will there still be a need for an expansion chamber?

Question 1: No primix.

Question 2: I think yes, but maybe a bit different then normal. Not 100%.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »

Yes.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »
Etec sleds use grease filled bearings, they also have oil injection to the lower end.
Yes fuel cools the bottom end on a race engine.
IF ktm has a injected 300 how come nobody has ever seen it or ridden it? It is a yeti/yowie/sasquatch ;D if at all the would have is a throttle body in place of a carburetor. Not direct injection.
Most motorcycles in developing and developed Asian countries are already 4 T powered.
A performance two stroke will always have a chamber