Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Interesting Ebay bike sales stats  (Read 2403 times)

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
Interesting Ebay bike sales stats
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
http://www.vitalmx.com/%2Fforums%2FMoto-Related%2C20%2FBike-Sales-Per-Stroke-Cut-and-Pasted-from-another-thread-in-another-Country-Far-Far-away%2C1212455

"A good friend of mine and obsessive computer geek who's currently doing an MA in 'Internet Trend and Development Research' in the US has been working on a programme that can analyse and monitor activity on pretty much any website and can break down any amount of data for any research purposes (advertising/webpage hits etc). He's been doing some testing on it so I asked if it would be able to do a breakdown on ebay of MX bike successful sales in the UK.

So, he went much further than that and came up with the following stats (all UK based)

73% of MX bike advertisements are 4 stroke

24% of MX bike advertisements are 2 stroke

3% are unknown (not sure what that means)

Out of those sales in total 59% are successful on Ebay which is below average (successful computer console sales for example are 93%). The break down of that figure is more interesting though.

97% of 2 stroke sales are successful and only 31% of 4 stroke sales are successful.

84% of 2 strokes sell beyond their sellers reserve price and only 17% of the 4 stroke sales do the same.

It all looks pretty bad for 4 stroke sales but it's even worse if you look at the fact that those successful sales figures were almost a complete reversal in 2008 in favour of 4 strokes and in just 2 years 4 strokes simply do not sell. further the volume of 4 strokes being advertised on ebay has increased more than 50% in 24 months where as the advertising of 2 strokes has decreased by 69% in the same time.

I found it quite interesting and it seems to point to a trend in 2 stroke Vs 4 Stroke in the UK. "JB65 VitalMX

Very very interesting indeed...more evidence for our two stroke case!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:35:25 PM by RM250 Evan »
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Ebay bike sales stats
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »
Memorizing these numbers should be mandatory for all members of this board.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »
DATA REGISTERED TO LOCAL MEMORY DRIVE MX:
ALL DATA CACHED
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
One look at the local Craigslist and Kijiji sites will tell a similar story:2T prices are going up and 4T prices are WAY down.

As for the memorizing part,my harddrive fried years ago. :-X

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
Very nice information.
Will be interesting to see what will happen in the future.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »
I've been helping a friend look for a 125. On CL, I found a great deal on a 02CR125, but then I found a 97 YZ125 the guy wants $1800, and it's a beat POS. everything else 2stroke was from $1500 to $3500 and slim pickings,
there were 3 times as many 4st on there, and out of curiousity I read the descriptions

Not running
switching to two stroke
will run with a 250 2st
LOW HOURS, yeah right
New piston & rings (what about the timing chain,chain guide, valves and cam holders)
full Titanium-carbon fiber  exhaust
Never raced

If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »
My favorite
Only ridden on Sundays.

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
The last bike i sold on Ebay was in 2004 and it was like pulling teeth to get rid of a good condition 97 RM250 with black excel rims, nice graphics and plastic, new chrome cylinder, fresh top end, etc....  I ended up getting just over $1600, but felt that it's real value was closer to $1800/$1900.  Since then I decided Ebay was not the place to sell stuff so I didn't even try advertising my 2001 RM250 there (which I just sold last November).

Now I wish I had of, because I gave that bike away for $1500 and it was in even better condition.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:37 AM »
About a decade ago I made a small fortune selling rare vintage bikes on Evilbay.Most of these bikes were long forgotten makes that were sold in the "Other makes" section of "Motorcycles".Back then listing were in the 260 to 300 bikes listed range and that has shrunk to a present 130 bikes so you can see which way the economy is headed.As well,a bike that is listed for $1500 in November (with few responses) will usually sell in a weekend in April for significantly more.It's all about timing.;D