Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: tried out an rmz 250  (Read 12585 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: tried out an rmz 250
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
Wait a minute.  If Ford shifted his SX thirteen times in a lap... that means that he couldn't possibly be in the same gear at the end of a lap as he was in the beginning.  He had to either go up a gear or down a gear.  Either there's some inconsistency, or at the end of a ten-lap race he'd be in 12th gear or something!

I know, normal people aren't supposed to think of these things.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »
No one ever said you were normal jetz  :P

P.S Fords have always bean strange  ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
Wait a minute.  If Ford shifted his SX thirteen times in a lap... that means that he couldn't possibly be in the same gear at the end of a lap as he was in the beginning.  He had to either go up a gear or down a gear.  Either there's some inconsistency, or at the end of a ten-lap race he'd be in 12th gear or something!

JETZcorp - WOW!! You figured that out? Yet you left out one simple thing.. if you start out in first at the start, when you come around for the second lap you don't shift back down to first.

To quote Mr. Know-it-all "You should have known."  ;D ;D ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »
What if you started in 2nd?
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 03:29:38 AM »
Or if you had a 490, you probably even started in third!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 05:02:45 AM »
If you were able to start in a higher gear, you wouldn't have to shift thirteen times in a lap!  ??? ???
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
Take a trip to europe and you will probable find that diesel cars out number gas engines

Yeah, they do. Well at least they are just as popular as petrol cars. The new diesels do pack a punch. The main reason why people buy diesels here is because diesel fuel is slightly cheaper than petrol, and a regular diesel has much, much better fuel economy than petrol. Besides, they last longer, although are more expensive to buy, and parts are also not too cheap (old diesel- bad idea  :(  ). But seriously, the new diesel cars have really great performance, especially the torque in the low rev range is awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think diesels won the Le Mans recently, competing directly with petrol cars...

I wonder, what the characteristics of a two stroke diesel would be. What would a two stroke diesel motorcycle be like to ride. When you think about it, diesels are more efficient and reliable then petrol engines. Two strokes also have their advantages. If you pair up these two designs maybe you get the best motorcycle engine ever made ?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:54:58 AM by DangisMX »

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
Wait a minute.  If Ford shifted his SX thirteen times in a lap... that means that he couldn't possibly be in the same gear at the end of a lap as he was in the beginning.  He had to either go up a gear or down a gear.  Either there's some inconsistency, or at the end of a ten-lap race he'd be in 12th gear or something!

JETZcorp - WOW!! You figured that out? Yet you left out one simple thing.. if you start out in first at the start, when you come around for the second lap you don't shift back down to first.

To quote Mr. Know-it-all "You should have known."  ;D ;D ;D

Exactly so.Standing start for both as most tracks I know of don't allow a rolling start ???
I actually never thought about it until my CRF riding buddy asked me so I started,did one lap and counted-13.Of course,consecutive laps would be 12 as I used 2-5 for that track but started in first.The Berg I used 3-4 and started in third.The YZ I shift 4 times.Starting in 2nd and using 2-4 for the lap.
On the other hand Jetz, if train A leaves Boston with two engines and 30 cars traveling sse  averaging 30kph and train B leaves Chicago with one engine and loaded with 20 cars of Maico parts headed for scrap iron recycler......
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:35:10 AM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
No one ever said you were normal jetz  :P

P.S Fords have always bean strange  ;)

Can't argue with either point there. :D

Offline losec

• Intermediate
  • naaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 01:23:48 PM »
Take a trip to europe and you will probable find that diesel cars out number gas engines

Yeah, they do. Well at least they are just as popular as petrol cars. The new diesels do pack a punch. The main reason why people buy diesels here is because diesel fuel is slightly cheaper than petrol, and a regular diesel has much, much better fuel economy than petrol. Besides, they last longer, although are more expensive to buy, and parts are also not too cheap (old diesel- bad idea  :(  ). But seriously, the new diesel cars have really great performance, especially the torque in the low rev range is awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think diesels won the Le Mans recently, competing directly with petrol cars...

I wonder, what the characteristics of a two stroke diesel would be. What would a two stroke diesel motorcycle be like to ride. When you think about it, diesels are more efficient and reliable then petrol engines. Two strokes also have their advantages. If you pair up these two designs maybe you get the best motorcycle engine ever made ?

just look at WTCC (WorldTouringCarChampionship) petrol and diesel cars race neck and neck, dont reall know if theres any advantage between petrol and diesel in that series but they trade wins at least
I never crash -I just make unexpected decelerations

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
Wait a minute.  If Ford shifted his SX thirteen times in a lap... that means that he couldn't possibly be in the same gear at the end of a lap as he was in the beginning.  He had to either go up a gear or down a gear.  Either there's some inconsistency, or at the end of a ten-lap race he'd be in 12th gear or something

Actually he could be.

Assuming that he doesn't count N to 1:
1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - 3
9 - false neutral
10 - 2
11 - 3
12 - 2
13 - 1  <-- Woo hoo! back in first!

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »
and it depends on the condition of the track and how long it was..

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »

9 - false neutral

Actually,the old SX was famous/infamous for this on a 2-1 down shift especially under power mid corner/berm which led me to low side face plants on numerous occasions.So much so that I stopped doing it and just left it in 2nd and burned the clutch instead-much to the dismay of my previously knee slapping,hacking and gagging  riding buddies. >:( :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:09:39 PM by ford832 »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
The diesels are competing in Le Mans, but they've got a handicap.  While the gas cars have to be naturally-aspirated, the diesels can get a nice, fat turbo and some extra displacement to support their high-compression, low-rev way of doing things.  When they allowed gas engines to be boosted and as big as the current diesels, some of them were cranking out upward of a thousand horses, which was so crazy it just had to be stopped.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The rules had to accommodate the need for a high capacity engine with a turbocharger and high boost, whereas both possibilities are no longer allowed for gasoline engines, as these had developed over 1,000 hp (746 kW; 1,014 PS) in several race series of the past.

One example is the Porsche 917 which, after competing in Le Mans, made a showing in Can-Am racing with a 5.4L engine (slightly smaller than Audi's new R10 Diesel Le Mans winner) with some turbos, producing over 1,500 horsepower in 1972.  After that, the SCCA needed a way to get rid of these beasts (because no one could touch the German engineering) and so they declared that a car's mileage had to be at least - get this - three miles per gallon!

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
At least three miles per gallon :D. Impressive numbers.